Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 15:21   #556

enhanced route properties

virgin poster

I would like to modify the route properties table so that I can plot my route against the actual dates that I plan to sail. It would be great if I could sail to a mooring, then leave the next day and I could show that in my overall journey duration. I email my friends a screen dump of my journey with the route properties shown, but I have to also give dates and times in the email. I would also like to make some comments about my journey plans

Maybe I could import and export as a csv and then do the alterations on the PC
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 04:17   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
virgin poster

I would like to modify the route properties table so that I can plot my route against the actual dates ....
A big +1 from me!
I would also like to (manually) link selected waypoints with tide stations, and see the state of tide in the actual route plan.
I could then plan e.g. to arrive at daylight/slack water and depart with falling tide...

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 15:13   #558

Track other vessels via online GPS (e.g. gpsgate)

Hi, Fantastic product. I'm sorry if this is covered already but I have searched and not found an answer. Is it possible to plot other vessels on the map that have uploaded their GPS co-ords online. For example I currently use GPSGate online to monitor our rescue vessels location on a Google Map but would much prefer to view on OpenCPN. Thank you in anticipation of an answer.
sea_rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 06:39   #559

Boat: Plan Harlé, Baco, 6 mètres - Jane*D
GSHHS vector map plugin and other questions

Hi,
GSHHS
("Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Shoreline Database") is a high-resolution shoreline data.
GSHHS A Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Shoreline Database | ngdc.noaa.gov
It's perhaps not usefull for real navigation but as map input for virtual sailing simulator tools, as VRTool, VRTool route planning tool/ for virtual regattas game (Virtual Regatta - Route du Rhum La Banque Postale, Velux 5 Oceans, Cap Istanbul, Planet Solar ) it's the right vector map system.
Very interested by OpenCPN features I should like to know if anybody has yet tried to get this GSHHS data format in OpenCPN.
I may eventually contribute to write a plugin if I get some hints to proceed.

It will be the first step to make a OpenCPN_for_virtual_regattas version.
Regards.
JF.
Old 02-12-2010, 00:05   #560

Search Function

Hi,

I added a feature request for a search function. There may be several requirements for this function, so I decided to post to the forum as well.

The basics is to search for a name in the chart, such as the name of an island. Search results should be ranked by distance.

Also, some searches might not need a name, such as search for a harbor. So basically, a feature in the style of a car GPS is asked for.

The tricky part is that some installed charts might not support these functions. It must be handled in a proper way. If the user only has searchable charts installed, the search should function normally. If the user has no searchable charts installed, the search feature should be disabled. If the user has both types of charts, some kind of warning should be displayed.
stensmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:58   #561

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stensmo View Post
Hi,

The basics is to search for a name in the chart, such as the name of an island. Search results should be ranked by distance.

Also, some searches might not need a name, such as search for a harbor. So basically, a feature in the style of a car GPS is asked for.
I like that idea. One of the search options should be latitude and longitude, so there would be a quick way to jump to the chart for a place other than your current location. The program knows latitude and longitude for any kind of chart. Searching for any other features would only work with vector charts, as the program has no cognizance of the contents of raster charts.

I don't understand your comment about searches that don't need a name. How would you search for a harbor without naming it?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:05   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I like that idea. One of the search options should be latitude and longitude, so there would be a quick way to jump to the chart for a place other than your current location. The program knows latitude and longitude for any kind of chart. Searching for any other features would only work with vector charts, as the program has no cognizance of the contents of raster charts.

I don't understand your comment about searches that don't need a name. How would you search for a harbor without naming it?

Fabbian
You would see 10 harbors (or so) which are nearest to your boat. On a car GPS you can select gas stations, which would display a similar result.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31   #563

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
You would see 10 harbors (or so) which are nearest to your boat. On a car GPS you can select gas stations, which would display a similar result.
I understand. It wouldn't work like it does on a car GPS with "Points of Interest". The search would have to look for feature classes. You'd miss a lot of places that you might think were excellent harbors but the cartographers didn't choose to describe as harbors (feature class HRBARE or HRBFAC). That's a fault of the chart databases, not OpenCPN.

Searching by feature class would best be handled with a check list of feature classes you could choose from. There is such a list in the Vector Charts tab of the toolbox if you want to see what it looks like.

Name searches would be the most useful given the current state of vector charts. You should be able to search for a name beginning with a string or a name containing a string. You should be able to specify a location (by default it would be your current position) and a distance from that location.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43   #564

The name search would take you a long way, so for a first implementation of the feature, it would be sufficient. I agree you should be able to specify classes.

On a GPS in a car, not all gas stations are listed either, so a harbor feature could still be useful. But this feature is not essential and should be left out in a first implemenation.

The data for harbors should not only come from the chart, I think additional data is required.

Quote:
I understand. It wouldn't work like it does on a car GPS with "Points of Interest". The search would have to look for feature classes. You'd miss a lot of places that you might think were excellent harbors but the cartographers didn't choose to describe as harbors (feature class HRBARE or HRBFAC). That's a fault of the chart databases, not OpenCPN.

Searching by feature class would best be handled with a check list of feature classes you could choose from. There is such a list in the Vector Charts tab of the toolbox if you want to see what it looks like.

Name searches would be the most useful given the current state of vector charts. You should be able to search for a name beginning with a string or a name containing a string. You should be able to specify a location (by default it would be your current position) and a distance from that location.

Fabbian
Old 03-12-2010, 05:52   #565

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
One of the search options should be latitude and longitude, so there would be a quick way to jump to the chart for a place other than your current location.
This one's done in the current beta - Look at FS#42 : Go to position dialog for more info.
The object search is a very different beast though...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10   #566

GPSGate online tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_rescue View Post
I currently use GPSGate online to monitor our rescue vessels location on a Google Map but would much prefer to view on OpenCPN.
sea_rescue...

I made a version of OpenCPN that tracks GPSGate targets along with AIS targets (in my little test bay, for the moment).
If you could PM me access details for some live buddy group on your server for a couple of days, I will test more and try to do something publishable.

Cheers,

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59   #567

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Search Function

Quote:
Hi, I added a feature request for a search function. There may be several requirements for this function, so I decided to post to the forum as well...
I'd like to add my support for this as well. In fact, back in early Sept I posted a very similar request to this forum (& received some positive responses then). I thought I put it into FlySpray as well but I can't find it now.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02   #568

Add comment

on properties of track will be good i think
Bye
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35   #569

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod
Chart Boundaries
I would like to see another alternative in "Toolbox->Vector Charts->Boundaries".
You have Plain and Symbolized - I would like to have the option to turn them OFF.

Dashboard
This should auto resize for the content.

I hope this would be an option in the next release.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:23   #570

In route manager

There is remove a Waypoint from route but not add a waypoint to route.
To insert a waypoint that is already in the list.
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote