Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 09:37   #1006

Boat: 110mtr Lyaemer
Re: Feature Requests

I would like to see in either opencpn or dashboard plugin the speed display configurable to show km/h and distance in metres.
for use on inland waterways.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:21   #1007

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Dan..

Could the 'Additional information' box be expanded beyond the max 6 links presently?
Perhaps a 'scrolling window'?

Tore
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15   #1008

Bluetooth GPS in OpenCPN

I believe that, if in the NMEA Data Source, there was an option to select the COM port that we wish, instead of choosing one that is already open is the solution.

By selecting the right COM port, it would trigger the Bluetooth manager to open the right port and succesfully open the communication between Bluetooth Dongle and the Bluetooth GPS Receiver.
DeLiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:54   #1009

Here is a layout of the way to choose com port on a certain program. Others have different ways but it all come back to this.
Regards
P_Dub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Com port select.png
Views:	513
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	35623  
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:44   #1010

Just started messing about with OpenCPN a couple of weeks ago. It was real easy to get the program up and running on my Fedora powered Netbook.

I created a route and tried to navigate the route. The first mark in the route was father away from my current position then the last mark. The program wanted to send me to the last mark and not the first mark. I've ween this behavior in other programs too. It would be nice if the program could be forced to navigate the route in the order that the marks were placed without regard to proximity.

Something else that would be cool would be to have a wind vector that points towards the boat. Wind speed could be annotated numerically or with flags like on the grib display.
syborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:10   #1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
I created a route and tried to navigate the route. The first mark in the route was father away from my current position then the last mark. The program wanted to send me to the last mark and not the first mark. I've ween this behavior in other programs too. It would be nice if the program could be forced to navigate the route in the order that the marks were placed without regard to proximity.
just right click on the route and select "Reverse Route"

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 00:09   #1012

Boat: Phantom 19

syborg...
Or, when you have the route activated, just right-click on any of it's waypoints and in the menu look for "Activate Waypoint" As far as I can tell the program navigates me in the order in which the marks were placed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 01:19   #1013

Boat: Ovni 345

What will be great is to have a plugin in or an automatic link to this wonderfull free and opensource routing software : QtVlm - VlmWiki
fblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 07:07   #1014

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

I posted a feature request a while ago regarding IO port setup and options.
FS#528 : NMEA Port setup rewrite

Is there any plans on re-doing the IO setup GUI?

I would really appreciate to see this in the near future.

The possibillity to select the ports a user needs, both input and output, com and TCP/UDP.
Gather all IO settings on a dedicated tab or several subtabs...

Something like P_Dub posted up here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post853482
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 07:32   #1015

That is exactly the reason why the commercial program have a feature to prevent the use of charts to much overzoomed. The accuracy is then of no use and is definitely not commandable. So be very carefull in such a way to use charts.
Regards.
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 09:50   #1016

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
That is exactly the reason why the commercial program have a feature to prevent the use of charts to much overzoomed. The accuracy is then of no use and is definitely not commandable. So be very carefull in such a way to use charts.
Regards.
P_Dub
OpenCPN 2.5 (and Betas) also have this feature available in the ini file... under [Settings]
AllowExtremeOverzoom=1(yes) or 0 (no)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 10:47   #1017

Boat: Kalik30

I require the opportunity to display targets - sent by other ships via DSC position report or distress call - to be displayed. I've asked in different forums for a solution and got no reply. In the german openCPN forum (openCPN) i got the answer: "Außer AIS kann OpenCPN keine Daten anderer Schiffe darstellen. Wird selber eine Notmeldung abgesetzt, ist das eigene Schiff wie immer sichtbar.
" translated: openCPN cant display other ships, except the ones received by AIS. In case of an distress call the own ship will stay visible" What a stupid answer!
Guess will be some lines of code to handle the incoming TLL (target lon lat) NMEA string and display it - if this is not a hidden feature i did not discover ;-)

Complete post on the german webpage (german):

http://opencpn.de/forum/opencpn/supp...cpn-darstellen
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 11:01   #1018

i require the opportunity to display targets - coming in via NMEA from a DSC radio like position reports or distress calls - to be diplayed on the chart. I was sure this is a feature of openCPN - but got on the german forum the info: "Außer AIS kann OpenCPN keine Daten anderer Schiffe darstellen. Wird selber eine Notmeldung abgesetzt, ist das eigene Schiff wie immer sichtbar." Sorry, i can't belief that. And if, guess its some lines of code to handle the incoming (NMEA) TLL sentence (target lon lat) and display the calling ship on the map.

i've set up my system for testing temporarily on land: Sportbootschule Tauwerk 0451 6206862

This is the link to the question in the german forum:
NMEA Ausgabe (TLL) vom DSC Funkgerät in openCPN darstellen | OpenCPN.de
Sorry, what a stupid answer - guess he didn't understand the question itself.
Regards, Chris
Old 14-01-2012, 12:32   #1019
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Hallo Christian,

I suppose that you would like to see the NMEA 0183 sentences DSC and DSE that are related to DSC distress messages from radios reflected.

If you have a look at the OpenCPN Wiki:
NMEA Sentences | Official OpenCPN Homepage
you will see that those sentences are not yet implemented.

So it seems that your message is correctly placed as a "feature request"

bcn

Und echauffier dich nicht so..., obwohl das ja gut gegen Kälte sein soll
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:48   #1020

... genau diese Information habe ich gesucht und weder bei google noch mit der Suchfunktion gefunden. Dann brauche ich natürlich nicht weiter zu probieren, eigentlich schade. Ansonsten bin ich von openCPN begeistert.
Ich habe auf der Basis deiner Informationen nochmal gegoogelt. Enthalten denn die Sätze DSC und DSE auch die Position des Havaristen oder ist dafür auch TLL notwendig?
Und echauffiert - na ja, wenn mir jemand erklärt das mein Schiff auch nach den Absetzen eines Notrufes weiter auf der Karte dargestellt wird hält er mich entweder für blöd - oder hat die Frage eben nicht verstanden.

Gruss, Christian