Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 21:13   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 209
Google earth plugin

Hi, i have installed the google earth plugin and it works as it should within opencpn. But now when i try using google earth outside opencpn i get "cant find file". How can i restore google earth and still ust it with opencpn?

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 22:00   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Andy...
Does it say which file it can't find? A screenshot? The plugin does nothing that should cause that.

Pavel
__________________

__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 05:06   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 270
Re: Google earth plugin

Pavel, did you see my post on a bug in the plugin?
FS#1393 : ship position display
__________________
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:55   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Baikal...
Yes, I have. What is it's connection with Andy's problem I don't understand though.
If you just hitched this thread to make sure your completely unrelated problem was spotted, then yes, it was - It's a problem in GoogleEarth I know about for years. No solution to work it around reliably found so far.

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 07:29   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 270
Re: Google earth plugin

It is clear! Thanks for the clarification!

Probably the best option for the plugin will display satellite images loading tile map services and keeping them on the PC to cache transfer opportunities
__________________
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:13   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Baikal...
Technically for sure and not hard to do. The question is how long it will take Google to come with legal complaints

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:17   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 209
Re: Google earth plugin

When i tried GE, windows could not find "googleearth.exe. so i deleted the shortcut and made a new one. Works perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:48   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 270
Re: Google earth plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Baikal...
Technically for sure and not hard to do. The question is how long it will take Google to come with legal complaints

Pavel
alternatively, you can use the data "mapquest" license allows them to use the material even for commercial navigation applications.

Still need more detail to understand the essence of the conditions of use map services Google, Bing, Yandex.
Perhaps there are exceptions for open source software
__________________
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Google earth plugin

Hi, I had open CPN 3.2.2 given to me by a friendly cruiser. He included Google earth for the Fiji area. Combined with the GPS for the lap top gives superb reef and difficult entrance navigation. How do I down load Google for other areas. Please reply for a non geek
__________________
southseasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:29   #10
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,810
Re: Google earth plugin

Any chance of supporting this using mingw? This would allow linux and mac users to use this plugin (using wine) but so far I am stuck on trying to compile earth.idl using widl with seemingly endless errors.

Alternately, maybe we can build a system which just opens a browser of a specified size to a certain lat and lon, then screenshots it to quilt in the chart data that way and produce kap files.
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 270
Re: Google earth plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Baikal...
Yes, I have. What is it's connection with Andy's problem I don't understand though.
If you just hitched this thread to make sure your completely unrelated problem was spotted, then yes, it was - It's a problem in GoogleEarth I know about for years. No solution to work it around reliably found so far.

Pavel
If the plugin settings to disable display position and then turn the ship, the position reappears.
Maybe try to make Auto on and off this option after a certain time?
Want to hope that the plug will be finalized by.
__________________
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:08   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseasailor View Post
Hi, I had open CPN 3.2.2 given to me by a friendly cruiser. He included Google earth for the Fiji area. Combined with the GPS for the lap top gives superb reef and difficult entrance navigation. How do I down load Google for other areas. Please reply for a non geek
southseasailor...
Geek or non geek, the response is the same, you have to learn a little bit about what you are actually using to get the best out of it.
What you got from your buddy is most likely a set of KAP charts created with GE2KAP. This plugin does something different - It integrates GoogleEarth itself with OpenCPN.
Have a look at Terry's excellent work covering the usage of GE for navigation http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/googleearth.htm
Once you get familiar with what's what and how to use it, you can create your own KAP charts for the areas you are interested in.

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
If the plugin settings to disable display position and then turn the ship, the position reappears.
Maybe try to make Auto on and off this option after a certain time?
Want to hope that the plug will be finalized by.
Baikal...

Yes, a known "workaround". The problem is that GE stops reading the information we present it at any time and there's no way for us to know about it, so what is the time to reset automatically? Every minute? Every 5 minutes? Every hour?

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: Google earth plugin

Sean...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Any chance of supporting this using mingw? This would allow linux and mac users to use this plugin (using wine) but so far I am stuck on trying to compile earth.idl using widl with seemingly endless errors.
Welcome to the COM hell. This thing is hard to get working correctly and reliably even on native Windows.
Quote:
Alternately, maybe we can build a system which just opens a browser of a specified size to a certain lat and lon, then screenshots it to quilt in the chart data that way and produce kap files.
The only technically sane solution serving our purpose is a local tile cache having a copy of the actual imagery from the servers for the areas we are interested in (easy, the algos to locate the tiles are well known). The problem is that it is not exactly how Google and other owners of the tiles think we should implement this stuff.
For Google imagery, there is a component which makes the "browser" approach possible and even legal and is supposed to replace the GE API this plugin uses. For me it does not solve the problem though as I want to cache data locally and access them offline, which the component makes impossible. And if I wanted the KAPs, there already is GE2KAP which suits the purpose more than well.

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 22:44   #15
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,810
Re: Google earth plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Sean...
...

For Google imagery, there is a component which makes the "browser" approach possible and even legal and is supposed to replace the GE API this plugin uses. For me it does not solve the problem though as I want to cache data locally and access them offline, which the component makes impossible. And if I wanted the KAPs, there already is GE2KAP which suits the purpose more than well.

Pavel
Are you able to run ge2kap on linux? First, I cannot even find the full source code to the program, secondly the installer in wine doesn't work.
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
google, google earth, plug

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Earth Plugin r.fairman OpenCPN 417 15-02-2015 12:15
Google Earth Plugin hcolvin1 Navigation 9 02-11-2013 12:29
Turkey Blocks Google Earth & Google Maps MarkJ Europe & Mediterranean 7 04-07-2010 13:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.