Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 10:03   #2251
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
[...]Anything is fair game here, although the goal ought to be to arrive at some consensus of a manageable list which may be implemented in a reasonable time frame. [...] I will choose what to work on for the next release based upon some loose metric involving effort of implementation vs affected population. Not everything will get done, obviously.

Looking forward to input.....
Dave
Dave,

Please, consider adding support for standard ISO paper sizes.

Currently, OpenCPN print dialog defaults to US Letter paper size, which is very US/Canada specific, while most of the world uses standard ISO A4 paper size in their printers.

I think, that a single configuration option for paper size will be sufficient.
Even a limited choice between US Letter and ISO A4 would be great, although ISO A3 would be very useful too.

For reference:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/sta...PaperSize.html

Given your criteria above, the affected population seems large, while effort of implementation.. perhaps isn't very high? :-)

Marius
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 10:20   #2252

Boat: Najad 34

Marius.
I'm on Windows and there is Windows default printer GUI opened to let me select what printer to use. There's my default paper A4 or A3 dependent of selected printer. What I can see is OCPN not in control of the paper size.
Isn't it the same in your system?
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 10:42   #2253
mrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Marius.
I'm on Windows and there is Windows default printer GUI opened to let me select what printer to use. There's my default paper A4 or A3 dependent of selected printer. What I can see is OCPN not in control of the paper size.
Isn't it the same in your system?
Håkan
Unfortunately, no. I am on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. All my printers are managed by CUPS and are set to A4 default. Also $LC_PAPER and $PAPERSIZE variables are configured. But OpenCPN defaults to US Letter. See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paperselect.png
Views:	85
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	141588  
Old 19-02-2017, 12:07   #2254

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Unfortunately, no. I am on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. All my printers are managed by CUPS and are set to A4 default. Also $LC_PAPER and $PAPERSIZE variables are configured. But OpenCPN defaults to US Letter. See screenshot.
Perhaps you should configure your Ubuntu to Polish? Is it configured to English? It seems so as seen in your screenshot. After all you might have an Ubuntu problem and not an OpenCPN problem.
I have configured Ubuntu 14.04 to German and it prints to A4 every time, also for OpenCPN.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:38   #2255
mrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Perhaps you should configure your Ubuntu to Polish? Is it configured to English? It seems so as seen in your screenshot. After all you might have an Ubuntu problem and not an OpenCPN problem.
I have configured Ubuntu 14.04 to German and it prints to A4 every time, also for OpenCPN.

Gerhard
Gerhard,

The only thing that matters re printing in POSIX systems is LC_PAPER and i have it set correctly for my locale:

$ echo $LC_PAPER -> pl_PL.UTF-8

All other apps understand it just fine.
All other $LC_ shell variables point to pl_PL.UTF-8 too, by the way.

For various reasons I prefer to keep my interface language set to English, therefore $LANG is en_US.UTF-8 and LANGUAGE is en, but that shouldn't affect printing and in fact it does not in other apps.

However, I am not asking developers to spend time wading through various language/locale combinations but to only give the user a config option for preferred paper size (or to enable paper size choice in print dialog, but this raises complications with dynamic change of printing area and subsequent re-rendering of the map to that area).

Marius
Old 19-02-2017, 13:56   #2256

Quote:
Gerhard,

The only thing that matters re printing in POSIX systems is LC_PAPER and i have it set correctly for my locale:

$ echo $LC_PAPER -> pl_PL.UTF-8

All other apps understand it just fine.
All other $LC_ shell variables point to pl_PL.UTF-8 too, by the way.

For various reasons I prefer to keep my interface language set to English, therefore $LANG is en_US.UTF-8 and LANGUAGE is en, but that shouldn't affect printing and in fact it does not in other apps.

However, I am not asking developers to spend time wading through various language/locale combinations but to only give the user a config option for preferred paper size (or to enable paper size choice in print dialog, but this raises complications with dynamic change of printing area and subsequent re-rendering of the map to that area).

Marius
Markus,
it seems you are wrong. Give it a try and switch your Ubuntu from English to Polish. Please come back to tell us the results then.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PrintUbuntu.png
Views:	77
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	141603  
Old 19-02-2017, 15:05   #2257
mrm

Quote:
Markus,
it seems you are wrong. Give it a try and switch your Ubuntu from English to Polish. Please come back to tell us the results then.
Gerhard
OK, different computer but same Ubuntu distro, set to Polish. OpenCPN 4.4.0:

~$ echo $LANG
pl_PL.UTF-8
~$ echo $LANGUAGE
pl_PL
~$ echo $LC_PAPER
pl_PL.UTF-8
~$ echo $LC_MONETARY
pl_PL.UTF-8

and so on.. everything set to pl_PL..

With OpenCPN interface set to English I get Letter US paper.
With OpenCPN interface set to Polish translation, I get ISO A4 (see attached images).

So it is the OpenCPN interface settings which determine the paper size. But this is so wrong... And, it still does not give an option to print on A3 (or larger) paper size.

BTW: print dialog strings seem to come from PPD file and are not translated to Polish. Doesn't bother me..

Marius
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paper1.png
Views:	89
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	141605   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper2.png
Views:	92
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	141606  

Old 20-02-2017, 01:09   #2258

Quote:
And, it still does not give an option to print on A3 (or larger) paper size.
What kind and brand of A3 printer you have attached?

Gerhard
Old 20-02-2017, 02:02   #2259
mrm

Quote:
What kind and brand of A3 printer you have attached?

Gerhard
Konica-Minolta, bizhub series. But I do not see why would it even matter? And before you ask, yes other apps can print to A4 and A3 paper stocks, so the printer is configured correctly in CUPS and all its options are recognised.

The issue is that OpenCPN does not allow to choose a paper size in print dialog (first issue), and it does not allow users to set a preferred paper size in options (second issue) and it guesses (forces) the paper size based on user interface language, which is a bad heuristics entirely.

Before you counter my last assertion, think about such use case:

A hypothetical German Gerhard ;-) travels to the US (the land of US Letter paper size) and fires OpenCPN to plan some crossings. To make himself more comfortable he sets OpenCPN interface language to German. Then he decides to print a fragment of a chart for further study away from the computer at his leisure, maybe with a glass of Weizen Well, he is in for a surprise, because he will either find 'insert A4 paper' message on printer, or the print job will be discarded.

What I am saying is: some heuristics to preset paper size may be good, but giving users an option to override said heuristics with their own choice is even better.

Marius
Old 20-02-2017, 05:42   #2260

I guess the best way would be to remove the print function from OpenCPN because it is not needed by a sailor. If you want a paper chart and not an electronic chart go for buying a paper chart.
I know no ship which has an A3 printer on board.

Gerhard
Old 20-02-2017, 06:03   #2261
mrm

Quote:
I guess the best way would be to remove the print function from OpenCPN because it is not needed by a sailor. If you want a paper chart and not an electronic chart go for buying a paper chart.
I know no ship which has an A3 printer on board.

Gerhard
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
However, this is a feature request thread, so maybe not the best place to express it?

Personally, I find the map print feature very useful. I use it to make copies for navigation exercises. I also tend to give copies to my crew if they want to make some research and annotate the copy with information on interesting places to visit. I also like to make a backup print for planned route just in case electronics fail. Therefore my polite feature request for better printing support.

Marius
Old 20-02-2017, 06:58   #2262

Boat: a sailing boat

@ OpenCPN developers:

A new Feature Request.

The request: Please enable sending waypoints and routes to Net type DataPorts from Route and Mark Manager and from context menu.

The explanation: Present situation is that sending waypoints and routes is only enabled to Serial DataPorts. However, it has been found that waypoints are forwarded to Net type DataPorts when a WPL sentence is received via a Serial type DataPort specified in the Connections menu.

Big sunny hug from LP, Canary Islands
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:33   #2263

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I think opencpn should support printing raster charts, printing the entire chart. Then the user will tape the result together which is made of multiple pages. Also possible to make 2 sided with 2 charts. The charts would have to be paired or matched to size for this.

For vector charts an area/scale could be specified..
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 10:02   #2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I think opencpn should support printing raster charts, printing the entire chart. Then the user will tape the result together which is made of multiple pages. Also possible to make 2 sided with 2 charts. The charts would have to be paired or matched to size for this.

For vector charts an area/scale could be specified..
And I guess OpenCPN is more a plotter program than anything else.
Actually there are far more problems to solve than printing. The actual screenshot like printing feature is sufficient. If anyone wants paper charts he can go to a copy shop. They usually have nice printers nobody is able to store onto a small ship.

Gerhard
Old 28-02-2017, 10:42   #2265

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
And I guess OpenCPN is more a plotter program than anything else.
Actually there are far more problems to solve than printing. The actual screenshot like printing feature is sufficient. If anyone wants paper charts he can go to a copy shop. They usually have nice printers nobody is able to store onto a small ship.

Gerhard
What about outputting to a post script file that could be printed by local copy shop
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote