Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 06:13   #1

Getting set up

Currently we are running maxsea for location but we are wondering about open cpn. We currently have maxsea hooked to the plotter via serial to a round connector with 6 holes (I dont know the name of it). We are able to get our location but are wanting to get dept charting also. We do have a hondex plotter. We are wondering what wire we would use from the windows 10 pc to the dept sounder. Also would raster charts work with this software? One last thing, is there an option to show different colors according to what dept you are in? Sorry for all of the questions as i am new to opencpn and want to try it out.
jackching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Getting set up

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jack.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 11:17   #3

jackching ...

Assume the Hondex is connected to a depth sounder and MaxSea can 'see' the depths? You will not be able to use MaxSea and OpenCPN with the same connection.

If you shut down MaxSea and start OpenCPN the first step is to set up a connection with the Hondex with the same wiring that was used by MaxSea. The user manual has a guide for making a connection.

Show the NMEA debug window. If this window displays the data from the Hondex you can pause it and look for lines that start with something like $IIDBT or $IIDPT. As a first step the plugin 'Dashboard', part of the main OpenCPN program can display those depths.

Raster charts work with OpenCPN but the coverage depends on where you are operating.

Let us know how the connection goes.

Mike
Rasbats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 12:33   #4

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackching View Post
....One last thing, is there an option to show different colors according to what dept you are in? ..
For vector charts like the ones from https://o-charts.org/index.html or CM93 or standard S-57 - Yes.
For raster charts - No.
The latter since a raster chart is just a positioned picture of a scanned paper chart.
The vector charts use data based on a data base where different layers can be displayed in different ways. Like to control different depth colors scheme.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 14:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
For vector charts like the ones from https://o-charts.org/index.html or CM93 or standard S-57 - Yes.
For raster charts - No.
The latter since a raster chart is just a positioned picture of a scanned paper chart.
The vector charts use data based on a data base where different layers can be displayed in different ways. Like to control different depth colors scheme.
You sure? With maxsea i can get different colors with different depts.
Old 24-08-2019, 15:39   #6
Moo

If Maxsea is already working with position and depth just install OCPN and choose the same serial port settings.. (only one prog running at a time assuming you are not muktiplexing).

Raster charts display depth in different colours of course, just like your paper charts, but you can't change them. With vector charts you can configure the colour bands.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:44   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You are asking to much all at once and not being detailed enough.

Opencpn relies on data, most important is gps, secondarily nmea0183 data for instruments and AIS. Most chartplotters have nmea 0183 out which can be used.

Now what is you most important question first.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
If Maxsea is already working with position and depth just install OCPN and choose the same serial port settings.. (only one prog running at a time assuming you are not muktiplexing).

Raster charts display depth in different colours of course, just like your paper charts, but you can't change them. With vector charts you can configure the colour bands.
As i said in the first post its only working with position and not dept. We are wondering what cord is needed from the pc to the hondex dept sounder to get dept charting. Is it usb to GX16-6?
Old 24-08-2019, 16:28   #9
Moo

Quote:
As i said in the first post its only working with position and not dept. We are wondering what cord is needed from the pc to the hondex dept sounder to get dept charting. Is it usb to GX16-6?
You only need one connection. It will be a case of getting the correct sentences transmitted by the plotter. I have never heard of your plotter brand but if tell me the exact model number or better supply a link to an online manual, I'll have a go at seeing what it can do.
Old 25-08-2019, 07:11   #10

Quote:
You only need one connection. It will be a case of getting the correct sentences transmitted by the plotter. I have never heard of your plotter brand but if tell me the exact model number or better supply a link to an online manual, I'll have a go at seeing what it can do.
The plotter model number is HE-7302 II -BB. The dept sounder is HE-777.
Old 25-08-2019, 13:48   #11
Moo

Quote:
The plotter model number is HE-7302 II -BB. The dept sounder is HE-777.

Are you saying that the plotter is not already connected to depth?

No sign of a manual for the 7302 online, in English. Can you scan the connection pages of your manual and post them here?
Old 26-08-2019, 14:58   #12

Quote:
Are you saying that the plotter is not already connected to depth?

No sign of a manual for the 7302 online, in English. Can you scan the connection pages of your manual and post them here?
When we went to the boat this morning, there was no sign of the two being connected together. Also there is no sign of the manual anywhere. God knows where that is.
Old 26-08-2019, 18:15   #13
Moo

Quote:
When we went to the boat this morning, there was no sign of the two being connected together. Also there is no sign of the manual anywhere. God knows where that is.

OK well I won't try to guess. See if you can find a manual.

Perhaps get the manufacturers cable to link the two instruments and then with a manual we can work out what is needed to link the plotter to OpenCPN. You will only need one connection to the computer after correctly networking the instruments.
Old 28-08-2019, 08:50   #14

Quote:
OK well I won't try to guess. See if you can find a manual.

Perhaps get the manufacturers cable to link the two instruments and then with a manual we can work out what is needed to link the plotter to OpenCPN. You will only need one connection to the computer after correctly networking the instruments.
The plotter is already connected to the computer with maxsea and is operational. Here are the connections on the plotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190828_124423.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	198742  
Old 28-08-2019, 10:14   #15
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Manual? This one?