Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 06:45   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequel View Post
Manimaul--The link in your reply loaded 1.1beta. I tried loading from your gippy site, and 1.11beta installed and ran well. Thanks for your efforts.
Whoops, good catch... here is the latest beta for anyone else.

Gippy-1.11beta.deb
Old 25-04-2010, 23:14   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul
As far as I know gpsd does not handle non gps nmea sentences like depth, wind or weather.
I know it used to *not* do wind, VMG etc, but I haven't really been following new development. I've got a fuzzy memory that I added support for depth some years ago, but that might just be a dream or a local hack, and I might be getting that mixed up with gpsbabel's NMEA's support, which I added transducer temp/depth support to just a few months ago.

Quote:
I plan on adding these capabilities to Gippy, so I decided to read directly from the 0183 data.
--Do not be the man in the middle--. Instead be a gpsd client requesting raw NMEA output. In the old API this was simply "R", now is it some {?WATCH=raw} or something that looks like that but is rather more complicated. Parse the gpsd served copy. If you do not have a NMEA GPS (binary protocol), pseudo-NMEA will be generated for you (bugily?) by gpsd, but obviously that will not include extra instrument data.

Quote:
I am open to suggestions if I am wrong about gpsd here. I'm sure Hamish will chime in here if that is the case.
;-) if you insist.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 23:30   #33

nightview linux laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Redshift « jonls devblog

It's really a port of f.lux for windows, it doesnt do a true ngiht view, it just makes the desktop redder/warmer depending on location lat/long and time of day, it takes some getting used to but I'm now firmly addicted to it
thanks for the tip!

fwiw, here are some of the nighttime redification tricks I use on my linux laptop:

Terminal (lightweight rxvt) menu entries: (fg=black)
Code:
  [exec] (Rxvt day) {rxvt -bg ivory}
  [exec] (Rxvt twilight) {rxvt -bg '#8f5c5c'}
  [exec] (Rxvt night) {rxvt -bg '#6f3c3c'}

.xsession (X11 startup) entries: (see screenshot below)

Code:
rclock -bg '#8F0000' -geometry 58x58-0+0 &

wmcpuload -bl -lc '#8F0000' &
wmmemload -bl -c -b -lc '#8F0000' &

# (wmtemp rebuilt with patch from Debian bug tracker)
wmtemp -bl -lc '#8F0000' &

# hide the mouse cursor after 5 sec of inactivity:
unclutter -idle 5 -root &

# black desktop BG
xsetroot -solid black &

# screen blackout screensaver timeout 300sec
xset s 300

# poweroff laptop backlight soon after; dpms: standby_sec, suspend_sec, off_sec
xset dpms 0 330 400
... use minimal WM (e.g. fluxbox), autohide taskbars (dark), no desktop icons.

darkish firefox themes:
Code:
  nasa night launch
  redshift V3

about:config
    browser.display.background_color  #5F0000
(really we should put together a custom one for this as there seems to be a gap in the market)

Hamish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red_cpumons.png
Views:	142
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	15630  
Old 25-04-2010, 23:36   #34

also, there used to be an option you could pass to `startx` which would let you alter the R,G,B,gamma output levels X11 sent to the monitor. It was meant to help re-balance things if you got stuck with a half-burnt out gone-green CRT, but could be repurposed into a full-X11 red-at-night startup mode. I'm not sure if it is still in the latest versions of X.org X11, I last looked at this a couple of years back. But it might be worth checking out.
Old 26-04-2010, 20:00   #35

Some fixes + lat long format options
Gippy-1.2.1beta.deb

Code:
Roadmap:
font color picker
font picker
auto night mode
remember window position

add gpsd read support
remove gpsd output option
improve information in about window

kml / Google Earth view controls
range
tilt
follow mode toggle on/off
north up / course up

sog and cog dampening functions
analog guages
sog speedometer
cog compass
Old 27-04-2010, 00:30   #36

fwiw, strictly speaking remembering window position is primarily the job of your WM, not the app. (assuming that your WM of choice hasn't been dumbed down to the point where it won't let you do that on a per app basis anymore)
Having said that, it would be nice if the app respected a -geometry command line option like xterm (and most x11 apps, see `man X`, .Xresources), I suspect there's a wxPython builtin support for parsing this somewhere already.
Old 27-04-2010, 18:15   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
fwiw, strictly speaking remembering window position is primarily the job of your WM, not the app. (assuming that your WM of choice hasn't been dumbed down to the point where it won't let you do that on a per app basis anymore)
Having said that, it would be nice if the app respected a -geometry command line option like xterm (and most x11 apps, see `man X`, .Xresources), I suspect there's a wxPython builtin support for parsing this somewhere already.
In wxpython the start position is specified. Gippy always starts dead center of your screen. In the future it will remember position and start there. I might also make the window border optional. (kwin window manager can do this already on its own.)

As for geometry, Gippy automatically resizes itself to the smallest possible window to display all available data. So window size can be controlled by what choices you make on types of data to display. After version 1.3 window size will also be determined by what font size is chosen.

Hamish, have you got Gippy to run on Debian Lenny yet? If it does I would like to modify the installer control file to require an earlier version of python.

Will
Old 28-04-2010, 06:53   #38

Boat: 31' Downeast Cruiser
I run OpenCPN/Gippy on a netbook, 10.5" 1024 x 600 screen. My goal is to get as much USEFUL stuff on the screen as possible while keeping what is going on with OpenCPN as visible as possible.

Is it possible to defeat the automatic resizing? Using CompizConfig Settings Manager I start with Gippy in a very small window at the lower left of the screen, showing only SOG and COG, which I find are the only data I need on a minute by minute basis. I start with out the GPS Status pane truncated out because there are all kinds of other ways to determine GPS Status. However Gippy decides that I need to know GPS Status so it "grows" the window in height to show the pane. Likewise it grows the window in width to show the ordinal directions of COG, when I just need the degree reading. Interestingly enough Gippy seems to fight with CompizConfig over control of the window. When underway the window changes size pretty regularly (every few seconds depending on what the boat is doing).

Just a niggling point: The settings window is a little too high to fit on my screen. The result is that the "apply" and "ok" buttons are not really accessible. The apply button is actually truncated to a sliver only a couple pixels high, so it takes pretty good aim with the mouse to hit it. The ok button is just off the bottom of the screen, so alt-drag works.

Thanks for your efforts.
Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 09:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Hamish, have you got Gippy to run on Debian Lenny yet? If it does I would like to modify the installer control file to require an earlier version of python.
no, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Replacing the 3 degree signs by "N/A d" got past the unicode error.
- does git has some 'svn propset' command to lock the encoding into place? maybe the github server is to blame?
- could you use the octal code for it instead of the raw character? would that survive i18n?

next issue is that Lenny shipped with gpsd 2.37, which due to a last minute bug had python-gps depending on python2.4. No problem as gpsd 2.39 is available for Lenny from (the official) backports.org, and that one is fine with python 2.5.

next I had to edit the settings.py hardcoded 'cp' to use a relative path to gippy.kml as I am just running it out of the git checkout without installing it.

final one which I need to try tomorrow is that gippy exited with an error as my user account doesn't have write permission to /dev/shm/. (root.root rwxr--r--).

Hamish
Old 28-04-2010, 09:21   #40

I'm just using LANG=C or LANG=en_US by the way
Old 28-04-2010, 09:25   #41

message cosmetics:

could it use "%02d" for minutes and "%06.03f" for seconds?
Old 30-04-2010, 06:48   #42

Bug:

I found a bug that is in all versions of Gippy where; If you have Gippy outputting to a virtual com port that no other software is reading from, the virtual com port character device will "fill up" causing Gippy to hang. I haven't determined if this is an upstream bug or not... but hope to have it fixed soon.

For now, if you're using Gippy... make sure you only output to the number of virtual com ports that you are using.

Will
Old 12-05-2010, 20:42   #43

night vision

Hi,

fyi this article might be of interest to those following the night-mode part of this thread:

Night Vision - The Red Myth

I disagree with the title/premise of it though, if anything to me it explains why using red lights is good for the kinds of work you have to do at night on a ship, and I don't think I'll be changing my lighting any time soon.

oh well, grains of salt ...

Hamish
Old 13-05-2010, 10:17   #44
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
Hi,

fyi this article might be of interest to those following the night-mode part of this thread:

I disagree with the title/premise of it though, if anything to me it explains why using red lights is good for the kinds of work you have to do at night on a ship, and I don't think I'll be changing my lighting any time soon.

oh well, grains of salt ...

Hamish
Very interesting. I'll have to read it again closer and then do some research, but at first read I think I agree with your assessment.

If nothing else, I think the red lets other people know you are in a limited light situation so they will be less likely to turn on a bright light.

And for myself, I find a red-shifted computer screen easier to read than a severely darkened full color one.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 08:44   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Excerpted from ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-29261.html

Extremely dim light of any colour will preserve night vision, since that’s what night vision is for - for seeing in extremely dim light. At these EXTREMELY dim levels, blue-green is the light wavelength we are most sensitive to, and therefore can be used at lower intensity levels than any other extremely dim colour.

Red light preserves night vision, at a higher intensity level than any other colour, since the dim light elements of the eye are insensitive to red light. This allows you to operate more effectively with red light, as a result of the greater light intensity possible, and therefore more detailed perception of the environment by the red-sensitive elements, of the eye without disrupting your night adaptation.

See also these very important articles:

Night Vision: The Red Myth
http :// stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

Green or Red for Better Night Vision?
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Green or Red for Better Night Vision?
http ://www. equipped.com/nitevision.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote