Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 19:44   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
interesting, thanks.

... but that uses Redhat's Cygwin. which means you've set up a UNIX emulator within Windows. Technically you can run gpsd on Windows within a UNIX Virtual Machine too, but neither is a stand-alone native app, and both depend on a lot of compatibility-ware to get you there.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 19:59   #17

Boat: Gib'Sea 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
interesting, thanks.

... but that uses Redhat's Cygwin. which means you've set up a UNIX emulator within Windows. Technically you can run gpsd on Windows within a UNIX Virtual Machine too, but neither is a stand-alone native app, and both depend on a lot of compatibility-ware to get you there.

Hamish
hehe. I see your point. In any way I don't think many windows users use gpsd.

In any way thanks for the tip on specifying which device gpsd should talk to. I'll look into it tomorrow when i'm more awake.
amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 20:52   #18
Marine Service Provider

gpsd Windows Client....

HamishB....

Thanks for the feedback.

There is (maybe precisely) one Windows app that supports client side access to gpsd over TCP networks: OpenPCN Version 1.3.6

I use this setup on my boat at sea. Three nav machines (Kubuntu 8.04, W98, and XP or Win7), all taking gps positioning info served by gpsd from another linux box which is also doing WiFi sniffing....

This is admittedly a contrived setup to accelerate opencpn alpha testing, but it is real enough. It will break with gpsd 2.92.

I use the "vile" character query/responses because I was supposed to; they were exposed in the API until recently. Read nmea.cpp. My bad?

BTW, I agree that a gpsd deamon(service) on Windows is probably a bad idea.

I'm reminded of something I read:
"Some good projects start by scratching a developer's itch".
This was one of my itches from the early days of ECS on cheap PCs: every nav machine needs its own serial port NMEA feed. Wires everywhere.....

There is a heinous hack floating around which may work, have not tried it yet. A contrived string sent by the client directly to the gpsd listen port is said to initiate simple streaming of raw NMEA strings to the client. No libgpsd required. We'll see if this works, but its probably too fragile for production...

So, all in all, we will probably implement the new model, with a caveat like:

"OpenCPN for Windows will interface only to gpsd servers prior to Version 2.92"

That's at least a solution which makes an effort to not treat Windows users as second class citizens.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 11:10   #19

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
heh. understand that statement was written by Eric Raymond (ESR) and it is probably very much intended to be provocative. With respect the the "get a better OS" statement, in this case there's a bit of truth to it actually. If you are trying to implement something like multi-client gpsd with sockets etc. on ms windows it would be 1,000% harder and more annoying to get right. if possible at all for a 3rd party to write.

Agree with it or not, the logic goes along the lines of *in the long run* you're not really helping the addict by playing the role of the enabler, or if you prefer, that it's better to put your finite energy into building a viable promised land than it is to put your energy into making slaves' existing lives more comfortable, or fighting the massive powers that be as an abolitionist. Or maybe you just want to make a better world for yourself and your friends, and don't really care what everyone else does in their messy world (e.g. Dr. Perelman refusing the $1M prize for proving the Poincaré conjecture).
Not to distract or go off-topic, but I enjoyed your metaphor and its timing too much to pass up. I don't know if it was intended. For in a couple of days, the first-born projects of our masters will be dead, ours will be passed over, and we will be free to move from Windows slavery into the foss-land.

For the first time in over two decades, I'm playing a lot with unix (mainly Ubuntu variety) both in virtual box and standalone server; it's come along way since Ivo, X10, etc. I must say, it does seem to be a pretty good replacement for win. As long as I don't lose 40 years wandering around looking for the few missing apps I must have that won't run effectively on WINE or in VM :-)

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 11:21   #20

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
welcome to the future Mark..
Old 28-03-2010, 08:49   #21

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
Quote:
Thats not from gpsd folks thou, and us using cygwin a unix enviroment simulation.

There are a few other not connected ports of gpsd to windows as well. But gpsd as such have never suppoerted windows.
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02   #22

Boat: Dufour 35
Ubuntu 10.4 + OpenCPN 2.1.0 buil 331 + gpsd

Today I upgraded my eeepc 901 to Ubuntu(netbook remix) 10.4 (beta), without any real issues.
The latest OpenCPN beta runs and compiles without any apparent problems.
The installed version of gpsd, 2.92-3 , doesn't work, also as expected. The solution to this is however quite simple.
Get rid of the installed version and download:
gpsd 2.39
libgps18
gpsd-client
from any Karmic = 9.10 - repository.
Use dpkg -i to install these packages. Thats it!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Today I upgraded my eeepc 901 to Ubuntu(netbook remix) 10.4 (beta), without any real issues.
The latest OpenCPN beta runs and compiles without any apparent problems.
The installed version of gpsd, 2.92-3 , doesn't work, also as expected. The solution to this is however quite simple.
Get rid of the installed version and download:
gpsd 2.39
libgps18
gpsd-client
from any Karmic = 9.10 - repository.
Use dpkg -i to install these packages. Thats it!

Thomas
Hi again Thomas

What GPS are you using? How do you mount without USBFS? To install old packages is easy. . That they don't want to support USBFS any more is a bigger problem.

Amadeus
amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:26   #24

Quote:
Hi again Thomas

What GPS are you using? How do you mount without USBFS? To install old packages is easy. . That they don't want to support USBFS any more is a bigger problem.

Amadeus
I'm using a gps mouse, BU-353, with usb connection.
Once you plug it in, gpsd starts, if it isn't already running.
Gpsd then automatically finds where the gps is plugged in. It's all automatic, and just works.

From Ubuntus kernel-team mailing list:
Quote:
Modern systems do not use usbfs; the entries within it are files,
not device nodes, and do not support ACLs which are the default way to
provide access to USB devices to untrusted users.

It is replaced by device-nodes maintained by udev in /dev/bus/usb,
libusb uses this device nodes.
I'm not familiar with your garmin, but there are a lot of discussions around, regarding Ubuntu not supporting usbfs anymore. For example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/507824
[ubuntu] USBFS mounts don't mount since upgrade to 2.6.31-18-generic on 64-bit Karmic - Ubuntu Forums

Thomas
Old 09-04-2010, 04:13   #25

new gpsd API

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
So, all in all, we will probably implement the new model, with a caveat like:

"OpenCPN for Windows will interface only to gpsd servers prior to Version 2.92"
fyi, test if you are talking to the new or old libgis API by #ifdef'ing
GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION.

see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user/3879/

in the new gpsd API you can turn on watch mode with:
?WATCH={"enable":true,"raw":true}

see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user/3929/

If you managed to get gpsd running on Windows using the old API, I imagine getting it to run with the new API can't be so impossible. You've already climbed the hardest mountain..

Hamish
Old 09-04-2010, 04:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
For the first time in over two decades, I'm playing a lot with unix (mainly Ubuntu variety) both in virtual box and standalone server; it's come along way since Ivo, X10, etc. I must say, it does seem to be a pretty good replacement for win. As long as I don't lose 40 years wandering around looking for the few missing apps I must have that won't run effectively on WINE or in VM :-)
from an ubuntu terminal write: "apt-cache search (search term)" to search the package descriptions of 15k+ packages (assuming you are pulling from all sources) which are just an "apt-get install ..." away. the ubuntu package installer has something similar, but you have to make sure you tell it to search the entire debian back catalog, not just the core ubuntu set.

for me it took about 6 months to find suitable replacements to old Windows apps. they are all there, and often better, the hardest part is just getting a hint about the friggin app's name. the longest app for me to give up running via Wine was TextPad, but then I found nedit. the defaults which ship with ubuntu(s) are just one set among many (indeed Many). if you get stuck finding a replacement for something, just ask.

Hamish
"not all those that wander are lost"
Old 14-04-2010, 23:51   #27

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
if you get stuck finding a replacement for something, just ask.
Or give it a google (linux replacement for..) or go to those wikipedia lists (software listed by purpose)
Old 27-07-2010, 14:11   #28

Hello. I am not sure if I understood all correct, so maybe someone can answer this question:

I am trying to use:
Ubuntu 10.04
gpsd 2.92
Garmin GPS 60CSx connected via USB
OpenCpn Version 2.1.0 Build 624a

Any chance to get it running?

Thanks a lot

klabattermann
klabattermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 14:25   #29

This thread is a bit dated by now.
Unless there are some issues with your Garmin, which I don't know about, you should have no problems.
Instructions here Setting Up GPS | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Scroll down a bit to find the Linux instructions.

Thomas
Old 28-07-2010, 04:24   #30

Hi Thomas,

I already followed the instructions. But it is not working with opencpn. I have a position using xgps but there is no report coming up in opencpn, even if I activate the "show-messages"-window.

As I understood this thread the new gpsd-version is not compatible to opencpn anymore. Is that still the case? Is there any other solution?

Thanks a lot

Martin
klabattermann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin