Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 11:37   #2461

Re: Feature Requests

Ok, that makes it sound quite doable, even for a mediocre programmer like me. I’ll investigate the Bluetooth side of it over the next while.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 14:06   #2462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
Ok, that makes it sound quite doable, even for a mediocre programmer like me. I’ll investigate the Bluetooth side of it over the next while.
Thanks everyone. I love the no app requirement and Bluetooth. My coding skills are way too rusty to help but I'm excited people may work on an implementation. My area is cryptocurrency so happy to tip anyone some bitcoin who builds it :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:14   #2463

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
sy_gilana..
For me this seems as a seldom used feature especially for the average user. If I remember correct a similar technic have been discussed for to set up an AIS transceiver but I think most agreed to use the normal set up program for such seldom used activities. The same would appear here.

What you may try is to:
> Save the sentence you want to send to the GPS unit in a text file.
> Set the OCPN GPS port connection parameters to output all but normal GPS NMEA sentences.
> Use the VDR plugin and play you text file.

Håkan
Thank you I will try that as soon as I have the fairing and filling done. There are some other interesting possibilities with this method too.
Old 16-11-2017, 18:01   #2464
Moo

There are several personal AIS SART devices on the market that can be attached to a life jacket or worn on a belt etc.. there are even around the neck lanyard devices. All cheaper than a smartphone.

Better to leave the smartphone locked up safely in the chart table while offshore and use a proper device. The big advantage of an AIS SART device is that any other vessels in the area are alerted too and rescue services can home into the signal from them.

We use McMurdo Smartfind device installed into our lifejacket/harnesses. See attached image for how they appear on OCPN . We also have a very loud buzzer on the AIS receiver that wakes the dead if it detects an emergency beacon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN AIS sart test.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	159276  
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 07:57   #2465

I don’t see it quite like that.

We also have AIS SARTS in our life jackets but something that regularly checks you are there and reports back when you are not is intrinsically safer than something that waits for you to call when an accident has happened.

It doesn’t have to use an expensive phone it could use a cheap Bluetooth beacon but if I’m going overboard I don’t really think I’ll be worrying about the cost of my phone.

It’s basically an additional layer of safety pretty well for free for us and should only be looked at that way. It should not be seen as a replacement for SARTs, PLBs or any other devices.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:12   #2466

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

If you really want an eyeopener, read what the lawyers wrote on the ACR AIS plb. They state that the warrantee runs until activation. Also they make it clear that it may not work. When I called to ask if there had been any testing done and what the results were, I was told the device passed (but what?) and that I should look up the test sheets. The test sheets give no useful information. I then called back and asked if there was any 3 party testing available. Answer was no.

I wanted to return the device.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 21:05   #2467

Confusing tide timings on Open CPN. Sure we all suppose know how to convert table to UTC time fast, while 3-4 day table is always hiding make of mistakes. Sailing Northern extrems meridians pass very fast and time zones with it. As I supported about 55 sail boats through Northwest Passage I would like to request to change some tidal stations to UTC time in Open CPN that most sailors use:
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 120%; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif","Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "FreeSans"; font-size: 12pt; } Important Tidal Point of Northwest Passage
Times expressed as Standard Time
Used on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 32 bit version

or any Windows version.

Fort Ross, Nunavut, CST
False Strait, Nunavut, CST
Tasmania Island, Nunavut, CST
Spence Bay, Nunavut, UTC – is OK
Crown Prince Frederick, Nunavut, EST
Entrance Island, Nunavut, EST
Baffin, Nunavut, EST
Bonne Island, Nunavut, EST
Bouverie Island, Nunavut, EST
Sevigny Point, Nunavut, EST
Igloolik, Nunavut, EST
Hall Beach, Foxe Basin, Nunavut, EST
Schooner Harbour, Baffin Island, Nunavut, EST
Lake Harbour, Nunavut, EST
Button Islands, UTC – is OK
Port Burwell, Labrador, AST
Spence Bay, Nunavut, UTC – is OK
Gladman Point, Nunavut, gives reference to False Strait, not with Open CPN

Thank You,

I am with OCC, Cheers
victor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 06:03   #2468

Why don't you go to the Canadian government web site you will have your tidal predictions for 7 days and official tidal predictions?
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 10:49   #2469

CHS tidal tables for Arctic are in many places out of sync some 40 minutes. Thats a lot. I found Wxtides 32 the closest. For getting timing while already in the Arctic where there is no Internet misses the point.
The last thing may be is to get Wxtides tables before departure and that will have to stretch for the period of 3 month. If OCPN would have a switch to toggle all to UTC that would be the preference and no Internet needed.
victor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 11:25   #2470

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor15 View Post
CHS tidal tables for Arctic are in many places out of sync some 40 minutes. Thats a lot. I found Wxtides 32 the closest. For getting timing while already in the Arctic where there is no Internet misses the point.
The last thing may be is to get Wxtides tables before departure and that will have to stretch for the period of 3 month. If OCPN would have a switch to toggle all to UTC that would be the preference and no Internet needed.
Have notified CHS of the difference that you have notice?
Regards
Old 20-11-2017, 17:45   #2471

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor15 View Post
Victor,

Do you want to have a settings parameter to force all tide and current data to display as UTC? That may be possible. I will check.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 05:47   #2472

After checking a few places there was no difference in between CHS predictions and WXtide. What you probably notice is cause by weather (offshore wind and high barometric pressure). This is quite possible, not to forget that predictions can vary easily by 15 minutes and 1 foot. Furthermore, in the north the period of observation use for calculation were generally relatively short thus causing the value of the predictions to be less accurate. Predictions are predictions!
Regards.
Old 26-11-2017, 10:59   #2473

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...249&project=75
See this tracker item and the three other related items.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:39   #2474

Geofences

I haven't found any references to these, but could they be incorporated?
Specifically, as a safety feture, set a 200m boundary to the coast line, and another at 300m. With the ability to send out an alert.

Cheers,
MPep
MPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 13:06   #2475
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Combining the Draw plug-in and the Watchdog Plug-in you can achieve what you are looking for.
Not that simple from the User Interface side but functional.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote