Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 21:27   #331
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
I had the same experience with a COMAR Class B transponder. For a quick fix in chartplotting one might use PolarCOM, which does the COG/SOG dampening, but this will not affect the broadcasts...
FWIW the current version of PolarCOM only dampens the "stationary" data (i.e. the fluctuating momentary speed/course generated when you are not moving and GPS is calculating these values based on small errors in signal). This is more of a nuisance cleanup - making sure your data does not jump around when you are actually not moving.

The upcoming version will include additional smoothing for the actual movement data (in a few levels approximately covering intervals of 5 seconds to about 2 minutes) for 3 separate items - SOG/COG, heading/stw and wind.
brak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 21:39   #332

Just loaded up CPN and love it! Thanks!
I have also successfully loaded other charts ie: Thai, phillipines, Indo with no problems so far, as well as cm93.
We love having the alternatives to view.
Any chance of incorporating zoom pics from Google Earth?
cheers and thanks again.
gannett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 07:49   #333

Boat: On the Hard
A feature that would be great on OpenCPN would be integration of ActiveCaptain's data base of various waypoints. Should be as simple as grabbing the RSS feed, converting the xml file to gpx and then have an overlay control function. Would make a great addition to OpenCPN IMHO and I dont think there are any licensing issues to be considered nor a violation of the existing license model or proposed compliance with the Debian licensing model.

Will be using both applications to get my boat home, some 1500 miles so should be a good test on the functionality of OpenCPN. Many thanks for a nice peice of software that finally runs well on linux.

sailias
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 14:12   #334

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
A feature that would be great on OpenCPN would be integration of ActiveCaptain's data base of various waypoints. Should be as simple as grabbing the RSS feed, converting the xml file to gpx and then have an overlay control function. Would make a great addition to OpenCPN IMHO and I dont think there are any licensing issues to be considered nor a violation of the existing license model or proposed compliance with the Debian licensing model.
This has been discussed ad nauseam here, there are a couple of interface options and there certainly would be a lot of enthusiasm for having an interface to the cruising wikis.

Obviously a free software navigation programme with built-in interface for reading and writing user contributions to an online database (cached when offline) would be a bit of a killer solution.

On the thread the issue most commonly cited with regards to activecaptain is in fact the licensing scheme, which requires users to cede all rights to the site owner, whilst all modern user-contributed wikis use creative commons licenses (that ensure the data stays free).

The most desirable/plausible site mentioned seemed to be openseamap.org. It supports any type of mark and descriptor and has open licensing. The conclusion arrived at IIRC was a dreamt up interface for external databases, which is awaiting implementation by one of the resident coding gurus
Old 14-04-2010, 18:07   #335

Boat: On the Hard
Thanks for your detailed response. I gone over the thread and its an interesting discussion. Learned much as always as there are different points of view each valid from their own camps. I guess the main issue is this, the licensing structure adopted by OpenCPN and how that allows other data sources to interoperate, and then a standardized method. Third option is what OpenGIS uses which is a pluggin system independantly developed by others to a standardize format. The data source licenses then become less of an issue (I say less not irrevocable) as the data is transmitted one way.

I really like this piece of software and have tested it enough 1.3.6, to make it the resident program to get me home, some 1500 miles in the comming weeks. Add to that zyGrib, and xtides and you have a 90 percent solution. The last piece and this is where I use AC data is anchorages and marina information. The accuracy of that data is important and will be tested on the trip home. It is not in the unix/linux tradition to develop comprehensive programs that do everything, rather do one thing and do it well or stellar. (speaking of stellar, stellarium is in the kit as well) Hence if I were asked, which Ive not, just hoping to make a simple contribution, a pluggin module system would go a long way to address many issues, as well as take the burden of development off the core group and allow them the time and energy to do what they do best.

Thanks for allowing me to comment. Its appreciated. As I get more into this piece of software I would like to help out on the documentation front. Once I get home that is as I dont code but do have some experience with OSS projects and will have some time this summer sitting on a hook, contemplating my next step.

Best regards
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 03:12   #336

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
remove option for unused buttons

The simple and uncluttered interface is possibly the greatest asset of Open CPN.
My set of charts doe not seem to react on the scaling-up and scaling -down buttons so I only use the zoon-in and zoom-out.
Ideally I would like to remove buttons that I will never use.
Even de large red X (exit program) seems unnecessary as both windows and linux already provide a righthand-topcorner x for closing your program.
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 03:14   #337

COG line forward

A feature I use in Tsunamis/MaxSea/SOG is the option to choose an extended COG line (it expands over the whole current map).
One look at the chart gives then a clear indication if one is really going to the desired harbour on the other side of the pond.
The current standard COG line from the ship is more useful when using AIS and could be auto-activated when AIS button is *on*.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:15   #338

Depth sounder tracking feature

Tsunamis has this and I use it very much when tacking between sandbars. The Tracking Feature ideally has a resizable window where you can set max/min depth and the distance over which the data is kept. One can thus always *see* the slope of the sandbars and estimate the time left before one must go about. The feature is also very handy for visually spotting arrival at the 10 meter depth line to pickup the outer bouys of a shipping lane.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:16   #339

Show data background red when data input unreliable

Red background or red lettering of any data that is invalid because of loss of signal is a valuable and easy warning system.
Now I notice that when I unplug my GPS the chart datum shifts from subtle green to subtle red but that is not the place where I am looking.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:18   #340

Auto Follow button should be a ship icon

When I am at the helm and a crew shouts *where is the ship on the chart* I now must haller *click the funny button to the left of the wrench*.
I much prefer to shout: *click on the boat*. The crew will then remember for ever.
The situation above actually happens very often when I run Tsunamis, but never when I run MaxSea or SOB which indeed have the boat icon looking like well ....... a boat!
Old 21-04-2010, 03:19   #341

Ship's position at screen edge (max chart forward)

Ship's position neer screen edge so as to *see* as much as possible forward area (could be an option in settings of the *Auto Follow* button.
Tsunamis / MaxSea / SOB all have this option which is quite useful.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:21   #342

current info in North Sea area

The current info in the USA area shows up fine but there is none available for the North Sea area.
From a marketing point of view: that is the most densely populated boating area of the globe AND there is lots of current to take in to account when navigating.
(Competition such as MaxSea and SOB give plenty of this current info on their chart displays).
Old 21-04-2010, 03:22   #343

Routing info when TTG > 24 hrs - ID: 2985367

When TTG is larger than 24hrs the format in the route/leg display window for the TTG should change to days and hours (minutes and seconds becoming irrelevant).
Some of us do cross oceans once and a while and it is nice to know how many days there are left to go.
Old 22-04-2010, 01:51   #344

Boat: Amel Super Maramu
A feature I am missing is an Icon to measure the distance on a chart!
Paul
Polo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 02:05   #345
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo2010 View Post
A feature I am missing is an Icon to measure the distance on a chart!
Paul
I use F4 to get the measure instrument up. And Esc to get rid of it.
Its somewhere on the right button menu.

The measure instrument needs to have a Path feature too so multiple measurement can be made, for example, along a proposed route or there part of, without having to make a route.

I use 'measure' more than anything else. It should be a pretty important focus

Also when started the Measure info box is too close to the pen pointer.... I can never read underneith it! and its always finds itself a position to be in the way

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote