Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 15:36   #2656

Re: Feature Requests

Terry
Here is a catamaran icon, if you like to use it.
Best Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ownship.png
Views:	98
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	173471  
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:46   #2657

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

P_dub, my statement from before does not change. I do not know how the android is configured, however the ship icon is located here This ..\Android\data\org.opencpn.opencpn\files\uidata\t oolicons_traditional.png
and is the location for the icons used. I see no usericon directory in the android system, however you could try to make one or you could try to insert your special icon into that image file in exactly the same location.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:10   #2658

It does not work like you said.
Best Regards.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 22:42   #2659

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

It would be really cool if the user could select Great Circle instead of Rhumb Line for the "Navigate to here" function and see GC distance, departure, vertex, all that stuff, and also the Navigate To Here route drawn as a Great Circle on the chart. Also it would be great to be able to specify beginning and end of a route or leg of a route and the longitudes of the GC waypoints, and have OCPN create a Great Circle route and then divide it up into rhumb lines between the waypoints when creating a route.
Old 19-07-2018, 00:46   #2660

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
It would be really cool if the user could select Great Circle instead of Rhumb Line for the "Navigate to here" function and see GC distance, departure, vertex, all that stuff, and also the Navigate To Here route drawn as a Great Circle on the chart. Also it would be great to be able to specify beginning and end of a route or leg of a route and the longitudes of the GC waypoints, and have OCPN create a Great Circle route and then divide it up into rhumb lines between the waypoints when creating a route.
Why would this be useful? It is already a function of route planning.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:33   #2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Why would this be useful? It is already a function of route planning.

Don't see it. I select a place on the chart and select "Navigate to Here" and all I get is a rhumb like and a rhumb line temporary route. "Properties" gives me no options for GC, either. I would need to manually calculate the GC waypoints or use some other tool to do it for me. I just think it would be a nice feature, admittedly of little use to sailing yachts. On a ship I can of course get the list of waypoints from the 2/M and enter them, but I can't be bothered.
Old 19-07-2018, 11:16   #2662

in TimeZero also!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tzgoto.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	173863  
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:33   #2663

Quote:
Don't see it. I select a place on the chart and select "Navigate to Here" and all I get is a rhumb like and a rhumb line temporary route. "Properties" gives me no options for GC, either. I would need to manually calculate the GC waypoints or use some other tool to do it for me. I just think it would be a nice feature, admittedly of little use to sailing yachts. On a ship I can of course get the list of waypoints from the 2/M and enter them, but I can't be bothered.
OCPN will do this. Create a route by selecting the icon (5th from the left) or Ctrl+R. Any 2 points on the route that are a suitably long distance apart will give you the option (pop up menu) to select a GC Route. If you select this then that part of the route will be segmented with WP's.

Still unsure as to your need, unless sailing by compass or wind-vane, a GPS sails a GC route by default.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:01   #2664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
OCPN will do this. Create a route by selecting the icon (5th from the left) or Ctrl+R. Any 2 points on the route that are a suitably long distance apart will give you the option (pop up menu) to select a GC Route. If you select this then that part of the route will be segmented with WP's.

Still unsure as to your need, unless sailing by compass or wind-vane, a GPS sails a GC route by default.

Not using it to steer. Redundant official type accepted ECDIS on the bridge. OCPN is running on my personal laptop in my room. I'm the Bosun so I don't have to steer LOL. Don't have to stand a watch. Just monitoring our progress and sending occasional screenshots home to GF. We are enroute Port Hueneme to Gamagori. Definitely long enough for GC to be advantageous and as a matter of fact our route is a GC as you can see. Screenshot attached. Shows recent and current track, and the "Navigate to Here" temporary route.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OCPN HERE to Japan 2018-07-19 06-27-17.png
Views:	142
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	173867  
Old 20-07-2018, 02:06   #2665

Quote:
Not using it to steer. Redundant official type accepted ECDIS on the bridge. OCPN is running on my personal laptop in my room. I'm the Bosun so I don't have to steer LOL. Don't have to stand a watch. Just monitoring our progress and sending occasional screenshots home to GF. We are enroute Port Hueneme to Gamagori. Definitely long enough for GC to be advantageous and as a matter of fact our route is a GC as you can see. Screenshot attached. Shows recent and current track, and the "Navigate to Here" temporary route.
Here is an example using "Create Route" using wp's instead of "Navigate to Here".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GC1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	173893   Click image for larger version

Name:	GC2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	173894  

Old 20-07-2018, 04:15   #2666

Boat: Dufour 35

The Route plugin has much more support for gc:s than the built in std features.
Well worth a try if you want more details.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 18:03   #2667

Boat: Wellcraft, St. Tropez 3200, 32 ft

First off, let me say that I love OpenCPN - so a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to it in any way.

I want to be able to use OpenCPN to do route planning at home on my desktop PC, then bring a printout (or electronic file, or screenshot, etc.) of my route and waypoints to my boat and manually enter them into my GPS, which is an old-school Garmin GPSMap 210. (yes yes, very old, I know, but it is my backup GPS!)

The problem I'm having is that OpenCPN (as of now, v4.8.6) only seems to show me or print 1-digit decimal place on for the minutes of the lat & long when displayed as "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" which is why my GPS takes. My GPS requires 3 digits on the Decimal Minutes, as does my sanity and well-being. Because, in Boston area waters and where I boat, a 3 meter difference either way is a big deal and can mean fouled running gear, so I don't buy the argument that seems to have been made in other posts here that it is "good enough."

Sure, I could go into each properties box where there are more digits for each waypoint's minutes, and copy and paste them into a spreadsheet, but that's a pain, and defeats the time-saving purpose of using OpenCPN in the first place. :-/

Is there any way you'd consider giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!

Thank you!
Aquasition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 20:20   #2668

Suggestions for the tested function "multi canvas"
Now it is activated in the settings. This is not very convenient! This function should be on hand for example in the context menu. You also need a horizontal canvas separation, for example a radar and two canvases with a map.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:04   #2669

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquasition View Post
I want to be able to use OpenCPN to do route planning at home on my desktop PC, then bring a printout (or electronic file, or screenshot, etc.) of my route and waypoints to my boat and manually enter them into my GPS, which is an old-school Garmin GPSMap 210. (yes yes, very old, I know, but it is my backup GPS!)
You haven't considered transfer the route from OCPN to your Garmin via a serial connection, have you? In that case all decimals would be transferred. (http://static.garmin.com/pumac/130_OwnersManual.pdf page 52)
Quote:
Is there any way you'd consider giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!
No, there's no user setting to change precision for the route print. By coding it would be easy but the developer has used low precision for this. Probably for a good reason I can't figure out. Anyone else??
If the code is changed a printout could look like the attached shot.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	route_print_test.PNG
Views:	139
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	176439  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:33   #2670
Marine Service Provider

As Hakan says, it is a simple change. I see no reason not to show full precision in the route properties waypoint list table.

Perhaps it was originally done to preserve screen space on small devices?

Anyone recall?

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote