thxs for the links !!! i will look into these !
You had some questions, and i'll try to answer them:
- collecting data for the sail polar: yes definitely there is a possibility to turn on/off the recording and or analysis. I think it's needed most of all for when you are motoring... If you don't have decent trim, your speed will anyway be too bad as to correct the sail polar. (unless you begin with a fully blank polar, and in that case even the bad -because too slow- data can be used to get the very first polar input (which data of course will be rapidly replaced when you are sailing with a better trim)
- sea condition: well this is a difficult question... Implementation of this is certainly possible and even not difficult, but... at the end you'll get a huge number of polars, each adapted to a different situation... I don't think this comes in handy, so maybe better implementing a % of best condition depending on seastate ?? (actually not yet implemented in the program) I'm open to suggestions on this...
- NMEA analysis: most programs are capable of displaying raw NMEA data. I wanted to get a step further by implementing different extras:
- sentence per sentence decoding to be able to analyse sentences as
they come in. Can be handy to see if you get certain information or
not, and from which instrument it's coming. (also handy for detecting
non standard sentences (and these exist on a bunch of brands !)
- Representation of decoded data: to check whether a certain sentence
contains the needed information.
- Check on errors on the network: i for instance detected a bad bus
termination, by evaluating the percentage of faulty sentences.
- Connect NMEA data: has to do with develoment: the input of the
comes from a separate small window with sliders on
it. This is to fully test the graphic system. This small window has to
disappear in the final version. Instead data should come from the NMEA
decoding routine. (routine which decodes the NMEA sentences to
useable data in the program)
- Setting up polar database: this means setting up the database
structure which will be used to store polar data for different polars.
- Setting up the data themselves (so introducing some polars to start
with), is not that difficult for my ship since i have factory delivered
polars. The analysis tool will reproduce afterwards my own polar based
on measured data. I'm curious to compare both
Hopefully this is clear to you ? All extra information you could find can be useful. (I'm not searching this much myself for extra information, as my priority this moment is to have the program fully operational ASAP...