Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 14:55   #31

Re: Free OpenCPN Android Download Available Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmanforfun View Post
...I would love to see a OpenCPN autopilot "plug on". My friend just made a Open Source WiFi Plug On. That transmits NMEA UDP over wifi...
Hmmm, that's odd. I have both of those features working on my tablet without needing a plugin.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 14:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Wrong, you are right! In a way (some sort of oxymoron)

I was speaking of opencpn for android, not opencpn for linux running inside a chroot in android. I don't consider programs that require wine to run are the "linux" version of that program neither.

I have always believed simply running linux on the target device is the best solution, but not in a chroot.

The fact is, most people will never even attempt your instructions because they are more complicated than installing the apk version which is sad, but then even if they do, they will find it cannot run as efficiently because it doesn't support hardware accelerated graphics.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall you ever bought an android device on which to run OpenCPN in a chroot environment. So, how do you know what you say is true? Even with OpenGL disabled in OpenCPN on my Xoom I see no degradation in how efficient the program runs and displays.

And no. The instructions, mostly copy and paste are not complicated. Mebbe you should get yourself an android and try following my instructions yourself before passing judgment.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 15:00   #33

Quote:
...Remember when OpenCPN first came about as a genuine Open source navigation package. That you were free to download as a binary free of Charge . With out paying any money...
Maybe you didn't pay any money, but many of us did through the "Donate" link. I suggest that you consider doing the same.

What have you actually contributed to the development effort (time or dollars)? Let the ones who actually did the work complain privately to Dave. It's between them, as far as I'm concerned.

As someone who did a lot of testing and wrote some chapters in the documentation, I don't feel cheated at all. Dave has been so amazingly responsive to my feedback, I wanted to give back (time and money) as thanks.

I think you're whining way too much about this.
Old 22-09-2015, 15:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
...Anyone figured out how to take screenshots yet?
This is pretty standard across all Android devices:

Quote:
Press the Power button and Volume down key at the same time.
  1. Press the Power button and Volume down key at the same time.
  2. Remember to hold them until you hear a click or a screenshot sound.
Old 22-09-2015, 16:12   #35

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
This is pretty standard across all Android devices:
The Samsung Galaxy Note2 has three methods.
How do I take Screenshots on my Samsung Galaxy Note II?

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 19:18   #36

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Quote:

While we are on the subject of raising funds, there has always been a "Donate" capability for all versions of OpenCPN. You can find it here.

RhythmDoctor I was unaware that any money has been donated. How much donation money has come into the OpenCPN community? Who is administering this?

Where on the OpenCPN.org can I see a open and transparent accounting of volunteer donations and its distribution to worthy causes?

After all we are a community aren't we?

I would love to see Sean get a Android device donated and also what ever hardware he needs to add computer interface to HF Radio capability so his wonderful weatherfax app can change frequencies automatically.
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 19:51   #37

Quote:
I was unaware that any money has been donated. How much donation money has come into the OpenCPN community? Who is administering this?

Where on the OpenCPN.org can I see a open and transparent accounting of volunteer donations and its distribution to worthy causes?

After all we are a community aren't we?

I would love to see Sean get a Android device donated and also what ever hardware he needs to add computer interface to HF Radio capability so his wonderful weatherfax app can change frequencies automatically.
The donate button has been there for many years. The lead developers know about it. In my opinion, it's their business how the money is divided up. If Sean wants a piece of it, he can contact Dave and the rest of the team privately - and he probably already has.

Unless you are one of key developers, I say it is NOYFB. But if you are interested in transparent accounting, you can start by telling us how much you have donated (dollars, time and other contributions). Silence on this will be assumed as zero.

You can tell I am skeptical of your intentions. I don't know who you are, except that you have only 34 posts in CF, almost all of them attempting to stir up trouble among a very high functioning team who have dedicated countless hours to helping the rest of us enjoy sailing safely.

As for your website, good luck supporting all your happy downloaders. I suspect they'll come here for support, and Dave, Sean, and others will respond eagerly and happily, like they always have. You should learn from that.

I apologize to everyone else. I realize that I am feeding the trolls with this post. <guilty>
Old 22-09-2015, 20:09   #38

Quote:
. In my opinion, it's their business how the money is divided up. . "end Quote."

Unless you are one of key developers, I say it is NOYFB.

RythemDoctor

This Open Source community project is called OpenCPN not NoyfbCPN!

It saddens me you have to be reminded.
Old 23-09-2015, 04:04   #39

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yachtmanforfun
I do agree with you about getting Sean more equipment etc. I have been able to send him one older 14" win xp laptop and a 500 gb hard drive. I have tried to get friends who are replacing older instruments to donate them to Sean. Radar, wind and speedo instruments etc. I have also made some donations so I really encourage all users to help him out with an android, a mac, wind/speedo instrument (solar?) , ssb and most useful is $$ because of shipping problems.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Yachtmanforfun
I do agree with you about getting Sean more equipment etc. I have been able to send him one older 14" win xp laptop and a 500 gb hard drive. I have tried to get friends who are replacing older instruments to donate them to Sean. Radar, wind and speedo instruments etc. I have also made some donations so I really encourage all users to help him out with an android, a mac, wind/speedo instrument (solar?) , ssb and most useful is $$ because of shipping problems.

Thank you. That is exactly the spirit that a community project needs.

I cannot wait until Sean's weatherfax plugin automatically tunes my HF radio and brings in the latest pre-programmed weather faxsimilie and then superimposes it over the chart I am looking at on OpenCPN.
Old 23-09-2015, 05:08   #41

Yachtman - yes exactly. It is incredible what we can all accomplish together and it is wonderful to be part of a supportive team helping each other. For example, pavel helped me setting up my first vc compiler. Then I helped compile for windows and test for the icon menu system. Then I wanted to make a pilot chart that was actually a grib file. Sean appeared and we worked together on that. I was his windows tester / user for climatology. Then he started weather_fax, then weather_routing, staus_bar etc. The plugins started taking off. Its very satisfying to be a part of this process, creating software that does not exist and does things other programs don't do.
We have all kinds of things that need improvement. Documentation of plugins, improvement of the manual docs, testing getting details into the docs. Supporting the developers.

Your help will be welcomed!
Old 23-09-2015, 05:13   #42

PS My friend RD is a great guy when you get to know him better. He seems to find and do good technical stuff and is always helpful and detailed, so I hope you will, just chill a little and take that passion for O into support of users, building the manual, creating good software. Ok?
Old 23-09-2015, 07:07   #43

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall you ever bought an android device on which to run OpenCPN in a chroot environment. So, how do you know what you say is true?
From the log file you posted.

Quote:
Even with OpenGL disabled in OpenCPN on my Xoom I see no degradation in how efficient the program runs and displays.
Because it's a high powered tablet, try a $35 tablet, or something with 1ghz processor 1 or 2 cores and 512mb ram and compare chroot linux to android apk.

Quote:
And no. The instructions, mostly copy and paste are not complicated. Mebbe you should get yourself an android and try following my instructions yourself before passing judgment.
Copy and paste, sure. It is more complicated than installing the apk and in this case it's so many additional steps that it will deter most people.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
From the log file you posted.
What matters is not fps, it's my perception of how well OpenCPN meets my needs as a nav program. It's not a game or video program, and except when changing one's view or loading a new chart, speed is of no consequence. And I don't have any problems with this on my Motorola Xoom. I've never recommended anyone use the $35 device you describe, nor would I. Anyone using smaller than a 10" display is going to be dissappointed...

Quote:
Because it's a high powered tablet, try a $35 tablet, or something with 1ghz processor 1 or 2 cores and 512mb ram and compare chroot linux to android apk.
I haven't a care about the android version of OpenCPN and how well it runs on a $35 tablet compared to OpenCPN in a chroot environment.

Quote:
Copy and paste, sure. It is more complicated than installing the apk and in this case it's so many additional steps that it will deter most people.
Still, your opinion which carries about as much weight as you trying to claim credit for the first to get OpenCPN onto an android. That credit is mine, no matter how it was accomplished.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:25   #45

Hey guys, friendly banter is fine, but lets not get bloodthirsty here! Less said the better ---Peace. Let the sleeping dogs sleep!

It takes lots of points of view to get things done, and of course we all want feel we contribute.

Tags
enc, loa, opencpn