Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2015, 06:58   #31

Re: Free Android OpenCPN new download location. OpenCPNce help needed.

Pavel, I was given the software by Dave under the GPLv2 license. Can you point me to your license, please, if it is different. If your code is licensed under GPLv2, please read the license and/or the explanation given by yachtmanforfun earlier today.

PS: I've posted a link to the github repo in an earlier post here but it is waiting for a moderator to publish it because of the link.

Old 21-10-2015, 07:01   #32

Yens...
My code is licensed under GPLv2, if you provide the source for *your* build upon request, I have absolutely no problem - from your posts and the absence of any such link, I got a strong impression that you refuse to do so.

Pavel

Old 21-10-2015, 07:05   #33

Pavel, as you can't seem to find yachtmanforfun's explanation, here it is again, as I can't really add anything towards this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmanforfun View Post
GPLv2 Licencse "as supplied by Dave in the 915.apk"

Section
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
received the program in object code or executable form with such
an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

In other words if Dave has distributed this as version 915, the "free" redistributor only has to quote that Dave has issued it and has pointed to the source code.

I hope this clarifies the matter and demonstrates the power of the GPLv2 and Open Source.
Old 21-10-2015, 07:13   #34

Yens...
I still count with the fact that you are that community hero and one of the "hundreds" of contributors to OpenCPN and actually do write some code , not just that guy who can repackage an APK someone else did... But maybe I was just wrong and mislead by "Initial release, based on OpenCPN for Android 4.1.915"
you use to describe your product in the Play Store. If your product is really just a rippoff of Dave's APK, you don't have to distribute the source to me or anybody else, I am so very sorry for bothering you.

Pavel
Old 21-10-2015, 07:16   #35

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yens View Post
Pavel, as you can't seem to find yachtmanforfun's explanation, here it is again, as I can't really add anything towards this:
Pavel if Yens is distributing OpenCPN Open source GPLv2 software as a binary for "free" ie on a non-commercial basis then by saying he got it off Dave who has posted the source code is sufficient answer according to the license in OpenCPN for Android.

HE DOES NOT HAVE TO SHOW YOU ANY SOURCE CODE.

I know this disappoints you but that is the way of the GPLv2.

My suggestion is that you "Close-Source" your GPLv2 code if you are not happy with the way it works.
Old 21-10-2015, 08:25   #36

George...
It is not that he makes it available without a fee what relieves him from the obligation to provide the source code, it is the fact he did not build it and provided the originator of the binaries the users can ask for the source...
And no, I'm not going to change the license of my code, but yes, I will insist on anybody using it to stick with the license I used for it. Not because I have any connection with Dave's build, which I don't, but because that is why I licensed it as I did - it simply is not in public domain.

Pavel
Old 21-10-2015, 08:54   #37

Pavel,

you have already apologized earlier and now you're coming up with new broad accusations. Can you point me to the section of your license that you insinuate I'm not complying with? If this is the case, I'm happy to exchange your plugin for a version I've built from source and provide the source code to everyone asking for it. I have, in fact, posted the link to the github repository earlier today.

AGAIN: I'm redistributing object code that someone else (Dave) has given to me under the GPLv2 license. In compliance with the license, I'm referring to Dave for the source code. If he has built it from source, I'm sure he will be happy to provide it to you or anyone else or refer to whoever he obtained his object code from.

I understand that you're not fully happy with this, but this is in full compliance with the license and exactly how the creator of the license, the Free Software Foundation, wanted it to be. Please stop bothering me about your choice of this license. Also, if you want to discuss aspects of the license, you'll probably find more suitable places than the cruiserforum. I will no longer respond to this here.
Old 21-10-2015, 08:57   #38

Yens...
Where is any accusation? I explained to yachtmanforfun that I'm completely happy with what you are doing as you did not create the binaries and are relieved from the obligation to provide the source once you admitted so and pointed the users to Dave to get the sources.

Pavel
Old 21-10-2015, 09:03   #39

That's great then
I must have misunderstood your previous message.
Old 21-10-2015, 18:03   #40
cruiser

@yens I own a copy of the Play Store official paid version, and it says 4.1.915. I have binary compared your Play Store free version with the Play Store paid version. They are different. Yet the free version says 4.1.915 as well.

Pardon me for being "complicated", but I am just curious as to where your free version came from. I wonder whether I should be concerned about its content, if I should choose to use it, for whatever personal reason.

We have all been burned by knockoffs before.

SD
Old 21-10-2015, 18:50   #41

.apk files are just .zip files used for distributing an android app. Unpack the two .apk files you're comparing. You'll find that, except for the digital signatures, the only difference is in AndroidManifest.xml, which was necessary as no two applications on the app store can have the same package name.

At least, this is what I get when comparing the 4.1.915 apk Dave provided on this forum (39776724 bytes, SHA1: E65162113445735AF97DFF728D594DCB77F41888) with the one I uploaded to the Play Store (39777854 bytes, SHA1: 04C4EF9314B801934F3B647D2266B8F0C179A293).

Hope that helps.
Old 21-10-2015, 18:59   #42
cruiser

@Yens, are you planning to provide support and updates?
Old 21-10-2015, 19:18   #43

I'm planning to track the official releases, but have no intentions to offer free or paid-for support services.
Old 22-10-2015, 06:46   #44
cruiser

You refuse to provide support??

Then where is support available otherwise? Is there a forum, for instance?
Old 22-10-2015, 07:06   #45

If you want to hire me for work or support, we can discuss rates and availability.

I'm doing the releases for my own use and pleasure. If they work for you, be my guest. It's FREE software. If they don't, you can use the same community support options available for all the other builds: the forums here, the bug tracker, etc.

As you have the advanced skills to analyze code for malware etc, maybe you want to offer people support? Seriously, unless you are interested in contributing to a free version as well, I'm not going to waste any more time discussing with a troll account.

Tags
enc, loa, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: