Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 17:22   #2896

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel
Re: Feature Requests

Yes, openGL is enabled. I've tried it both ways.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 17:23   #2897

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Yes, openGL is enabled. I've tried it both ways. No scrolling.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:57   #2898

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Is there a way to have the updates for squidd.io happen in the background? Maybe a cronjob?

I use OpenCPN periodically and on Saturday I started it up and it is still receiving squidd.io updates. I'm not against the updates, but the popup window keeps stealing focus from anything else I want to do. I can't plot a route, I can't compose an email without mistyping words. The pop-up provides no value (maybe a small text box in the squidd.io window showing updates progressing would work).

Thanks,

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 02:17   #2899

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean you need to read the documentation for how to control squiddio
1 If the pluggin is enable. Right click and pick the appropriate command to show or hide squiddio destination points
2 enable or disable the plugin under options

Read the manual
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 15:47   #2900

When making a serial connection for a barometer to show in Dashboard and Plots plugins the MDA sentence works fine but the XDR does not, ie

$WIXDR,P,1.01254,B,BARO,*5D

$WIMDA,29.900,I,1.01254,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*6C

I think these are both valid formats; they both work, for example, in Expedition and Coastal Explorer, so the request is that at some point we learn why this XDR does not work in OpenCPN.

Since the MDA does work, this is low priority, but the MDA is obsolete as of 2009, so the general sensor input XDR would be preferred.

Thanks, --david
DavidBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 19:27   #2901

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

I've now made a TON of mbTiles for SE Asia, covering much of the coastlines in ArcGIS, GE, Bing, CMap, & Navionics. Now I'm trying to use these with OpenCPN.

At present, OpenCPN wakes up with ALL mbTiles active. This is a bit ridiculous when several are loaded for the same area, as the user doesn't know which one they're looking at until they turn them all off. Also, displaying mbTiles can put a considerable load on the graphics system, making OpenCPN take even longer to wake up (I'm currently running ~100 secs on an i7 4x w/16GB & SSD).

I'd like to request that mbTiles wake up (when initially loaded, when a chart-group containing mbTiles is selected, & especially when OpenCPN wakes up) turned OFF, so the user can turn them on (individually) as needed. Is this reasonable?

Also, having used OpenCPN for many years (applause for all responsible!) I've come to like the way the "piano keys" work. mbTiles breaks this paradigm, presumably because mbTiles can be transparent. Perhaps so, but for those (many) of us using mbTiles that have NO transparency, I'd like to request a switch we can throw to make mbTiles work the same as other chart types (KAPs, CM93). That is, clicking a chart brings it to the foreground. If you're looking at an mbTile & click CM93, what you get is your CM93 charts displayed instead of todays ... no change.

Having a user switch would allow those with transparent mbTiles to use them as today, while also allowing those of us with only opaque charts to have the look & feel that we've become used to. Again, is this reasonable?
Old 28-07-2019, 19:58   #2902

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
I've now made a TON of mbTiles for SE Asia, covering much of the coastlines in ArcGIS, GE, Bing, CMap, & Navionics. Now I'm trying to use these with OpenCPN.

At present, OpenCPN wakes up with ALL mbTiles active. This is a bit ridiculous when several are loaded for the same area, as the user doesn't know which one they're looking at until they turn them all off. Also, displaying mbTiles can put a considerable load on the graphics system, making OpenCPN take even longer to wake up (I'm currently running ~100 secs on an i7 4x w/16GB & SSD).

I'd like to request that mbTiles wake up (when initially loaded, when a chart-group containing mbTiles is selected, & especially when OpenCPN wakes up) turned OFF, so the user can turn them on (individually) as needed. Is this reasonable?

Also, having used OpenCPN for many years (applause for all responsible!) I've come to like the way the "piano keys" work. mbTiles breaks this paradigm, presumably because mbTiles can be transparent. Perhaps so, but for those (many) of us using mbTiles that have NO transparency, I'd like to request a switch we can throw to make mbTiles work the same as other chart types (KAPs, CM93). That is, clicking a chart brings it to the foreground. If you're looking at an mbTile & click CM93, what you get is your CM93 charts displayed instead of todays ... no change.

Having a user switch would allow those with transparent mbTiles to use them as today, while also allowing those of us with only opaque charts to have the look & feel that we've become used to. Again, is this reasonable?
John's comments/ requests are spot on. It seems, since he has made these comments previously, you are ignoring him,

Cut it out!

Keep the OpenCPN chart paradigm consistent, make MBtiles fit what we re used to, Please!
Old 28-07-2019, 20:15   #2903

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

I agree with Jon and wingssail. Hard to work when there is multiple mbtiles charts for the same area.

Like Jon I have made a ton of mbtiles charts of the Caribbean using Sat2Chart and SasPlanet (you forgot to mention how you created them Jon). They can be accessed here:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahv3fXEZ5SzkjRTcnfNuiHWgtQKa
Old 28-07-2019, 23:22   #2904

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:

Jon .. please put in the tracker and we will vote for it!

Thanks, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 00:43   #2905
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Want to remind you that Dave argued that mbTiles are not charts in the strict sense but a complement and therefore get a different treatment.

Reason why transparency makes sense for tiles and other overlays, but not for charts.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 00:57   #2906

Quote:

The problem with the large number of mbtiles' performance will be solved by the return of the work algorithm, by analogy with KAP raster maps, i.e. the map scale will be taken into account and the program will display not everything in a row as it is now but the desired layer on the desired scale.

This was done during beta testing of version 5 and it worked well, but it didn’t work if someone wanted to work in combination with a raster and a vector.

I think we need the implementation of mbtiles display algorithm templates for groups of maps.
Create a group of cards with mbtiles and apply a template with the specified parameters to it. for example, the scale of the sheets as previously taken into account.
This source can be completely called a map. Many mobile apps use mbtiles as source offline maps!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 03:50   #2907

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Want to remind you that Dave argued that mbTiles are not charts in the strict sense but a complement and therefore get a different treatment.

Reason why transparency makes sense for tiles and other overlays, but not for charts.
I guess it depends on your definition of "chart". Are KAPs "charts"? Certainly not in the strictest sense, but out here they're sure a lot more accurate than CM93, & the mbTiles made from SAS & Sat2Chart look to be just as well georeferenced.

IMO, mbTiles are just as much charts as KAPs are, & should be treated the same. Out here in SE Asia, we use whatever we can get (or in my case, what I make). I trust both my KAPs & my mbTiles MUCH more than I trust my Official CM93 Charts (or any other commercial charts out here). Yes, all of these are complementing each other, but that doesn't mean that they should be treated differently.

Transparency only makes sense if your underlying nautical charts are perfect, or nearly so. While that may be true on the US east coast, or much of Europe, it certainly isn't true for SE Asia. Here, transparency makes no sense because our "charts" & satellite imagery don't agree with each other. And we've learned to trust our satellite imagery much more than our charts.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:44   #2908

OK, I've now created a new Feature Request in Flyspray for the above:
FS#2601 - Switch for mbTiles piano keys, & mbTiles wake up OFF
Old 11-08-2019, 22:52   #2909

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
OK, I've now created a new Feature Request in Flyspray for the above:
FS#2601 - Switch for mbTiles piano keys, & mbTiles wake up OFF

Jon, thanks for not giving up on this!

correct link to Flyspray #2601, for easy voting: https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2601
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 14:58   #2910

Is there a way to add a column in the Routes and Marks manager to use the current as predicted in the Harmonic file and make use of it to predict ETA for a certain route? This would be appreciated. Thanks.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote