Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 10:43   #1

Garmin GPS & OpenCPN, Mac OS X

Hello, all, and I'm just not finding this.

I have a new GPSMAP 78, and according to the OpenCPN manual a might need a driver. From where and then what do I do with it?

Or, will this unit not function at all as a live location indicator on OpenCNP?

I've tried setting the unit to different output formats: Garmin, NMEA etc., and Garmin Spanner. I'm still not getting the live red boat symbol, just the grey, and it thinks I'm somewhere out in the Pacific, thousands of miles from actual location.

Alone, the GPSMAP 78 seems to function very well.

Alone, I can run OpenCPN, although my local charts have disappeared, but that's another question.

Am I missing something obvious? Standard USB connection ...

Thank you.

Charles
ctlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 13:45   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Garmin GPS & OpenCPN, Mac OS X

Have you read the manual section which deals with "Connections". You need to "add" a connection under settings. Do you have your garmin data cable (not the power cable, they look the same but ate different), plugged into the computer? I do not know if Garmin provides a usb driver or if the usb driver is automatically found and also a comm port is assigned for the garmin. If so the comm port number is needed for the opencpn connection settings. Read the manual for better details.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 14:03   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

If you turn on the OpenCPN NMEA debug window do you see anything printed out?

I think it would be best to put the GPSMAP 78 communications format NMEA mode first. Turn off all Garmin modes and set the GPSMAP 78 baud rate to 4800 and the serial port on the computer to the same.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38   #4

Thanks, rgleason.

I'm not finding a manual section about connections, and no way to add a connection under settings. Only one cable came with the unit. That's all I know about cables. Comm port number? I know what that is conceptually, but don't know how to find it on a Mac.

I think it's entirely possible that the Garmin GPSMAP 78 simply cannot be used for live location tracking in OpenCPN.

If I'm missing something basic, please let me know.

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Have you read the manual section which deals with "Connections". You need to "add" a connection under settings. Do you have your garmin data cable (not the power cable, they look the same but ate different), plugged into the computer? I do not know if Garmin provides a usb driver or if the usb driver is automatically found and also a comm port is assigned for the garmin. If so the comm port number is needed for the opencpn connection settings. Read the manual for better details.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:40   #5

Thanks, transmitterdan.

How do I get to the OpenCPN NMEA debug window (on a Mac)?

I don't know how to get to my serial port settings.

Am I missing something basic?

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you turn on the OpenCPN NMEA debug window do you see anything printed out?

I think it would be best to put the GPSMAP 78 communications format NMEA mode first. Turn off all Garmin modes and set the GPSMAP 78 baud rate to 4800 and the serial port on the computer to the same.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21   #6

Boat: Amel Sharki

Charles,
if you are new to OpenCPN you might have a look to the help manual.
Something about connections is here: Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage

However I doubt you will find the needed USB driver for Mac OS X for your Garmin device. It might be better to buy a cheap GPS mouse and to avoid driver problems use a Bluetooth GPS mouse for your Mac.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09   #7

I messed around with my Garmin GPSmap 78sc + MBP and wasn't able to make a USB connection to its data - apparently by default the Garmin driver connects it as a block device in order to use Garmin's Basecamp software. The OpenCPN manual (Setting Up GPS | Official OpenCPN Homepage, GPS Devices | Official OpenCPN Homepage) isn't very helpful wrt Macs yet- if someone has sussed this out they haven't documented it.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17   #8

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlow View Post
Hello, all, and I'm just not finding this.

I have a new GPSMAP 78, and according to the OpenCPN manual a might need a driver. From where and then what do I do with it?

Or, will this unit not function at all as a live location indicator on OpenCNP?

I've tried setting the unit to different output formats: Garmin, NMEA etc., and Garmin Spanner. I'm still not getting the live red boat symbol, just the grey, and it thinks I'm somewhere out in the Pacific, thousands of miles from actual location.

Alone, the GPSMAP 78 seems to function very well.

Alone, I can run OpenCPN, although my local charts have disappeared, but that's another question.

Am I missing something obvious? Standard USB connection ...

Thank you.

Charles
yes. You can't use USB as a serial output port on a Garmin Handheld..they are like car gps in this way..You need to use a special plug to connect the device via the 4pin charge cable under the round rubber plug on the back. 2 pins are for 12volt external power, and 2 pins are for data in/out....

Look up Garmin serial port cables. You can make one or buy one..

However, if your laptop does not have a db(9?) serial port jack (newer ones don't), you will need another adapter for it...a usb->db9 adapter.

but it's all very annoying and you may find it easier to buy a usb puck gps....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes Happy. You explained better. There are two types of cable. He needs the garmin data cable. They may have usb cable.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, garmin, gps, opencpn