Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20   #631

Boat: Dufour 35
Pjotr

Looking at your pictures above....
Can you give a summary of the meaning of
the red and green diamond targets and the green target with a "diamond"-stern, maybe there are more.....
I like to include them in the documentation.
Do you have some higher definition pictures?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39   #632

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Went to the boat today. Checked the X on the AIS also in nightsettings.
Visibillity poor.
I still am of the opinion that the ON/OFF system should be the same on all buttons.
I again suggest a light blue ridge around the button when ON

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20   #633

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoree View Post
Fabbian, thanks. These black rectangles would be invisible in the nightsetting. Instead of the black I would choose a light blue. Maybe you can check also with someone who is color blind. These people have better nightvision but cannot distinguish several color combinations.

Peter
Well, almost everything is nearly invisible in the night setting. When you reduce illumination and contrast things get hard to see. I was just looking for ways to increase contrast--that's why I changed the background from gray to white--but here are some other colors for you to look at. What do you think?

Also look at the night node examples. I think the black border still shows up reasonable well. By lightening the background one level the black border shows up even better. The trouble with the light blue border is it doesn't stand out well enough in the day setting and it looks too bright in the night setting.

Fabbian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoFollowOn.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	22650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightmode1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	22651  

fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:27   #634
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Well, almost everything is nearly invisible in the night setting. When you reduce illumination and contrast things get hard to see. I was just looking for ways to increase contrast--that's why I changed the background from gray to white--but here are some other colors for you to look at. What do you think?

Also look at the night node examples. I think the black border still shows up reasonable well. By lightening the background one level the black border shows up even better. The trouble with the light blue border is it doesn't stand out well enough in the day setting and it looks too bright in the night setting.

Fabbian
This might not work, but how many pixels wide is the border? Can you make the border actually 2 thin borders of 2 colors? One target to be visible for day and the other for night? Or maybe a dotted line with 2 colors?

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:37   #635

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
This might not work, but how many pixels wide is the border? Can you make the border actually 2 thin borders of 2 colors? One target to be visible for day and the other for night? Or maybe a dotted line with 2 colors?

-dan
The borders were 3 pixels. I found 2 didn't stand out enough. You can experiment with this yourself. All I did was paste a screen shot into Microsoft Paint and edit it, then save a clip from it. Actually, the program can use different colors for the border depending on the day/night settings (there are four and I only looked at two) so the solution could be more flexible than my examples.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28   #636

Fabbian,

thanks for the samples pictures.

Maybe the dark blue is better then either lightblue or black.
The current grey on/off borders are insufficiently noticable so a choice must be made

Peter
Old 08-01-2011, 13:20   #637

Boat: Fantasia 35
Hi Guys,

I believe that in another thread it was determined that the current low light modes provided by OpenCPN are not that good. Someone provided a link to the Dimmer.exe app that provides a much better low light display. You might want to look into this with regard to linux and how OpenCPN will be implementing its low light functionality in the future.

I agree with Peter that the dark blue would be the better color.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:33   #638

Tracking DSC and GPSGate targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Can you give a summary of the meaning of
the red and green diamond targets and the green target with a "diamond"-stern
Thomas,

The diamond targets are displays of NMEA CDDSC/CDDSE sentences. This is what NMEA-output-capable DSC VHF is passing to a chartplotter upon receiving a DSC Distress Alert or a DSC Position Report, e.g. in response to a previous Position Poll. The supplied patch interprets only some of the fields of the sentence, extracting the position, sender MMSI and message format that gets categorized as Distress or - in all other cases - as Position Reports. So when your suitably connected VHF beeps and calls for attention, you will hopefully have a diamond on the chart in the proper position, red for distress, green for other position reports.

This is not meant as replacement for any of the GMDSS procedures, but may provide a help and a quick cross-check.

The diamonds behave similarly to AIS targets, appearing in AIS target list, displaying summaries on mouse rollover and showing reasonable properties. If needed, the user can drop a mark on them or select a "go to here" etc.
If AIS target ageing is enabled, they will go away in time.

The example shown near Tokyo comes from the Uniden UM415 Owners Manual:
$CDDSC,12,3081234000,,07,00,0354013946,0657,,,S,E* 6D
$CDDSE,1,1,A,3081234000,00,60875646*13

CDDSC gives the format, MMSI and position down to whole minutes
CDDSE extends for this MMSI the precision by 4 fractional digits

In full generality there can be a lot more of various fields and a lot more information, but for Distress and Position Report this should work well and be useful.

The targets with diamond sterns are displayed upon receiving a position report in the GPSGate Server Protocol, i.e. a $FRPOS sentence. Such sentences are sent by GPSGate Server in response to a request for Buddy List positions. GPSGate is not marine-specific (in the example shown the "Johan" is probably a truck) but it is increasingly popular for tracking many different vehicles reporting their positions by various communications means, often using cellular phones. The example shown is

$FRPOS,6311.64120,N,01438.02740,E,0.0,0.000,0.0,27 0707,154403.000,Johan*18

A Buddy Group could well be a charter flotilla or a fleet of inshore sea-rescue vessels.

Some marine chartplotters e.g. SOBvMAX include GPSGate Buddy tracking as standard.

The patch submitted does not implement the communication with a GPSGate Server, so it is not a complete solution, but rather a first step towards it. If needed, I am prepared either to write a small client program or to look for existing software that would produce the $FRPOS stream for OpenCPN.

I think the priority for including any of this in production OpenCPN is low, so it is perhaps too early to include pictures in the documentation but it may well change in near future...

So, if there is anyone out there who does manage a GPSGate Buddy Group or has a suitable DSC VHF and is willing to try or develop this further, the first step is done...

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:59   #639

I googled the dimmer.exe and found it on
Dimmer - Free and very handy brightness reduction utility for LCD/TFT screens
tried it on my Vista laptop. It is great.

Dont know if anyone can include it as a plugin.
Dont know about Linux implementation either.
I am just a sailor/tester for the great OCPN gurus

Peter
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38   #640

Work in progress

Hi,
progress is good:
  • 'connect NMEA decode' routine to dial procedures: finished now
  • Setting up sail polar database: finished now
  • Recording routine is ok, but analysis for polar has to be done, so finished 20%
  • Make depth histogram as requested: to be done
and a new litle screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMIP.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	22691  
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:22   #641

Boat: Tartan 37
Hey folks... Loving 2.3! I searched and think I have a unique request that is a tiny-minor change.

We do mostly daysailing in the local waters and I'm using CPN to replace our now defunct LORANC unit that was set to the harbor entrance 95% of the time. It fed bearing and range to the autohelm display at the helm so I could always time returns well. So I'd like to set a point or route and leave it. But even with a tiny two point route at the entrance, each time we pass it the rout deactivates. Current workaround with 2.3 is to make it a MOB mark so the route stays active.

Current behavior: Unless a two point route ends with a MOB mark, the route deactivates when you get close enough to the final mark.

Requested behavior simple: Give routes a property "persistent" with maybe a checkbox. If checked, no auto deactivation occurs at the last mark.

Complex: Allow for single point routes ("Activate Mark location" perhaps?) that stay active and give bearing/range to a mark indefinitely until mark is deactivated. XTE could be set to zero, TTG would be straight line distance at latest SOG.

But current setup is doable. I just have to keep the life ring sitting on the harbor entrance. So not a big deal since I figured out the MOB trick.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:01   #642

Boat: Fantasia 35
You might try placing the cursor on the harbor entrance and using the "go to here" feature to create a single point route.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 20:44   #643

Boat: Tartan 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
You might try placing the cursor on the harbor entrance and using the "go to here" feature to create a single point route.

Which deactivates once you pass by. By making it an MOB mark in the properties, it doesn't deactivate. The point is, that I'm trying to avoid a repetitive process with the PC. Using Go To Here, I can do it before making way, but then it deactivates. So once the sails are up, I have to do it again. With MOB, it's a suitable replacement for the old set up. Set it, and forget it. I even have the NetBook hibernating and waking up with the instruments. Also, the "go to here" creates a route from where you are presently. Not a big deal, but I keep mine as two close marks right next to each other. Otherwise I have an active route going across the harbor. Just more clutter. But thanks for the post anyway. I ran all the scenarios in the car and believe the MOB is the only workaround unless someone wants to make deactivation optional.
Old 11-01-2011, 13:40   #644

Boat: Hanse 342
CM93 detail level setting on right click menu

I bought my Hanse 342 in UK last year and sailed it to Gothenburg/Sweden (635NM/106hours).
We used OCPN 1.3.6 with CM93/2009 in a HP nw8000, XPSP3, with a USB GPS, USB nasamarine AIS, iPhone via USB as modem for GRIB and a nasamarine USB navtex. All USB devices connected to the PC with a USB hub.
OCPN worked perfect the whole trip. The only issue was the iPhone sometimes messing up the COM-port numbers in the PC.

In OCPN 1.3.6 the "CM93 detail level" setting was on the mouse button right click menu, much used and with easy access. In OCPN 2.x.x the "CM93 detail level" setting is in the Vector chart setting only.

One example where the "CM93 detail level" setting is adjusted/used very much is the south coast of Norway.

Since the "CM93 detail level" setting is not any more on the right click menu, there are reasons. My proposal is, if possible, to have this function on the right click menu as a yes/no setting parameter.

Thank you for a very nice SW.

/Petter
pa36651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:28   #645

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod
The detail settings could have been enabled/disabled in the dashboard or on the top toolbar.
This is also something that I would like to have easy access to...
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote