Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39   #526

Boat: Pearson 323
Route and Waypoint Manager

The ability to sort waypoints (anchorages in my case) by distance.
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 16:49   #527

It would be really nice to have an "Apply" button on the settings screen so that I can play with all of the different configuration options without having to re-open the settings every time I want to test something.
jimbo3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 05:21   #528

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Dave..

Is there any way you could restrict the display in the AIS Target list to contain only targets within a specified range,the default minimum being the range of the map on display? This would result in a much quicker display, especially within areas with heavy traffic. It would also extend the usability of OpenCPN to those of us who have now become 'armchair sailors'.

Have a look at the Siitech prog. with some 12.000 targets..
http://www.yachtmarine.com/AIS/THE WORLD.html

I would also suggest a very useful feature in the Target list:
A double mouse click on any of the displayed AIS targets would switch the map display to the targets location at a convenient scale.

Thanks for a great program.

Regds
Tore
Old 19-10-2010, 05:45   #529

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Tore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
I would also suggest a very useful feature ...
would be nice if you would (also) add your feature requests to the "official tracker": OpenCPN::Tracker OpenCPN - Feature Requests: Tasklist

Due to spam attacks registration is needed.

Thanks ,
Gunther
Old 19-10-2010, 07:29   #530

Boat: Pearson 323
Route and Waypoint Manager (screen shot added)

Waypoints are sorted alphabetically by default. I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to sort by 'Distance' as well.

(example: Back Creek and Barnes Sound anchorages are 36 and 842 miles respectively from current boat position)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waypoints.png
Views:	193
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	20300  
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 13:28   #531

Agree with Tore to have feature in the Target list, where a double click on any of the displayed AIS targets would switch the map display to the targets location. In addition to that, I think the Target list as it is now, is without a find target option, useless. Please add a find target feature in the Target list!
Also I would like to recommend having a feature to show on chart all AIS targets with names or/and MMSI.
mati414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 07:27   #532

Getting more and more to work with OpenCPN :-) As a feature request, I'd like to suggest a log book with automatic added navigational information, based on time and or distance passage, and being able to export it to a html file.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 07:41   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Getting more and more to work with OpenCPN :-) As a feature request, I'd like to suggest a log book with automatic added navigational information, based on time and or distance passage, and being able to export it to a html file.
Please have a look at: FS#135 : history plugin for opencpn

And after one-off registration you can post your feature requests to the tracker, please.

Thanks,
Gunther
Old 27-10-2010, 08:31   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Please have a look at: FS#135 : history plugin for opencpn

And after one-off registration you can post your feature requests to the tracker, please.

Thanks,
Gunther
Thanks Gunther, I will.

If I want to try this plugin, would mind telling me how to install it? I run OpenCPN on a windows laptop.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 09:40   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Thanks Gunther, I will.

If I want to try this plugin, would mind telling me how to install it? I run OpenCPN on a windows laptop.
You have to build your own version of OpenCPN.
You'll find a guide under: Compiling the Source in Windows | Official OpenCPN Homepage

After you have successfully cloned the GIT repository you'll have to apply the patch (download from FS#135 in the tracker). Then build and install OCPN.

BTW: If you have a look inside the patch file you'll find that geckosenator from the forum here is the author (he also wrote the celestial navigation plug-in). Maybe you're going to contact him?

Gunther
Old 31-10-2010, 13:49   #536

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Show clock time in analog 24 hour for watch keeping

To the right of the HELP icon there is lots of space to put in a clock repeater so you can easily (without reading glasses!!!) see the time and know if your watch is finished. Please show in 24 hour format such as 23:25 in as large a font as the button bar allows.

thanks

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 15:57   #537

Peter ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoree View Post
To the right of the HELP icon there is lots of space to put in a clock repeater so you can easily (without reading glasses!!!) see the time and know if your watch is finished. Please show in 24 hour format such as 23:25 in as large a font as the button bar allows.
Sorry, but I have to contradict you.
If you are running OPCN on a Netbook (or any other small screen devices) there isn't plenty of space. And the space in the toolbar is very "expensive", so I won't see it "wasted" for such a "simple" thing like a time display.

If you are running Vista/7 you can choose from dozens of clock gadgets.

A compromise could be to add a clock dial to the dashboard. And when font size setting is working correctly you can make it as large as you want. Perhaps SethDarth will add it in two variants (digital and analog display).

Gunther
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02   #538

I see your point Gunther. However I sail a lot at night and the glaring Windows gadgets are no pleasure to me. The clock could be a feature you can switch on/off like the grib or the other plugins. The main feature should be to keep the interface as simple as possible. MaxSea is a horror of features you cannot switch off and therefore complicated to use for *new* crew members. In OCPN I personnally would even switch of the *route manager* and *create route* buttons as I only ever use the *go to here* option for my routes.

The problem is the same for virtually all interfaces (mobile phones / MP3 devices / PC's / tablets / digital cameras and almost all software). How to have the option to switch features OFF and simplify the menu and how to increase the font size to be able to use the software or phone/camera/PC without glasses)

Virtually all software and gadgets are made by those under 45 who have little appreciation for simplcity and none at all for reading glasses.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:26   #539
Marine Service Provider

Peter....

I am way over 45 and definitely wear reading classes

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03   #540

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh Dave (do I beat you at 61??)

You are smart enough to make this beautiful software so I must assume you get the idea and I can only hope you agree with having the options of keeping things simple and readable.

Keep up the good work

Peter