Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 23:00   #1

Garmin USB-USB Cable + Windows7?

Hi,

Anyone running a Garmin over the straight USB cable? [not 4pin barrel -> Serial->USB converter] In this case a GPSmap CSx, but I assume the same holds for other modern garmin handhelds.

I assume that streams the real-time data via the Garmin binary protocol, and that gpsd on UNIX could connect to it (but I didn't try that).

Will it work? or is that usb cable only for post-trip upload/download of rte/trk/wpts? The garmin manual is pretty light on useful details.

In OpenCPN selecting GARMIN from the gps input drop down list doesn't seem to pick it up. The Garmin USB driver seems to be installed ok + visible in the MSWin device manager and the garmin interfaces menu page sees it connected.

It would be a lot more elegant setup if the usb-usb cable can do away with the serial + serial->usb + 12v plug, and so far finding the Windows7 driver for the serial->usb adapter on hand has been a PITA.

thanks,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 01:45   #2

Re: Garmin USB-USB cable + Windows7?

With the usb-usb cable one can indeed do away with the RS-232 cable. It will transmit real-time data as well as waypoints and routes. The USB connection is not affected by protocol setting in the setup menu.

I was using GPS72H in this setup with Windows7 in October/November last year, and use it now with Vista. There was a problem with the first connection and resync after a GPS power loss, but I think it has been solved since in later releases.

P.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 23:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
With the usb-usb cable one can indeed do away with the RS-232 cable. It will transmit real-time data as well as waypoints and routes.
good news indeed.

Quote:
The USB connection is not affected by protocol setting in the setup menu.

I was using GPS72H in this setup with Windows7 in October/November last year, and use it now with Vista. There was a problem with the first connection and resync after a GPS power loss, but I think it has been solved since in later releases.
To clarify because I'm not sure I understand.. so the Toolbox GPS tab NMEA data source selection is completely ignored, and if the Garmin is listed in the Windows Device Manager then OpenCPN sees it there in the background and automatically latches on to it?

If a specific turn on+plug in sequence was(is) needed to get that to work, what was(is) it? (as for me the device manager could see it & said it was ok, but OpenCPN didn't pick it up)

thanks,
Hamish

ps- is it true that Windows7 needs to have an internet connection to download generic (ie probably a Prolific chip) Serial->USB converters? In WindowsXP it seemed to often have them built in.
Old 23-05-2011, 23:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
ps- is it true that Windows7 needs to have an internet connection to download generic (ie probably a Prolific chip) Serial->USB converters? In WindowsXP it seemed to often have them built in.
the key missing word being: "drivers"
(32bit Windows7 on 64bit laptop; no luck finding drivers on the manuf.'s website)
Old 24-05-2011, 02:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
The USB connection is not affected by protocol setting in the setup menu.
I meant the GPS setup menu (Interface tab), as opposed to OCPN Toolbox...

As I recall from Forums - Post 562984">my-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-former-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-post it was best to power up the GPS only after OCPN was ready and listening on GARMIN.

I did a test just now with the USB-USB under Vista.

Fired up 2.4.506, connected GPS72H - no position. Closed 2.4.506
GPS still on.
Fired up 2.3.1 - GPS OK immediately. Closed 2.3.1
Fired up 2.4.506 - GPS OK immediately, but crash on the first attempt to move map with mouse (not reproducible).

Now every time I try 2.4.506, GPS works OK over USB.

P.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin