Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18   #316

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Two new issues open up now:

- there might be a need for "Delete <ALL> Tracks"
- there might be a need to limit the track length - perhaps stop/restart at midnight, or at nearest 8 bells if >10000 points?

Any opinions?

Piotr
re: Delete all, I completely agree...it's needed.
re: track length limit - I vote "maybe". Perhaps configurable?

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40   #317

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Pjotr, I'm back at the ranch, time to try the patches. Problem is there's so many of them I'm having a hard time getting them in the right order etc. Are you going to issue a cumulative patch? Can they be applied singularly or does it have to be in the correct order?

Thanks for your attention
Old 05-03-2010, 14:11   #318

Boat: Wasa 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
re: Delete all, I completely agree...it's needed.
re: track length limit - I vote "maybe". Perhaps configurable?

Mark
Configurable
+1

I like to be able to plot the full track of a multiday race or the whole track of a vacation. The time it takes is not an issue then - but it is while navigating- thus configurable.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:24   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
time to try the patches
I put the Forums - Post 414957">patch-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-summary in the thread on colors & segments, i.e. the latest patch. Let us continue the technical discussion there.

Pioitr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:36   #320

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I have added a new feature request and bug report.

The feature is to have continuously updating cursor position (as in under mouse pointer) which saves all the clicking around when trying to find a lat/long.
OpenCPN already has this feature. As I move the cursor the "cursor position" in the status bar is continuously updated, although, with a about one second delay.
The question is.....why isn't this feature working on your box??

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:57   #321

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
You're absolutely correct, I'd never noticed.. Probably because the delay is slightly above my attention span of 600 ms, I just kept clicking and clicking
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03   #322
EOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
OpenCPN already has this feature. As I move the cursor the "cursor position" in the status bar is continuously updated, although, with a about one second delay.
The question is.....why isn't this feature working on your box??

Thomas
I notice the delay is much larger on Linux than on Windows?! Any idea to short it on Linux?
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38   #323

Possible to change the "measure" feature?

I'd really like to be able to measure in feet, or at least to another decimal place in NM. As it is implemented (to two decimal places) the measure changes only every 60 feet. Another decimal place would reduce this to 6 feet which would be precise enough for my purpose, as it would be within the margin of error of my GPS.

I have figured out how to calculate where my anchor is and would like to drop a waypoint on it to set an drag alarm.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 14:11   #324

Precise measurements and coordinate formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I'd really like to be able to measure in feet, or at least to another decimal place in NM. As it is implemented (to two decimal places) the measure changes only every 60 feet. Another decimal place would reduce this to 6 feet which would be precise enough for my purpose, as it would be within the margin of error of my GPS.
I vote +1 for this, especially in the context of anchor watch. In my patch kit #4 (anchor watch) I included modification to the measure tool, giving meters for distances below 0.1 nm. It is available Forums - Post 409756">here.

Another request is for allowing multiple coordinate formats in the Mark Properties dialog, so I could copy/paste coordinates from many sources. I support this request in the usual way in a separate thread multiple coordinate formats.

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16   #325

I'd vote for the anchor alarm as well - would be real nice.
I've got another one...would it be possible to add an ETA field in the "route properties" page? When you are planning a route it would be nice to be able to put in a start time and then be able to see at which time you arrive at each waypoint, without having to continuously add your ETE to the start time...especially if you a looking to arrive somewhere at a specific tide or current state.
Thanks, and great work by the way!
sapster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41   #326

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
COG/SOG Averaging

Just ran up from Trinidad to Barbados with a new West Marine AIS transponder and OpenCPN, and have discovered that the GPS in the transponder does no averaging for SOG and COG, so the OpenCPN display jumps around +/- one knot and ten degrees. This also makes the CPA calculation pretty jittery. Is there any way to smooth out the SOG and COG with a 10 or 20 data point rolling average??

I plan on going after WMP to see if they can put the averaging in the transponder, because any data the transponder broadcasts is going to show my course and speed jumping around like a drunken monkey, but the fix may take a while because of FCC approvals.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
the GPS in the transponder does no averaging for SOG and COG, so the OpenCPN display jumps around +/- one knot and ten degrees.
I had the same experience with a COMAR Class B transponder. For a quick fix in chartplotting one might use PolarCOM, which does the COG/SOG dampening, but this will not affect the broadcasts...
Old 13-03-2010, 05:33   #328

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
My $25 USB GPS puck also doesn't have internal dampening, so there's another class of OpenCPN users who would benefit from a rolling average for SOG/COG. I looked at my Garmin 128 GPS, and its set for a 20 second average, which seems to smooth out most of the fluctuations.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 15:09   #329

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
NOAA Automated Distribution Infrastructure for ENC/RNC Charts

I just found this pdf document when searching the web for information about automatic chart synchronization - i.e., automatically downloading new/updated NOAA ENC/RNC charts.

Here's a snippet from the introduction:

NOAA has developed a hardware and file infrastructure which allows third parties to build software that can automate the downloading of the current versions of NOAA’s digital nautical charts. The distribution infrastructure consists of three components: Three geographically separated and mirrored Web servers with high bandwidth connections to the internet; static links to NOAA chart files; and two eXtensible Markup Language (.XML) product catalogs—one for Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) and one for Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs). The product catalogs contain chart metadata, release dates and URL addresses of the static links for
downloading the charts.

Software applications can be developed that read the .XML product catalog files to determine the current status of charts available. This can be compared to the status of charts on a mariner’s system, and needed updates automatically determined for download to the mariner’s computer.

Any interest in a simple tool, possibly separate from OpenCPN, which could do this? It could run in the background, similar to the Linux, OSX or Windows' update managers, and check to see if there are any new updates available. My programming days are long past, but I'd help out any way I could as I had time.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 14:02   #330

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
I just found this pdf document when searching the web for information about automatic chart synchronization - i.e., automatically downloading new/updated NOAA ENC/RNC charts.

Here's a snippet from the introduction:

NOAA has developed a hardware and file infrastructure which allows third parties to build software that can automate the downloading of the current versions of NOAA’s digital nautical charts. The distribution infrastructure consists of three components: Three geographically separated and mirrored Web servers with high bandwidth connections to the internet; static links to NOAA chart files; and two eXtensible Markup Language (.XML) product catalogs—one for Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) and one for Raster Navigational Charts (RNCs). The product catalogs contain chart metadata, release dates and URL addresses of the static links for
downloading the charts.

Software applications can be developed that read the .XML product catalog files to determine the current status of charts available. This can be compared to the status of charts on a mariner’s system, and needed updates automatically determined for download to the mariner’s computer.

Any interest in a simple tool, possibly separate from OpenCPN, which could do this? It could run in the background, similar to the Linux, OSX or Windows' update managers, and check to see if there are any new updates available. My programming days are long past, but I'd help out any way I could as I had time.
Yes this idea is what got me involved in coding for the project. But other ideas came up and unfortunately I haven't had time to finish and probably won't for the forseeable future. Still sounds like a great idea though.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote