Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:18   #316
Registered User
 
Psyches's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Posts: 187
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Two new issues open up now:

- there might be a need for "Delete <ALL> Tracks"
- there might be a need to limit the track length - perhaps stop/restart at midnight, or at nearest 8 bells if >10000 points?

Any opinions?

Piotr
re: Delete all, I completely agree...it's needed.
re: track length limit - I vote "maybe". Perhaps configurable?

Mark
__________________

__________________
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:40   #317
Senior Cruiser
 
idpnd's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Almería, ES
Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Posts: 1,549
Pjotr, I'm back at the ranch, time to try the patches. Problem is there's so many of them I'm having a hard time getting them in the right order etc. Are you going to issue a cumulative patch? Can they be applied singularly or does it have to be in the correct order?

Thanks for your attention
__________________

__________________
sv Libertalia
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:11   #318
Registered User
 
jonasaberg's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
Boat: Wasa 410
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
re: Delete all, I completely agree...it's needed.
re: track length limit - I vote "maybe". Perhaps configurable?

Mark
Configurable
+1

I like to be able to plot the full track of a multiday race or the whole track of a vacation. The time it takes is not an issue then - but it is while navigating- thus configurable.

/Jonas
__________________
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24   #319
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
time to try the patches
I put the Forums - Post 414957">patch-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-summary in the thread on colors & segments, i.e. the latest patch. Let us continue the technical discussion there.

Pioitr
__________________
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:36   #320
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I have added a new feature request and bug report.

The feature is to have continuously updating cursor position (as in under mouse pointer) which saves all the clicking around when trying to find a lat/long.
OpenCPN already has this feature. As I move the cursor the "cursor position" in the status bar is continuously updated, although, with a about one second delay.
The question is.....why isn't this feature working on your box??

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:57   #321
Senior Cruiser
 
idpnd's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Almería, ES
Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Posts: 1,549
You're absolutely correct, I'd never noticed.. Probably because the delay is slightly above my attention span of 600 ms, I just kept clicking and clicking
__________________
sv Libertalia
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03   #322
EOB
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Niterói - RJ - Brasil
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
OpenCPN already has this feature. As I move the cursor the "cursor position" in the status bar is continuously updated, although, with a about one second delay.
The question is.....why isn't this feature working on your box??

Thomas
I notice the delay is much larger on Linux than on Windows?! Any idea to short it on Linux?
__________________
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38   #323
Registered User
 
Islander's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 166
Possible to change the "measure" feature?

I'd really like to be able to measure in feet, or at least to another decimal place in NM. As it is implemented (to two decimal places) the measure changes only every 60 feet. Another decimal place would reduce this to 6 feet which would be precise enough for my purpose, as it would be within the margin of error of my GPS.

I have figured out how to calculate where my anchor is and would like to drop a waypoint on it to set an drag alarm.

Cheers.
__________________
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 15:11   #324
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 619
Precise measurements and coordinate formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I'd really like to be able to measure in feet, or at least to another decimal place in NM. As it is implemented (to two decimal places) the measure changes only every 60 feet. Another decimal place would reduce this to 6 feet which would be precise enough for my purpose, as it would be within the margin of error of my GPS.
I vote +1 for this, especially in the context of anchor watch. In my patch kit #4 (anchor watch) I included modification to the measure tool, giving meters for distances below 0.1 nm. It is available Forums - Post 409756">here.


Another request is for allowing multiple coordinate formats in the Mark Properties dialog, so I could copy/paste coordinates from many sources. I support this request in the usual way in a separate thread multiple coordinate formats.

Cheers,

Piotr
__________________
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16   #325
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
I'd vote for the anchor alarm as well - would be real nice.
I've got another one...would it be possible to add an ETA field in the "route properties" page? When you are planning a route it would be nice to be able to put in a start time and then be able to see at which time you arrive at each waypoint, without having to continuously add your ETE to the start time...especially if you a looking to arrive somewhere at a specific tide or current state.
Thanks, and great work by the way!
__________________
sapster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41   #326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 3,783
COG/SOG Averaging

Just ran up from Trinidad to Barbados with a new West Marine AIS transponder and OpenCPN, and have discovered that the GPS in the transponder does no averaging for SOG and COG, so the OpenCPN display jumps around +/- one knot and ten degrees. This also makes the CPA calculation pretty jittery. Is there any way to smooth out the SOG and COG with a 10 or 20 data point rolling average??

I plan on going after WMP to see if they can put the averaging in the transponder, because any data the transponder broadcasts is going to show my course and speed jumping around like a drunken monkey, but the fix may take a while because of FCC approvals.
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32   #327
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
the GPS in the transponder does no averaging for SOG and COG, so the OpenCPN display jumps around +/- one knot and ten degrees.
I had the same experience with a COMAR Class B transponder. For a quick fix in chartplotting one might use PolarCOM, which does the COG/SOG dampening, but this will not affect the broadcasts...
__________________
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 06:33   #328
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 3,783
My $25 USB GPS puck also doesn't have internal dampening, so there's another class of OpenCPN users who would benefit from a rolling average for SOG/COG. I looked at my Garmin 128 GPS, and its set for a 20 second average, which seems to smooth out most of the fluctuations.
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 16:09   #329
Registered User
 
Beausoleil's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Potomac Shores, VA USA
Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Posts: 557
Images: 1
NOAA Automated Distribution Infrastructure for ENC/RNC Charts

I just found this pdf document when searching the web for information about automatic chart synchronization - i.e., automatically downloading new/updated NOAA ENC/RNC charts.

Here's a snippet from the introduction:

NOAA has developed a hardware and file infrastructure which allows third parties to build software that can automate the downloading of the current versions of NOAA’s digital nautical charts. The distribution infrastructure consists of three components: Three geographically separated and mirrored Web servers with high bandwidth connections to the internet; static links to NOAA chart files; and two eXtensible Markup Language (.XML) product catalogs—one for Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) and one for Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs). The product catalogs contain chart metadata, release dates and URL addresses of the static links for
downloading the charts.

Software applications can be developed that read the .XML product catalog files to determine the current status of charts available. This can be compared to the status of charts on a mariner’s system, and needed updates automatically determined for download to the mariner’s computer.


Any interest in a simple tool, possibly separate from OpenCPN, which could do this? It could run in the background, similar to the Linux, OSX or Windows' update managers, and check to see if there are any new updates available. My programming days are long past, but I'd help out any way I could as I had time.
__________________
Cap'n Jon (KB1HTW)
S/V Beausoleil -1979 Formosa 51 Ketch
"If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." - Captain Ron
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 15:02   #330
Registered User
 
Psyches's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Posts: 187
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
I just found this pdf document when searching the web for information about automatic chart synchronization - i.e., automatically downloading new/updated NOAA ENC/RNC charts.

Here's a snippet from the introduction:

NOAA has developed a hardware and file infrastructure which allows third parties to build software that can automate the downloading of the current versions of NOAA’s digital nautical charts. The distribution infrastructure consists of three components: Three geographically separated and mirrored Web servers with high bandwidth connections to the internet; static links to NOAA chart files; and two eXtensible Markup Language (.XML) product catalogs—one for Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) and one for Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs). The product catalogs contain chart metadata, release dates and URL addresses of the static links for
downloading the charts.

Software applications can be developed that read the .XML product catalog files to determine the current status of charts available. This can be compared to the status of charts on a mariner’s system, and needed updates automatically determined for download to the mariner’s computer.


Any interest in a simple tool, possibly separate from OpenCPN, which could do this? It could run in the background, similar to the Linux, OSX or Windows' update managers, and check to see if there are any new updates available. My programming days are long past, but I'd help out any way I could as I had time.
Yes this idea is what got me involved in coding for the project. But other ideas came up and unfortunately I haven't had time to finish and probably won't for the forseeable future. Still sounds like a great idea though.

Mark
__________________

__________________
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet anothr of my stupid requests Little Otter Multihull Sailboats 2 30-06-2008 00:29
Any requests for pics at Strictly Sail Oakland? Redbull addict Monohull Sailboats 0 30-03-2007 19:33
Capt.Jack requests permission to come aboard canatc1 Meets & Greets 8 10-04-2006 17:54


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.