Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 19:20   #1

GLL Invalid Field Count Error

Hello,

I am attempting to set up opencpn with my furuno gp-500 gps (old I know). I can see the nmea data coming in, but in the opencpn.log file I see a "GLL, Invalid FieldCount" error.

The GLL sentence comes in as follows: "$GPGLL, 3730.554, N, 122.700, W"

I understand there is supposed to be more after the coordinates, like a checksum. Is this likely a GPS problem or something else I may be able to work out? This GPS has worked reliably with Capn Voyager.

I would post a screen shot but since I'm on an iPhone I can't. I did post one a few days back on page 2 of the "GPS not seen" thread. I am now using a different computer and am plugged directly into a serial port, no more USB adapter.

Thanks for any advice!
Eclipse145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 19:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

GLL

Eclipse145....

The GLL sentence you are receiving is an archaic form, in that it does not include the fix-time value. This harks from the old loran days, when accurate time was not provided by the receiver. Some early GPS receivers choose to emulate a loran receiver in this manner.

But it is what you have, and it works with other ECSs, so I suppose we should allow this sentence. I'll make the update in the next Beta, a couple of days from now.

Can the Furuno be persuaded to send more data? Any config options like "Emulate Loran", etc.... How about other sentences, like RMC. These may be too modern, though....

The current Beta 527 works fine without checksums.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 20:30   #3

Thanks for the info! Sounds great, I'll have to check out one of the newer beta's and report back. It will probably be next weekend before I am back on the boat.

The GPS does not have any such options, all I can really do is set the interval between sentences.

Thanks,
Dan
Eclipse145 is offline   Reply With Quote