Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-09-2010, 06:51   #511

Any progress on Maxsea track conversion into GPX?

I have not followed the recent developments in opencpn, but I am setting up my new windows 7 laptop for navigation and would love to be able to rely exclusively on opencpn. For that, I would really appreciate being able to import maxsea tracks without having to buy gpsutility. Any hope to get this soon?

I have also noticed that with R2,1,0 on W7, the toolbox behaves a little weirdly: whenever I click on a checkbox, the page moves up or down and I have to click a second time to get my checkmark.
Old 19-09-2010, 19:55   #512

MOB function

As I understand it the MOB function requires the user to push the mob icon and than right click over the MOB marker and activate a route to show bearing and distance to return.
In an emergency situation this seems unnecessarily complicated especially if it is an inexperienced crew standing by the plotter.
It would seem a better option for the mob function to operate as a one push button that drops the mob marker and shows the route display at one time. In that manner all you need to teach inexperienced crew is "in the event of a man over board hit that button and report the bearing and distance to the helmsman".
Thanks and great work.
Footloose881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 00:34   #513

Request larger tidal icon in chart

Dear sir, first of all I want to say that I really like the initiative of developing an opensource navigation program. I'm testing OpenCPN now and I like the simple interface and the way charts are presented. I noticed some things which could be enhanced:

- The tidal stations icon is really small when turned on. This makes it hard to find in the chart, especially when there are a lot of other items on the chart. Can this icon be larger, like for instance in Maxsea. When tidestations are turned on you will get a kind of big ruler which indicates the highed of the tide at pressent time and when clicked on it, it will show the tidal graph etc.

- Also I noticed that tidal streams are not shown in the chart when turned on. This happens with c-map charts. When I open the same charts in Maxsea it shows tide arrows in the chart. Maybe I do something wrong here ?

Keep up the good work !!!

Regards,

Bjrn
strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 10:52   #514

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
I believe that some (or all) of the following have been mentioned but don't seem to be in flyspray. I would like the following enhancements:
1. To be able to set route and track color and width. Priority =low
2. For waypoints to not disappear when they have been included in a route. P=low
3. A check box to turn on/off all waypoint names. You could also have a check off for "route point" names. P=low
4. A written log feature. I plan to simulate this on my big trip (next week) by dropping a mark with the log entry in the description field. At the end of the trip I will export these marks and tracks to gpx files. and ultimately to Google Earth. I'll have to be carefull not to delete anything prematurely. P=low
5. A performance improvement project. My cockpit computer is an 800Mhz, 750MB machine. I currently takes over 30 sec to zoom to a route that goes the length of the Chesapeake. I can't remember if quilting was on but I think not. Once zoomed in on the route and zoomed in to a navagating level, things are OK until you import a track (175nm long, then it becomes difficult to pan around. Also a very long track(probably 1000nm) takes longer than I'm willing to wait (several minutes) on my 2 Ghz 2GB machine. I guess the priority =low for this item; but it would be medium if the system has trouble keeping up with a 5 kn boat with tracking on, an active route, and an imported track. I'll know next week.
Old 21-09-2010, 11:39   #515

Boat: On the Hard
The spec on that machine is a bit low in terms of memory, especially if your running windows for graphics intensive stuff like OCPN. If your stuck on windows, then kick in some more memory if its available for that unit. The performance hit will surprise you. I run low end machines at this end as well but mostly on linux, all work fine. When I do run windows (dual boot system) then I install only the application I need for testing and then delete it when done. Windows tends to have many needless processes running in the background, so adding one application only seems to keep windows moving at a reasonable rate.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 13:49   #516

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
The spec on that machine is a bit low in terms of memory, especially if your running windows for graphics intensive stuff like OCPN. If your stuck on windows, then kick in some more memory if its available for that unit. The performance hit will surprise you. I run low end machines at this end as well but mostly on linux, all work fine. When I do run windows (dual boot system) then I install only the application I need for testing and then delete it when done. Windows tends to have many needless processes running in the background, so adding one application only seems to keep windows moving at a reasonable rate.
I'm running XP on a Fujitsu st4121 and can't add any more memory. I'm not savy enough to do anything other than XP. When OpenCPN is running its the only application running. It'll probably be 2 yrs before I buy something faster/bigger. There is still the problem with long tracks (probably also long routes or many shorter routes) on a 2Mhz 2 GB machine on XP.
Old 21-09-2010, 14:43   #517

Boat: On the Hard
OK understand. Perhaps this will help speed up that nice little tablet.

Speedup Your PC

Best of luck.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 08:14   #518
EOB

SCAMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
tenlee...

It looks as if you are looking at two different S57 cells. The soundings are part of the cell database, and should be the same on all S57 ENC viewers.

I can't find a case where the same cell shows more cluttered soundings on opencpn than the other systems. I'd love to see this case for review and debug.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
Although S-57 has SCAMIN feature, many cells doesn't implement it.
Some systems have internal scamin like function to clear the chart presentation.
Best regards, Eloi
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:23   #519

Boat: Pearson 323
Three features I would like to see.

1. Statute Miles (for use on the ICW)

2. Large Display of SOG and COG (My laptop sits on the salon table while I view and control it from the helm while underway)

3. Waypoint Manager (to list and center-on waypoints/marks, such as anchorages)
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:38   #520

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
For larger SOG etc use PolarCom
see NMEA Instruments | Official OpenCPN Homepage

good luck

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:38   #521

Thanks, Peter

PolarCOM works really well as an instrument display.

John
Old 27-09-2010, 19:45   #522

I think a change in the scale of trackpoints would be worthy of attention. Currently you can only get down to .05 of a naut. mile. While that seems tiny, in the area I frequent, with very narrow, and meandering channels, this produces tracks that go straight over islands, and and bends. If I use seconds, this can produce a track of hundreds of waypoints that are in relatively straight lines. I think an option to record a change in heading, would produce a smoother and accurate track.
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 00:06   #523

The VSPE program on the same link is also very handy when you want to use PolarCom and OCPN at the same time. It generates a virtual comport so that when OCPN uses your GPS and you start PolarCOM you do not get the *comport busy* error.
Old 28-09-2010, 04:25   #524

Yes, that is how I have it configured and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

John
Old 28-09-2010, 05:08   #525

Dashboard feautures

Testing the dashboard I found that under Vista in Build 2.2 918
1) resizing does not work
2) if you change settings, they cannot be saved
3) In Tsunamis there is a depth tracing feature giving you a small grapphic display of the bottom area you just passed. This is great to see if the shoal coming up is slow or steep and thus estimate the seconds left before you HAVE to go about. In sandy straits this is a great help in optimising your tack lenght.