Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 05:12   #1036

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.kautz View Post
My only idea is to solder a simple hardware-multiplexer to bundle some inputs to one output - or does anyone know any software to do this job?
regards, Chris
look up "xport"
Old 20-01-2012, 08:22   #1037

Boat: 29'

and VSPE? (VirtualSerialPortEmulator) can't recall-it might do multiples...There's another recent recommendation for a good emulator around here somewhere ... ???

here!today!http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post865518
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:36   #1038

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchew View Post
Will OpenCPN support Garmin IMG maps?
No.You'll have to hunt down mapsource posts.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:18   #1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
I attach a test result with 2.5.1318...
OK, I'm confused. Does the OpenCPN 2.5.0 stable release also display DSC/distress positions? Or do you need this 1318 build? It 1318 part of the formal development program, or is it a custom build that someone has done for themselves? Where do I get it? (Web page only shows up to the 1310 beta.)

I have a GX2150 radio that has the capability to send both DSC and AIS @ 38400 on a single wire. But I have not configured it that way because I thought that OpenCPN ignored the DSC sentences.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:45   #1040

Option for viewing a Route where each leg is labeled with distance, and bearing and inverse bearing. Handy custom charts could be made and printed out as a back up for a journey if systems go down. Also would be handy to have on screen. Maybe a button or keystroke to toggle the distance and bearings as labeled.

It's nice that we can view this info for each leg when creating, or we can right click. But having it all there at once would be a great improvement.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 01:24   #1041

Boat: Kalik30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
OK, I'm confused. Does the OpenCPN 2.5.0 stable release also display DSC/distress positions? Or do you need this 1318 build? It 1318 part of the formal development program, or is it a custom build that someone has done for themselves? Where do I get it? (Web page only shows up to the 1310 beta.)

I have a GX2150 radio that has the capability to send both DSC and AIS @ 38400 on a single wire. But I have not configured it that way because I thought that OpenCPN ignored the DSC sentences.
Its a modified version, you will find the link down here. I m still hasseling on the to feed the signals to to computer but working on that.

regards, Chris
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 04:09   #1042

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
HI, I also have the 2150, and am following this with interest. AFAIK the 2.5 stable release does not, but future releases certainly will, thanks to Piotr and the team.

I will need an extra port to bring the signal in. I know that the 2150 can do AIS and DSC on the same wire, at 38400, but if you select 38400 on the menu, the 2150 also expects to RECEIVE at that speed. My GPS is still at 4800. So, I have had to select 4800 in the 2150 and therefore my AIS and DSC are seperate on the outputs.

If you know any different please advise. I have taken this up with SH and suggested that they incorporate a multiplexer like my old AIS system had, and include a USB port for the mux'd combined signal. The new radio will have GPS input, and will put out GPS,AIS,DSC, (Tea, Coffee, whatever you like) Via a USB port, emulating a configurable serial port.

Great Radio!!!! just bought 3 of them.
Old 22-01-2012, 12:53   #1043

Quote:
As far as I know, no stable release and no official Beta of OpenCPN does display DSC positions.

2.5.1318 (Betas are now 2.6.x) is a custom build that includes a patch prepared a year ago for 2.4.x but not included in any stable release.

I am publishing this custom build to gather more experience from users on the needs and possibilities/problems of interfacing to various equipment. I doubt if this will ever make it into a stable release in this exact form, but the more feedback will come in, the better any future implementation might be.

You can get it from a link in Forums - Post 863863">this-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-post.

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 02:28   #1044

I would like to have an option to "sail ship without gps". A simulation-mode where you can change heading and speed (with no input from gps). This option is available in for example Transas Navisailor and SeaClear.

Thankyou.
vedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 02:41   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedis View Post
I would like to have an option to "sail ship without gps".
There are plenty of GPS Emulators. For example: Virtual GPS - GPS Simulator
marchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 03:37   #1046

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

vedis..

I second that. Very useful when planning voyages for the coming season.
During the snowy winter months in Norway,I planned and ran the route so many times in simulating modes that it felt like home when I finally did the trip for real.
At that time i had never heard of OCPN and was using Fugawi Marine ENC.

Tore
Old 25-01-2012, 04:43   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedis View Post
I would like to have an option to "sail ship without gps". A simulation-mode where you can change heading and speed (with no input from gps).
While certainly it would be more elegant to have this built-in, it is possible today with simulated GPS input - just set DR position, course and speed, and watch the chart move... I do it all the time when testing. Right, underway I do not want to fiddle with virtual ports etc., but at sea there is always some GPS feed around.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 10:47   #1048

Years ago I use another product that would print the latitude and longitude scale on the border when printing a chart selection. This would be a nice feature for those of us that like to have a paper chart in hand when cruising out of our home waters.

Thanks

Dan
raisin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 13:17   #1049

Boat: Kalik30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
..... You can get it from a link in Forums - Post 863863">this-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-post.

Piotr
And it works (using NavMonPC as multiplexer, tnx fr the tip)!

Sportbootschule Tauwerk 0451 6206862

regards, Chris
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:32   #1050

OpenCPN & orthodromic distance

Hello,
I just simulate a route through atlantic with OpenCPN and note that the distance is not the shortest one (orthodromic distance).
Does it exist a way to change this, or do I make a mistake.
Thanks for some explanations.
Regards,
Lucho
Lucho_77 is offline   Reply With Quote