Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 08:23   #901

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Feature Requests

Does the lack of any comments on the requests below suggest that no one else sees value in the features?
Is there other functionality that I'm not aware of that negates the addition of these functions?

Just wondering....
Extemp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
2 Humble Requests.

1) Have Lat and Long on the same line in way-points, marks and elsewhere if there are other places. Similar to (or the same as) shown when one does an Object Query and the object has a position.
This would make copying and pasting into and out of OpenCPN so much easier and faster with no chance of mistakes.

2) Enable something similar to the VDR Plug-in (another plug-in?? or modified VDR plug-in??) except for created routes. One could then "play" the route that one has created while at the same time running the goggle earth plug-in (in fast time) and when it would be helpful, take snap shots for later use en route. It would be great to be able do this in comfort prior to ones trip.

If someone wants these request put somewhere else, let me know.

Thank-you for all your hard work!!

Extemp.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:16   #902

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Does the lack of any comments on the requests below suggest that no one else sees value in the features?
Is there other functionality that I'm not aware of that negates the addition of these functions?

Just wondering....
Extemp.
I think that your suggestions are worth consideration.
Please enter them in the Tracker System, Feature Request section.
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
It's not easy for the developers to keep track of all that's going on i this thread.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:25   #903

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I think that your suggestions are worth consideration.
Please enter them in the Tracker System, Feature Request section.
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
It's not easy for the developers to keep track of all that's going on i this thread.

Thomas
Okay Thanks,

I signed up right after you posted to me (a couple of hours ago), but still have not receive an email.
If it's normal to take this long, no problem, no need to reply.
If it's not, let me know what to do.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 20-07-2011, 12:38   #904

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Okay Thanks,

I signed up right after you posted to me (a couple of hours ago), but still have not receive an email.
If it's normal to take this long, no problem, no need to reply.
If it's not, let me know what to do.

Regards,
Extemp.
I'm not sure.
Ping "Netsurfer", he is running the show!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:41   #905

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
lurno..

Have you tried running a duplicate OCPN? You can run two programs simultaneously:

Instructions

1. Open the applications you wish to split across the monitor.

2. Click on the first application's button on the Windows taskbar. The program window for that particular document or software will display on the computer screen.

3. Press and hold the "Control" button on the keyboard.

4. Click on the other application button on the taskbar. Two buttons are now both visibly selected.

5. Right-click on either application button. A context pop-up menu will appear.

6. Click the "Tile Vertically" option in the menu. The monitor will become a split screen and both programs are active. You can also select "Tile Horizontally" to create a split screen with the programs stacked and the split running through the center of the monitor from left to right.

7. Click inside either window to manipulate its contents, type, cut and paste, or perform any other function. The screen remains split with the other program window active while you work in a program window.

8. Push the "Alt-tab" keyboard combination to quickly move between the split screen applications without clicking in a particular window. This can speed up repetitive tasks that require moving back and forth between the two programs.

Tore
GREAT suggestion! I know Windows pretty well, and never realized that you could tile two applications (or two instances of one application) in this way.

I had been constantly adjusting the zoom to get both a wide angle view of AIS targets, and a more local view of nearby hazards on our narrow river. This gives the ability to see both at the same time. Also, my screen is a wide format (like most laptop screens these days) and it makes more efficient use of it to have two tall windows that give a better view forward.

This split-screen ability is something that most commercial chartplotters cannot do. It's a great advantage, in my opinion.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:14   #906

Good job with 2.4.720. Thanks to everyone.
What about scaling the vessel for lenght and breadth? That is probably the only thing missing.
Bye
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 09:42   #907

As my previous request went ignored, there were two possibilites: either I didnt express myself clear or this doesnt bother anybody except me, or...both options.

So 2 images speak more than a 1000 words, I post this thumbs, one is PolarView, the other OpenCPN, both at aproximately same zooom level. What I wanted to point out is, see how easy it is to pinpoint where and what are the wayponts in PV and try to do that on OpenCPN, I have tried a lot of font and color combinations , but the problem resides in what was initially my request, draw a frame at the name, color it contrasting font, perhaps choose colors, and choose where in regards to the symbol to place it, look how easy it looks on PV, as the name looks itself part of the icon. perhaps an option "place name left, right, above, below" could be implemented? I know I can change icons, no problem there, I could even import PV´s if I found them appropiate, but is the naming scheme that I would like to be bettered.
I think OpenCPN is quite an amazing program that keeps getting better day after day. Thank you. alex
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:50   #908

Boat: Princess, 388, 40ft

Sinbad7
Thanks. I try to stay away from windoze, so I run Linux for the time being.
Managed to run OCPN duplicated.
I made a mod to OCPN allowing me to start the program with an alternate config file and that worked very well for a while but after a while the last started instance stopped responding to the operating system.
I'll look into it further.
Thanks again
lurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:57   #909

Re: OverViewMap

Nohal
Thanks.
I don't run windoze, so I'm not able to run the Google plug in for the time being but I'll look into the code to see if I get any bright ideas.
The demo plug in is operative here, so thats a start.

Lasse
Old 22-07-2011, 08:59   #910

Re: OverViewMap

HappySeagull.
Thanks. I'll look into that
Lasse
Old 24-07-2011, 23:29   #911

Boat: Phantom 19

Lasse,
the part you are interested in is cross-platform, just the ActiveX handling is Windows dependent, so you should get the idea.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 00:39   #912

Nohal
Thanks. I'll take a good look
Lasse
Old 27-07-2011, 01:53   #913

Hi
Have been using the OpenCPN this summer for intense sailing plotter.

I have some requst about the rute activation, I have the problem that the when I have made a rute and will activate it, the blue line schould becom red when activated, it is simply dissapering so NO line i showing on the map, rater confusing for my crew. And secondly the rute information is very difficult to read on the distance, the text info is to small, and it would rate bee nice if I could make them lager my self, and also the highway is from the past the information like the panel in Maxsea will be better. I am not a programmer, but I thing this wishes is small change can be made without big code work.

Also it could be nice if the AIS information could be showing when you dobbel clic on the taget wessel, instead of going into a menu with hundre of other welles informations, and schould look for it.
otherwise it is great program.
Gert
Sy-Grog
syGrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:35   #914

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Could it be possible to change the vessel's size and appearance (already doable with a raster fle with transparency ???), in order to be able to alter the length, the beam and the antenna position. This would be much appreciated. A new file for ships parameters could be created enabling the use of multiple ships sizes forms and GPS antenna position on the ship.
Pierre
Would like to see this as well.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:22   #915

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Slightly annoying bit: Active waypoint still offers to "activate waypoint" in right click menu..