Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 04:47   #691

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
r.fairman

Strange but I can not get any map actions duplicate on the GE display.
See the small yellow AIS targets and the short blue route,none of them show on GE.
Is there a setting in Fugawi I have not activated?

The transparent overlay is useless as it is not aligned and even skewed out of shape.
What ver. operting system are you using?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_01 Feb. 15 10.38.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	23824  
Old 15-02-2011, 05:04   #692
Marine Service Provider

GE Feature request for OpenCpn

I cannot get ais to display in the GE window. The map overlay is not perfect but is acceptable my charts do not appear skewed . Live GPS displays correctly in the chart window and the GE window and a track is displayed in the GE window. I have enables Synchronise View and Plot GPS under the google menu I use XP SP3

regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 05:26   #693
Marine Service Provider

GE Feature request for OpenCpn

fugawi is in effect running GE in a window and remote controlling it. If you create a route in the chart window then export it as a kml file for GE to your desktop you can then double click on the file and it loads into GE that fugawi is running tn the baclground.The route then displays in the Fugawi GE window. Not perfect but it works it is something that should be working automatically in any OpenCpn version along with ais display

r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 06:38   #694

add MrSID format

It would be nice to be able to display maps, etc that are in the MrSID format. This is a highly-compressed format. For instance, images of the whole world are available at a pixel size of about 15 meters and can be downloaded. Would be useful in a similar way to the recent Google Earth discussion.

https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/
https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/tuto...torial-V1.html
jdoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 08:44   #695

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Ability to shut off waypoints and just see routes.
Clears up the screen
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 18:04   #696
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Feature Requests

Before I put this n Flyspray, I thought I'd see if there is anything to add.

In route manager and/or context menu, add ability to:
  • split a route.
  • copy a route.
  • join routes.

In route properties:
  • Add column for time to destination (basically the opposite of the ETE column)
  • Add column for time to next
  • Add column for distance to arrival
  • Add column for distance to current waypoint
  • Let user customize which columns to display and in what order. This is needed if you start adding all the columns above.
  • Add ability to set speed for each leg (or range of legs with shift/click)
  • Click on waypoint should not position map there. Right-click for context menu option to do this instead, along with option to edit waypoint properties, like speed.
These are just a few I have thought of. Any more columns or features useful in the manager or waypoint screens?

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 02:36   #697

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
In route properties:
  • Let user customize which columns to display and in what order. This is needed if you start adding all the columns above.
This information is usually displayed in the "active route" popin window on the right. Since some of them are dependent on current boat location, I would most humbly suggest they make more sense when actively navigating?

Otherwise, they could be displayed in the "leg" popups when doing a mouseover on the route?

I am just personally horrified with big tables and lots of options (feature creep). It would be fantastic if some of that simplicity could be preserved?
Quote:
  • Add ability to set speed for each leg (or range of legs with shift/click)
Yes please!!

Quote:
  • Click on waypoint should not position map there. Right-click for context menu option to do this instead, along with option to edit waypoint properties, like speed.
Yes please!
Old 22-02-2011, 08:02   #698
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
This information is usually displayed in the "active route" popin window on the right. Since some of them are dependent on current boat location, I would most humbly suggest they make more sense when actively navigating?

Otherwise, they could be displayed in the "leg" popups when doing a mouseover on the route?

I am just personally horrified with big tables and lots of options (feature creep). It would be fantastic if some of that simplicity could be preserved?
The "leg" popup solution might work.

I can see adding user selectable columns is adding code. Adding the columns themselves should be simple and not require space. They could be calculated at display time. Having it in a table means I could do something like, if conditions have changed, I could scroll through the table to see where I would be 4 hours from now to plan my stop.

I forgot to add:
In Route Manager, add right click menu with options for:
  • Waypoint properties.
  • Leg properties (for setting speed)
  • Goto waypoint on chart (already mentioned in my first post)

Also,
  • Enable scroll wheel on Route Properties
-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 08:17   #699

I brought this issue up on another topic, but since that is not going anywhere, I'll request it as a new feature.

Currently, on the Toolbox GPS tab, if you cannot find the desired NMEA Data Source on the drop-down list, you are able to type in the desired port name. However, if you try to do this for Autopilot Output Port, the typed-in value reverts to "None" (with no error message).

I would like you to modify this feature to either allow you to type in a custom value for the Autopilot Output Port, or at least when you type in a COM port for NMEA Data Source that port should be appended to the drop-down list for the Autopilot Output Port.

Without this feature, transmitting NMEA over Bluetooth is often limited because the needed COM ports (in Windows terminology) typically fall outside the range shown on the default drop-down list.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 12:11   #700

Quote:
Add ability to set speed for each leg (or range of legs with shift/click)
Click on waypoint should not position map there. Right-click for context menu option to do this instead, along with option to edit waypoint properties, like speed.
Totally agree!

Quote:
In route properties:
I find also highly needed an ETA column (Date and Time of arrival), and a way to input a starting date and time for the route, so passages more than one day long can be adequately planned.

Ideally, being on route, when the route is activated, OCPN could take and highlight the next wp in route (the active one) as starting position, and use the real-time calculated ETA to it, as the starting Date and time for the rest of the route. So the current leg would be calculated at the real speed, and then take this in account to have a realistic starting point from the active wp, and calculate the rest of route at the planned speeds for each leg. Or alternatively (to keep it simpler), take present position and Date-and-Time as starting point, and calculate directly the rest of the route at planned leg speeds from there. (On long ocean passages, estimated speeds for each leg are far more accurate than using present speed for the whole route). This way, while on route, just opening route properties would give the most accurate estimation of the date and time of arrival, which is something OCPN currently lacks.
Deactivating the route would go back to normal display of route, with a manually input starting date, and different leg speeds, for home planning purposes.
antxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 15:51   #701

Could it be possible to change the vessel's size and appearance (already doable with a raster fle with transparency ???), in order to be able to alter the length, the beam and the antenna position. This would be much appreciated. A new file for ships parameters could be created enabling the use of multiple ships sizes forms and GPS antenna position on the ship.
Pierre
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 04:25   #702

Hi,
TripRecorder is working both for recording & playback.
Logbookdatabase has been setup. Still some Finishing to do on this.
Polar analyzing routine based on logfiles still to be written...
Hopefully everything will be finished for end of march at start of new season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TripRecorder.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	24266  
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:56   #703

Boat: Phantom 19

Hanse,
congrats for your progress, looks very nice... Can't wait to see how much we suck while racing

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 15:24   #704

Location: cruising through SE Asia, currently anchored at Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
Boat: Endurance 35 - Destiny3

Possible to change default mark/waypoint symbol?

Not a vital request, but it would be nice to have the option to change the default mark/waypoint symbol in the "mark/waypoint properties" window.

I use the anchor symbol at the end of each day's sailing, rather than the current default triangle symbol.

In the meantime, could anyone help out with another solution that doesn't need require changing program code ?

And sorry if this issue has been posted before - have searched through threads/posts and yes, even read the online manual so know about changing the boat icon and adding more symbols.

BTW - a brilliant program, can't speak highly enough of it and I'm constantly recommending OpenCPN to fellow cruisers.

Thanks
Gillian
bgmaxlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 10:41   #705

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmaxlow View Post
Possible to change default mark/waypoint symbol?
etc.
Ditto.per bgmaxlow's comment.I am hoping for this too as I "decorate"OP'CN...sometimes the li'l triangle is hard to see or click-on amongst the soundings... a choice per default' icon would be nice....

(PS-give us an inch and we want a mile!-a nice feature like customizeable icons leads to this! I hope our crying don't change OpenCPN into a Bloated,Menu-ridden,blurry,Configurational Nightmare like the others...because as is,I don't have to THINK much at all the wrong times..)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote