Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 13:54   #1051

Boat: Kalik30
Re: OpenCPN & orthodromic distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucho_77 View Post
Hello,
I just simulate a route through atlantic with OpenCPN and note that the distance is not the shortest one (orthodromic distance).
Does it exist a way to change this, or do I make a mistake.
Thanks for some explanations.
Regards,
Lucho
There is a difference in planning short trips (direct course) and planning long routes crossing the equator or near the poles - due to the (not perfect) shape of the earth - sorry, cant explain this in english - but google for loxodrome or rhumb line - means the shortest way between two point isn't a straight line but a curve (near the poles) or s-shaped (crossing the equator.

regards, Chris
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 22:47   #1052

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Feature Requests

Lucho...
OpenCPN does "Mercator sailing" - the distances are rhumb line - to sail great circle, prepare your routes accordingly with one of the available tools:
Planning Data | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Great Circle and Composite Routes | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47   #1053

Copy Cursor Position into clipboard

Hello there,

I'd find it very useful, If I could copy the cursor position into the clipboard throug a rightclick function.

Thank you very much.
El_Siurell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:09   #1054

I use Open CPN a lot on my launch and have an ARPA radar on board. I would like to display the Arpa data which is available from my radar in the form of a TLL NMEA Sentence. My Fishi finder can also output the position of a fish mark in TLL format Is it possible for Open CPN to support this feature and display on the chart like AIS can be
MikeElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 02:39   #1055

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Is it possible to read TLL (target lat/long) as well as ais. It would be coming in through a dedicated comport separate from AIS. Cannot find this feature but it is available on some systems for camparison
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 04:21   #1056

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Jubilee39..

Unless I misunderstand,any AIS target lat/lon IS already available in the AIS target query box.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_01 Feb. 19 10.17.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	37640  
Old 19-02-2012, 11:55   #1057

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Jubilee39..

Unless I misunderstand,any AIS target lat/lon IS already available in the AIS target query box.

Tore
Thats not what I am asking for, I just got a new radar that has the capability to send TLL data. It would be nice to present this over the CPN overlay to correlate AIS ans radar pictures.
Joe
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 00:52   #1058

Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

Hi All,

long time I never active on this forum and I found a new version OpenCPN has been released.
For upcoming version, I would like to request a feature to export some area on the map to Image file.
so users are able to define the area (top left and bottom right lat long coordinate) and produce an image of it.
I think it will be useful.

BTW two thumbs up for this App.

Regards,

tenlee
tenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 15:27   #1059

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenlee View Post
Hi All,

long time I never active on this forum and I found a new version OpenCPN has been released.
For upcoming version, I would like to request a feature to export some area on the map to Image file.
so users are able to define the area (top left and bottom right lat long coordinate) and produce an image of it.
I think it will be useful.
tenlee
If the purpose is to have an image of what is on the screen, I do this using the Snagit program. Just one push of a key (F2 in my case) and whatever is on the screen is saved to a designated folder in any format you choose. Useful not only with navigation programs but anytime you are surfing and want to save displayed information.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 17:23   #1060

Smile Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
If the purpose is to have an image of what is on the screen, I do this using the Snagit program. Just one push of a key (F2 in my case) and whatever is on the screen is saved to a designated folder in any format you choose. Useful not only with navigation programs but anytime you are surfing and want to save displayed information.

Terry
Hi Terry,

Seems you miss my point.The feature I propose is to have an image on certain area by defining the top left and right button point in latitude longitude coordinate and scale, which you can't have it by using Snagit program.

I think it will useful when you want to plan the navigation route on paper.
So the OpenCPN will become one stop Application, not only for navigation but can be used for navigation planing (on paper base) also.

BTW thanks for sharing your experience.

cheers,

Tenlee
tenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 09:17   #1061

Boat: Dufour 35

tenlee
All you ask for is already possible if you use kde desktop for Linux.
With KSnapshot you can chose any rectangular area and even a freehand area to copy from the screen.
You can even use the print icon in OpenCPN and print to file as a postscript file. You get a picture of the chart area only. The ps file can be converted to any picture format through Gimp, and then manipulated any way you want.

Of course you can use the print icon to print the chart area directly. Just adjust the visible area to the lat&long you wish to cover.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 12:31   #1062

Boat: 29'

Tenlee, it can be done now roughly. Make marks in two diagonal corners or four if you like and export them as gpx from openCPN. Make a screen grab (Prntscreen key in Windows or snagit (an excellent program by the way!) or some other app that grabs ...

You can also make a box with route -pencil and export it as gpx.Include it in the screen grab for almost exact editing later (to make your own chart!) You should ideally edit the made-route box so the corners "agree" if you want to make a chart with imgkap before the screen grab for a perfect version but if you don't mind including a bit awkwardness, you can go the mapcal_2 system
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 00:17   #1063

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
All you ask for is already possible if you use kde desktop for Linux.
With KSnapshot you can chose any rectangular area and even a freehand area to copy from the screen.
You don't need to go into the hassle of Linux; you can use Window’s Snipping Tools

Bart
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 22:32   #1064

Boat: 29'

I wish it was more obvious that the track button is ON.

The other buttons, well it's pretty obvious, click em, a window opens or the route-pencil attaches to the cursor etc...,but with the track button, it goes a darker shade of pale and if you wait ten minutes (in a sailboat), you'll see the track...hmmm.10 minutes?
My point is, its nature is different from the other buttons.. Perhaps it could blink, or turn red,or something more indicative of "on-ness" than such a slight change. Perhaps my issue is exacerbated by XP in so-called "Classic" look...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:25   #1065

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
I wish it was more obvious that the track button is ON.

The other buttons, well it's pretty obvious, click em, a window opens or the route-pencil attaches to the cursor etc...,but with the track button, it goes a darker shade of pale and if you wait ten minutes (in a sailboat), you'll see the track...hmmm.10 minutes?
My point is, its nature is different from the other buttons.. Perhaps it could blink, or turn red,or something more indicative of "on-ness" than such a slight change. Perhaps my issue is exacerbated by XP in so-called "Classic" look...
That's a very good point. Also, the track button doesn't change color until you move the mouse pointer off of it after you've selected it, which makes it even harder to know if it has been selected. I think all the buttons behave that way, making it hard to be certain a mouse click registered.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote