Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 04:14   #466

Boat: Ocean Cruising 40 - SHINING STAR
Waypoint data display

I have recently converted from The Cap'n. My large waypoint collection uses the waypoint name to describe the waypoint type: 0001, 0002 and up are navigation waypoints, A001's are anchorages, D001's are docks. etc.
This scheme allows easy transfer of waypoint subsets to my GPS's (used as redundant, real-time backups to OpenCPN).
The Cap'n has the ability to list waypoints, along with their attibutes.
This naming convention allows easy grouping, as well as knowing the name of the last of-a-type entered. For example, if I wish to add a new anchorage, I want its name to be one more than the last (A345 if the last was A344).
I request that OpenCPN have a similar capability.

Bob Jennette
Bob Jennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 22:43   #467
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Not a bad idea. This has been discussed before, there are even some proof of concept here.

But .... google doesn't allow it. Read the license in GE -> Help -> License -> §2.
So this can't become a feature of OpenCPN.

Thomas

The end user license for GE is one thing.

We are still chewing over the matter of Google's APIs and to what extent it means for georeferenced static maps and if they might at some point be readable in opencpn.

c.f. Google Maps/Google Earth APIs Terms of Service - Google Maps API Family - Google Code §7.1(c)
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:21   #468
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I seriously doubt OpenCPN can incorporate GE based on the Terms. Maybe, and really just maybe they would grant the authority, but I doubt it.

Based on what I see, they don't want it to be used in any way except a web application freely available to the public via the internet. And I mean, like if OpenCPN was available to be run from the web. The actual image created must be viewable by the public. It's not good enough for the application to be free to the public.

If that wasn't enough, they specifically exclude real time navigation.

§10.8 - Cannot be used other than in a web browser.

§9.1 - Cannot operate behind a firewall or only on a private network.
§10.9(c) - Cannot be deployed internally.

§10.9(a) - Cannot be used for real time navigation.

There are individual sentences that can be interpreted different. But if you take it as a whole, I think their intent is clear. Any image you download has to be displayed in a web application served over the internet to the public. If the images are only viewable by you, then they aren't allowed.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 20:49   #469
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I seriously doubt OpenCPN can incorporate GE based on the Terms. Maybe, and really just maybe they would grant the authority, but I doubt it.

Based on what I see, they don't want it to be used in any way except a web application freely available to the public via the internet. And I mean, like if OpenCPN was available to be run from the web. The actual image created must be viewable by the public. It's not good enough for the application to be free to the public.

<snip>
§10.9(a) - Cannot be used for real time navigation.

There are individual sentences that can be interpreted different. But if you take it as a whole, I think their intent is clear. Any image you download has to be displayed in a web application served over the internet to the public. If the images are only viewable by you, then they aren't allowed.

-dan

I'm not sure anything is clear. GE *is* being used for real time navigation.

EarthNC Plus | EarthNC

...just as an example. It might be a Google product, with the $ going into their pockets. EarthNC might have gotten a dispensation from the pope. I don't know.

There are other counter examples that appear to be contrary to the rules of Google even down to a nit-picking screen shot emailed to a friend.

The question for me was not if opencpn will incorporate GE into the fold, but can the images be georeference in a manner recognizable in opencpn [that is not so bloody tedious and time consuming] in a standardised manner and will not put the boot of big brother up my bum.

I swear they will not be used for real time navigation.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:11   #470

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Fugawi seems to have got the same dispensation with their GE plugin which they have been saying is just experimental for years.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:34   #471
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Fugawi seems to have got the same dispensation with their GE plugin which they have been saying is just experimental for years.
Exactly. I also think the data is available to mere mortals too...

Nice effort with your rexx script, btw. I tried to run it last night but found out my Windows is buggered up...with no re-install currently available.

Do you have a linux port to regina-rexx?

Oh, and since this is the 'features thread' my wishlist might have geotiff.

--

Look for Navigatrix, the first linux distribution for cruisers...coming soon.
Old 21-07-2010, 02:14   #472

Wadda,

Unfortunately my GE2KAP program won't run on Linux even under wine. The problem is there doesn't seem to be an ActiveX interface in Linux. So I can't access Google Earth to get the calibration data like I can in Windows.
Old 27-07-2010, 06:32   #473

Boat: Moody 425 sloop
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants this feature.
I'd like to enable the 'north up' button for ICW charts. Much agida from seeing the chart orientation jump around.
North up would be great!
Helmsmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21   #474

Boat: HR40
I would like to connect all my tracks to one long track to see the whole track of the year. How can I do this ? is excell ok to do it ?

and , when I have this track , how can I make it visible in google earth?

maybe somebody here is able to make a programm to do this outside of opencpn.....?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54   #475

I wrote such a program. It was originally for SeaClear tracks but I think it will work on openCPN tracks. Do you have any openCPN tracks I can test it on.

email me at phiggins()gmn-usa.com (change the () to you know what)
Old 04-08-2010, 03:58   #476

Boat: Örnvik 520DC
Send a message via Skype™ to Peep
OpenCPN fullscreen

Please add also fullscreen and Always on Top function in future if possible.
Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48   #477

Please add features: show ais names if ais targets are displayed; and search for ais targets (with focus on the map of searched ais target).

Opencpn is really nice software, good work and keep going!
mati414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:20   #478

ive just been using opencpn for a couple of weeks now and its brilliant! easy to use and has pretty much all the functionalilty i need, just a few little additions would be nice...

Grib viewing - currently to look at a grin you have the grib manager and have to click up and down the list, then hover the mouse over the location... What would be nice would be able to load the whole grib file and have the wind speed/strength indicators overlayed on the chart, a tool tip to display the wind data and time control buttons to move forward and back through the data.... that way its easier to see wind and rain changes through the day.

Tides - the current tide icons are really small and very easy to loose in waterways with lots of detail, so just making those larger would be good, as would overlaying tidal streams - like the 'total tides' product (but i know the latter would be a huge task!!)

Finally! we have been using opencpn during cowes week and noticed that drying heights dont have the heights (depths?!) plotted on them, is it possible to display those??

hope it doesnt sound like im complaining!!! keep up the good work!
mattpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32   #479

sorry, ive just realised that 2.1.0 does display the wind arrows from grib files! I just had not noticed them as I am used to expediotin and ugrib where the arrows are a lot larger... the ability to navigate the grib file without having to open the grib manager would still be a nice feature though...

The way that Opencpn handles tidal gribs could be made a little more userfriendly when zoomed in - using the current NO grb file from here ftp://ftp.bsh.de/Stroemungsvorhersagen/ opencpn will not display any data untill zoomed out far enough to see the whole UK, but the same grib loaded into expeditionLT will produce the following which can be a lot more useful for shorter passages...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expeditionLT tidal.png
Views:	194
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	18228  
mattpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 22:49   #480

Boat: Najad 520 - Barbara Ann
Probably just a repeat of an old question on CM93 and OpenCpn

Hello Dave,

I'm running OpenCpn 2.1 here in Malaysia on a cruising yacht. It's working great with CM93-2 charts, and the AIS system is tracking over 100 targets near us in the Singapore Straits! Great program. I was looking on the OpenCpn site, and in this forum, for any mention of if and when the CM93 version 3 charts will ever be able to be used. I tried to "point" the program at the charts, but no go, and I see from your site that they are not compatible. The CM93 ed2 charts are getting a little old. Just wanted to know why the newer edition charts can't be used.

Also, the vector chart site link for free SE Asia charts (posted on a couple of cruising sites and forums) doesn't seem to work. The URL is not active.

Thanks,

Jack
s/v Barbara Ann
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
barbara ann is offline   Reply With Quote