Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 14:56   #451

Hey Dave

Are you able to give an outline timetable for the further development of OpenCPN and the inclusion (or exclusion) of some or all of the feature requests submitted on this thread.

It would be a great help to everyone if you could itemise what the initial priorities will be for the development team (excluding bug fixes of course) so that we can be specific with our suggestions to ensure that they match the proposed development program.

Best wishes ........... Doug
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 13:17   #452

Boat: HR40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skua View Post
I see that a smaller own ship icon is a fairly common request. Has that been implemented, or am I simply not seeing how to do that?
for my 8-inch screen the ship symbol should not be smaller !
so maybe this should be editable in the toolbox to make everybody happy ?

but, when I dropped anchor and pressed the MOB button, I had problems to edit the MOB mark because it was hidden by the ship....., so I had to wait some minutes for the ship to move from the mark.
Old 08-07-2010, 16:14   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy-revolution View Post
Hi,
A couple of issues I've found are that the SOG COG and position are displayed too small, my partner has trouble seeing it. Also if I put the laptop to sleep to conserve battery power OpenCPN can't find the GPS on restart. I have to change the port from say com4 to com3 then back again for it to reconnect to the GPS feed.

Other than that it magic!
I've tried this at home. I'm going to try it the next time out on the boat.
I'm running Vista which has a feature called Magnifier. I set it up to be fixed on the bottom of the screen. So if I set the cursor to the bottom of Open CP/N the bottom line or area should be magnified.

Hope it works for me. The only bad thing is if you move the cursor the magnifier follows the cursor.

Gordon
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 20:54   #454

Boat: On the Hard
A feature request that may be of interest. google earth/maps allows for detailed views of harbours and the images are downloadable. Was wondering if such images could be included in opencpn once they are geo-referenced. Would make a nice addition and very useful both in the planning stages and just before entering port as it gives you a nice overview of what to expect prior too entry.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 00:30   #455

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
A feature request that may be of interest. google earth/maps allows for detailed views of harbours and the images are downloadable. Was wondering if such images could be included in opencpn once they are geo-referenced. Would make a nice addition and very useful both in the planning stages and just before entering port as it gives you a nice overview of what to expect prior too entry.
Not a bad idea. This has been discussed before, there are even some proof of concept here.

But .... google doesn't allow it. Read the license in GE -> Help -> License -> §2.
So this can't become a feature of OpenCPN.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47   #456

[QUOTE=cagney;483096]Not a bad idea. This has been discussed before, there are even some proof of concept here.

But .... google doesn't allow it. Read the license in GE -> Help -> License -> §2.
So this can't become a feature of OpenCPN.
------------------------------------\\-----------------------------

Thanks Thomas for the information and the re-direct. Will start working on this issue independantly on linux as the text is written for windows users. Not much different other then the tool sets used. One point to mention, QGIS has an excellent tool to georeference anything that you can load into the putter. Nice tool set as well and its platform agnostic.

Next point. Im interested in getting OpenCPN working on Meego so that once those nice cheap Chinese tablet clones start to appear on the market say Q4 for xmas, that it will be ready to go. Im not a programmer rather an enthusiast. Was wondering if anyone else is interested in the same. If not will keep accurate notes as will be doing it mostly from source on the first run. Meego uses a weird form of rpm unique to them so not interested in learning it at this time, rather getting OCPN working on the netbook version first. Then we can worry about package management for upstream usage.

Best and thanks.....what a wonderful program. Its really appreciated and used solely for all my sailing adventures.

/ch
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55   #457

Sorry to pester, but a meego install should be under a different topic heading, as there are issues to be addressed.

What topic sticky would you recommend.

For example. gpsd is not used nor preferred on meego, rather gypsy and geoclue as the nmea interface and aggregator.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01   #458

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Thomas..

How do you disable the many photo overlays in Google Earth? There must be a 'switch' somewhere to able/disable the overlays? Catching a screen dump of a port area is not so interesting with a lot of disturbing overlays.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08   #459

In the Layers Section there are switches for features that you can turn on an off. Note Google earth and google maps use the same tile sets, so you can work with either one to look at various geographical features.

Also do check out QGIS available for windows, its an excellent tool to work with all kinds of geo-referenced data. Its pretty user friendly but does take a bit of a learning curve.

Hope that helps.

/ch
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22   #460

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Quote:
I wrote a program, based on all those good ideas about creating KAP files, that creates a BSB/KAP chart directly from the GE using its ActiveX/COM interface. You don't have to enter any calibration data or use SeaClear's MAPCAL. Simply display the area on GE, save the image and press one button on my program and presto. It also creates a BMP file and an entry in SeaClear's CHARTCAL.DIR so you can check the calibration.

It really comes in handy when you sail in those areas with bad or no charts like Central America.

It only works on Windows. If anyone wants a copy semd me a private message. But be aware of what Cagney said about the Google Earth license, I'll Leave it up to to interpret it.
Old 11-07-2010, 17:23   #461

Conversion program

Hi Phil...

I sent a message in your private mailbox. Did you read it?
Interested in your conversion program.

Thanks

Tore
Old 11-07-2010, 17:25   #462

Thanks Sailiais for the GE tip. Worked a treat....

Tore
Old 12-07-2010, 13:50   #463
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
I made this program in Linux.
It is the object of my code "Convert a TIFF image map KAP"

But I can not publish the manufacture of Google map,
It is in Beta and as you say we need to make a plugin card for use with a browser.

M'dJ
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:55   #464

GE2KAP

phiggins (Paul) has created a great utility to convert any Google Map screen to a calibrated .kap file. Excellent utility to make harbour plans etc. It uses a 'ole/com' facility in GE to automatically transfer the geo locations of the displayed screen and merge with the saved bitmap file. No need for time consuming entries of geo locations in MapCal etc. Contact Paul for info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE2KAP.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	17749  
Old 17-07-2010, 08:06   #465

Hello,

I come back on something which have been ask before :

When you are in the Route Manager and you want to import tracks (or routes), you have to do that one by one. Imagine what it is when you have to import a lot of tracks (or routes) !
The mouse died before you succeed .

Need the possibilty of a multiple selection when you open the folder.

Jean-Pierre
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote