Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2019, 16:59   #1

Boat: Gemini 3200
Garmin Quickdraw Contours Mapping

I was pretty unhappy when my 12-year-old Raymarine depth instrument failed but after researching options I ordered a Garmin fish finder/chartplotter combination that has a feature I'm excited about. I won't know more until the unit arrives and I get it installed.

It's called Quickdraw Contours Mapping. You turn on the recording feature, drive your boat around and it produces a bottom map with 1' contour lines. The chartplotter saves those maps on a MicroSD card and they can be uploaded to a Garmin Website for sharing (https://connect.garmin.com/start/quickdraw/).

As you would expect from Garmin, there's not a word about the format of those files.

Has anyone looked at them with an eye to incorporating them with OpenCPN? There are many small basins which are not well charted. Running one's own survey of those areas would yield an excellent supplement to the NOAA charts which include those basins.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 08:11   #2

Re: Garmin Quickdraw Contours Mapping

I havnt found a method of viewing them other than on the device or garmins web site.

would be very useful though to see them on open cpn.
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I was pretty unhappy when my 12-year-old Raymarine depth instrument failed but after researching options I ordered a Garmin fish finder/chartplotter combination that has a feature I'm excited about. I won't know more until the unit arrives and I get it installed.

It's called Quickdraw Contours Mapping. You turn on the recording feature, drive your boat around and it produces a bottom map with 1' contour lines. The chartplotter saves those maps on a MicroSD card and they can be uploaded to a Garmin Website for sharing (https://connect.garmin.com/start/quickdraw/).

As you would expect from Garmin, there's not a word about the format of those files.

Has anyone looked at them with an eye to incorporating them with OpenCPN? There are many small basins which are not well charted. Running one's own survey of those areas would yield an excellent supplement to the NOAA charts which include those basins.
Fabbian
The function of creating bathymetry in real time is not only in Garmin but also in Lowrance, Raymаrine.
Something like this can be implemented in the Hydrographic Survey Plugin
https://github.com/Rasbats/survey_pi/releases/tag/v3.0
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-79178-14.html

You can support the developer of the plugin to implement the function of building bathymetry in real time.

As for the Garmin QD format, it is not open.
BUT developers from Russia and Ukraine made a converter that converts QD to GIS format and vice versa.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 07:19   #4

As my garmin is in a rib, it is not practical for me to to run open cpn on a laptop.

the usual thing is to drop rib, do a nip round the potential anch point then choose the best position., hence a transfer of the garmin qd data to the main mav table would be very useful.

Any link to the developers as my google search revealed nothing. Ta
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 07:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtman View Post
As my garmin is in a rib, it is not practical for me to to run open cpn on a laptop.

the usual thing is to drop rib, do a nip round the potential anch point then choose the best position., hence a transfer of the garmin qd data to the main mav table would be very useful.

Any link to the developers as my google search revealed nothing. Ta
The converter is not public and paid.
https://www.rusfishing.ru/forum/thre...#post-11422670
Write in a personal if you are interested.

QD is the processed data, it can be said partially invented. QD is a band of invented measurements 30 meters wide, the edges of which are interpolated and the center is based on single-beam echo sounder data.
There are a lot of mistakes, due to high speed, water level, etc.
Therefore, it is better to do the mapping of the bathymetry yourself in place, if there is such a function in the plugin.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin