Thank you for a comprehensive post. Plenty to think about.
- Version 3.2.2. After looking at the code it seems that only versions 4.0 and above can be supported. The plugin relies on MouseEventHook method only recently introduced in OpenCPN
- Amount of data and network latency. Several users emailed about their plugin experience. Network connectivity, even under the existing setup, remains a problem for some. This is especially noticeable for those who are located far from "developed world". Certainly compression
would help. I was thinking of adding a simple Gzip to start.
- Plugin hanging and separate thread. Thanks for narrowing down the problem! I had an open issue for this problem but you've helped with the actual code line: https://github.com/goodanchorage/goo...ge_pi/issues/9
- Also opened issues for offline mode icon, preferences dialog and stale marker removal
: #10, 11, and 12.
- Yes, eventually we will allow adding new anchorages
. Good point about a simple website link though.
- Tracks would be a great feature. Want to explore it a bit more before saying definitively. One of the things we are trying to do is to not blindly repeat features that others have done. Happy to bounce the ideas on this one.
I'll absolutely turn to you with some questions about OpenCPN. There are already a couple of bugs that I can't figure out on my own. Of course me not being a C++ developer doesn't help the progress either. :-)
Considering how many features remain to be build on our site, I'm looking for somebody to hopefully take over GA's plugin. Not sure how these arrangements work, but open to suggestions and grateful for any help.