Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 06:33   #31
Marine Service Provider

Track Import/Export

jfch....

Are you having trouble with track and route import/export?

If so, could you please post some examples and methods in the BetaTest/Technical thread of what you have tried? Also, please post the results by screenshot/description.

This should be working in Build 917

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 07:23   #32
EOB

NTMs

To Dave,
I would like OpenCPN has a way to make correction on charts (radio warnings) and show the NTMs embedded in BSB format. Let´s think about ...
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 08:25   #33

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+ ability to display a configurable 'zone' (say a circle) and 'bearing' around the yacht - would make visual control much easier in a couple of sailing / anchoring situations

b.
Check Toolbox==>>Etc.==>>Show radar rings
That is your "configurable zone".

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:54   #34

Boat: Wasa 410
Wish list: WCI chart option

First: Great with an open source navigation software project. Well done Dave!

I would love to see an option for using home made scanned and calibrated charts.
Some arguments:
1. In most of non-US electronic charts are expensive.
2. A3 scanners are much more affordable nowadays, and several european countries are publishing papercharts in A3 which make it fast and convenient to scan without the need for stiching charts together.
3. Heaps of natural harbour charts from pilot books and harbour guides can be scanned and used for planning and careful navigation.
4. WCI charts can easily be updated, corrected and saved again.

The easiest way seem to use MAPCAL, the converter to WCI and calibration application supported by a seaclear installation. (www.sping.se). It is very easy to use, takes only a minute or so per chart after a little practise.

The alternative is to calibrate home scanned charts to BSB using the libbsb package. It does not have a graphical front end and the BSB format is not easy to get right in the calibrations part, and the libbsb has been reported to be troublesome to use.

I vote for incorporating the wci format in opencpn if possible.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 14:37   #35

Boat: Sailboat
WCI charts

Jonas: +1 on that. I have used mapcal from the SeaCLear package, it is easy enough to use.

But I believe WCI is a Seaclear only format, I haven't found any other application mention it. Please correct me if I am wrong here!!

This would mean for the Seaclear developer to open-source the format. Dave, care to contact sping.com?

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 17:19   #36
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
For a home-scanned format, the world file format is probably the one to use. It is very common in the GIS world. You have a .jpg, .gif, .tif, .most any format with a matching text file that tells the location of the corners, etc.

The only other commonly available format I am familiar with is the geo-tiff. Tiffs have internal text tags. In the standards they made allowances for a class of user defined tags. The GIS community came up with a standard for using these user defined tags to store the georeferencing info in there. But it's basically just the world file embedded inside the tiff. Might be some reason to try to include these, as well. There are topo maps, especially, that are available in geo-tiff. BUT, since it's so easy to convert a geo-tiff to a .tif with a world file, maybe supporting geo-tiffs is not necessary.

There is also a standard for the extension for the world files. The .tif has a world file of .tfw. Each one is a coupla of the letters of the original extension with w w added.

We have found some utilities to georeference raster images and create the world files. Just haven't found the exact one that does exactly what we need in an easy to use interface. But the Georeferencer comes very close except that it only accepts UTM coordinates. However, the source code is available, so that might be easily rectified.

Maybe someone that knows more about GIS and world files can tell me if there are flaws in this logic. Like, can you tell it what datum to use in a world file? I am far from being an expert. It's just that I've been searching around because I have about 1.5TB of aerial photos and topo maps I'd like to use in my navigation program, so I've been looking for a while.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 15:19   #37

Colors of own ship vs AIS targets

We passed through NYC today, East River and New York Harbor. This was a great test for opencpn.

One major complaint I have is the selection of colors for AIS targets and the own boat.

For AIS targets we have:
yellow: Basic AIS information received, like MMSI, Position, COG, SOG
green: Full AIS information received, including Name, destination, ship type...
red: dangerous target, per CPA/TCPA calculation

For own ship we have:
green: GPS position received
red: no valid GPS position.

Please have look at the attached picture:
It was pretty hard to find the own ship among all the anchored and moving green AIS targets.

If we want to stick with green for our own ship, then we probably need to find other colors for the AIS targets. Red for a dangerous target is a must. But the distinction between full and partial AIS info with green and yellow is probably too much. I suggest to make all moving AIS targets yellowish (smaller difference between full AIS and partial AIS info). I say "moving AIS targets" because I also would like to see anchored/moored AIS targets in another color, gray perhaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Opencpn-NY-Harbor.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	10069  
Old 22-09-2009, 16:25   #38
Marine Service Provider

Colors

LeaseOnLife....

After two days underway with green ownship icon, I tend to agree. The icon tends to be exactly the same color as green ATONs on RNCs.

I guess I could live with only one of yellow/green for safe AIS targets, although yellow is rarely seen on charts, and usually transient for AIS targets.

I invite more comments on color.

For now, the 1.3.4 release will have green ownship as standard, with backdoor config option for red ownship.

Ideas?
Dave
Old 22-09-2009, 18:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post

I invite more comments on color.

Dave
If we go back and question the own ship icon, again....

I vote for red for the own ship. This seems to conform with the default configs of SeaClear, MaxSea, Fugawi, Raytech. I also vote for red for the COG predictor.

We do need to find a way to alert the user that the GPS input isn't working anymore. I believe I asked for an audible alarm in the past. Additionally a transparent alarm window, similar to AIS alarm, alerting the user that GPS data aren't available anymore. Maybe turn the own ship icon gray then.
Old 22-09-2009, 18:05   #40

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave,

How about own ship is port red and strb green when GPS is tracking. That will make it just a little bit easier to interpret passing situations. Red is good when no GPS.

Thanks,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 18:38   #41

Red & Green, intriguing.

I just copied half of the red icon over the green icon. I think we need a brighter red.

And how about the white stern light? Proper angles for the nav lights?
Attached Images

Old 22-09-2009, 20:10   #42

I like this red and green idea too, it makes sense. I'd like to know if anyone out there really thinks its necessary for the ship to change look depending on if there is gps signal or not. Perhaps, I can make a red/green ship that always is red/green. Any thoughts?

Will
Old 22-09-2009, 20:49   #43
Marine Service Provider

Ownship color

All...

Red/Green split ship is entirely too busy for me.

I like red, going grey with no GPS. This follows S52 standards.......

FWIW, S52 also suggests a simple bulls-eye target when the scale is very small, I think less than 1/50,000. Also red/grey.

two cents....
Dave
Old 22-09-2009, 21:40   #44

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
I'd like to know if anyone out there really thinks its necessary for the ship to change look depending on if there is gps signal or not.Will
IMO, I think it absolutely necessary to be able to tell if you've lost GPS..ownship should change color, I think..just my $.02 worth.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:42   #45

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

Red/Green split ship is entirely too busy for me.

I like red, going grey with no GPS. This follows S52 standards.......

FWIW, S52 also suggests a simple bulls-eye target when the scale is very small, I think less than 1/50,000. Also red/grey.

two cents....
Dave
Agree..this seems simple, elegant, keeping with established standards..
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote