Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 20:16   #2191

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Are you interested in doing this or just finding reasons not to? The timer is the way we're doing it now. You mentioned 8 knots, we are not going that fast.
Sorry I'm bad. I read 6 - 8 knots.

I am interested but I'm not sure that I like your approach to this forum. When somebody asks you questions to narrow down the scope of your requirements DO NOT treat it as an attack.

You obviously don't want to do this yourself so why be aggressive to those that are trying to help? Think about that.

I will look into this as an exercise in OCPN plugin dev. But no commitment no contract as I have a business to run that is not plugin dev and summer is not the best time for software dev..
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 20:50   #2192
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Sorry I'm bad. I read 6 - 8 knots.

I am interested but I'm not sure that I like your approach to this forum. When somebody asks you questions to narrow down the scope of your requirements DO NOT treat it as an attack.

You obviously don't want to do this yourself so why be aggressive to those that are trying to help? Think about that.

I will look into this as an exercise in OCPN plugin dev. But no commitment no contract as I have a business to run that is not plugin dev and summer is not the best time for software dev..
Sorry, I was not treating it as an attack. Perhaps I was a little impatient with what seemed like someone kicking the tires.

I also have a business to run, and just don't have the time. Thanks for the interest and I wont hold my breath
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 23:38   #2193
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

With a survey grade GPS receiver using EGNOS/WAAS you can get 60-80cm (2 feet plus) precision at best. Getting better will require differential corrections in real-time.

At 4knots (2m/s aprox.) and 10hz you will add another 20cm of error due to resolution.

Then take into account orientation (pitch, roll, yaw) and if throwing is not done automatically add "operator jitter" for reaction time and orientation.
Do you want to document the dumping points?

This is an application for an Inertial Navigation System - you can get very simple units working with OpenCPN through the OpenPlotter project.
Not with the outlined precision. If you need 30cm there are other products.

Drop me a mail if you want pointers.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 03:34   #2194
Marine Service Provider

You can do this affordable and with high precision using a Emlid reach GNSS set.
https://emlid.com/reach/

Connect it to a raspberry pi with a Navio2 hat https://emlid.com/shop/navio2/ and use APM flightstac in rover mode and a mission planner for all your "alarm" points and you will be able to get precision down to +-2,5 centimetre. This stuff is affordable and equally precise to commercial $$$$$ stuff. Originally developed for drones, but can as well be used in nautical environment. I use a such set, also loaded with opencpn for some survey tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
With a survey grade GPS receiver using EGNOS/WAAS you can get 60-80cm (2 feet plus) precision at best. Getting better will require differential corrections in real-time.

At 4knots (2m/s aprox.) and 10hz you will add another 20cm of error due to resolution.

Then take into account orientation (pitch, roll, yaw) and if throwing is not done automatically add "operator jitter" for reaction time and orientation.

This is an application for an Inertial Navigation System - you can get very simple units working with OpenCPN through the OpenPlotter project.

Hubert
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 22:30   #2195
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post

Hubert

Thanks Hubert for the reply and information . Don't need to document dumping points
Old 05-01-2017, 22:32   #2196
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
You can do this affordable and with high precision using a Emlid reach GNSS set.
https://emlid.com/reach/

Connect it to a raspberry pi with a Navio2 hat https://emlid.com/shop/navio2/ and use APM flightstac in rover mode and a mission planner for all your "alarm" points and you will be able to get precision down to +-2,5 centimetre. This stuff is affordable and equally precise to commercial $$$$$ stuff. Originally developed for drones, but can as well be used in nautical environment. I use a such set, also loaded with opencpn for some survey tests.

Very interesting, thank you for the reply
Old 07-01-2017, 07:54   #2197

Hello,

since a few weeks Gallileo is working more or less. It seems that this comes together with a new release of NMEA 4.1. (see Ublox-Homepage)
In OPENCPN NMEA4.0 is working very well. With 4.1 a combined fix (GPS-US, Glonass and Gallileo) can be transferred. However, all data about accuracy (HDOP, number of satellites) are missing or incorrect (still included in NMEA-communication but in other sentences)
It seems that with the update to NMEA 4.1 a view communication sentences have been outsorted (see also NMEA Homepage)

Is it planned to update OPENCPN to NMEA 4.1? I would be really glad because the quality of the fix is really improved with Gallileo supporting e.g. anchor watch (I guess it can stay in a circle of 5 m radius according to my first tests)).

Bye,
Ingo
Ingo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:28   #2198

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo_2 View Post
Hello,

since a few weeks Gallileo is working more or less. It seems that this comes together with a new release of NMEA 4.1. (see Ublox-Homepage)
In OPENCPN NMEA4.0 is working very well. With 4.1 a combined fix (GPS-US, Glonass and Gallileo) can be transferred. However, all data about accuracy (HDOP, number of satellites) are missing or incorrect (still included in NMEA-communication but in other sentences)
It seems that with the update to NMEA 4.1 a view communication sentences have been outsorted (see also NMEA Homepage)

Is it planned to update OPENCPN to NMEA 4.1? I would be really glad because the quality of the fix is really improved with Gallileo supporting e.g. anchor watch (I guess it can stay in a circle of 5 m radius according to my first tests)).

Bye,
Ingo
To get an answer it would be nice to see a logfile of the data you have recorded with the VDR plugin and the name and brand of your GPS device.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:05   #2199
bcn

And take into account that OCPN does not deal with the sentences regarding GLONASS neither. The only information that is displayed is for the GPS sats.

Would be interested as well to hear which GPS receiver you are using.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:35   #2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
To get an answer it would be nice to see a logfile of the data you have recorded with the VDR plugin and the name and brand of your GPS device.

Gerhard
Hey,

let's try ... ( I hope not to struggle with the attachments)

NMEA 4.1:
SnipImage = view on compass and satelitte info in OPENCPN
SnipImage1 = complete data set of 1 second in OPENCPN

NMEA4.0:
SnipImage2 = view on compass an satelitte info in OPENCPN
Snipimage3 = complete data set of 1 second in OPENCPN

I use a Navilock NL-8002U with an Ublox-Chip. The screenshot in SnipImage4 is a view on the satellite signals in UCenter with setting to NMEA4.1. The Gallileo signals are visible on bottom.

If more information is needed I try to generate it.

Regards,
Ingo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnipImage.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	139150   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnipImage1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	139151  

Name:	SnipImage2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	139152   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnipImage3.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	139153  

Name:	SnipImage4.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	139154  
Old 07-01-2017, 11:26   #2201

Boat: Amel Sharki

Ingo,

are you able to make a VDR file please?
There are too less sentences seen in your screenshots.
They only show you get some data from Glonass and Galileo as well as GPS-US. But a fix is only received from GPS-US and not from Glonass nor from Galileo.
Maybe there is seen more when you store the data for a longer time into a VDR file.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:45   #2202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Ingo,

are you able to make a VDR file please?
There are too less sentences seen in your screenshots.
They only show you get some data from Glonass and Galileo as well as GPS-US. But a fix is only received from GPS-US and not from Glonass nor from Galileo.
Maybe there is seen more when you store the data for a longer time into a VDR file.

Gerhard
Hello Gerhard,

unfortunately, VDR is not supported by the upload function. Neither is txt (limited to 1000 Bytes). I try to add a combined file of NMEA 40 and NMEA41 in one Excel-file. Included is also a Pivot table comparing the different sentences. Quite obvious is that $GAGSV is present in NMEA41 only. $GPGSV is more often sent in NMEA40. I think the difference will be in the pages included in some commands. Maybe an expert can find this easily.

Regards,
Ingo
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47   #2203

Quote:
Hello Gerhard,

unfortunately, VDR is not supported by the upload function. Neither is txt (limited to 1000 Bytes). I try to add a combined file of NMEA 40 and NMEA41 in one Excel-file. Included is also a Pivot table comparing the different sentences. Quite obvious is that $GAGSV is present in NMEA41 only. $GPGSV is more often sent in NMEA40. I think the difference will be in the pages included in some commands. Maybe an expert can find this easily.

Regards,
Ingo
Upload dosn't work
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49   #2204
bcn

Just change the extension to .doc

And as this is one of your first posts it can take a time for a moderator to enable your upload.

Hubert
Old 08-01-2017, 09:07   #2205

Quote:
Upload dosn't work
Managed

NMEA40.VDR as data in one Excel file cutted down to 400 kB Limit.
NMEA41.VDR as data in one Excel file complete.
Pivot removed (sorry)

Comment: .xlsx would have fit from the first moment including pivot
Attached Files
File Type: xls VDR_NMEA41.xls (365.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: xls VDR_NMEA40.xls (397.0 KB, 37 views)