Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-01-2010, 15:23   #256

Boat: Svendborg Senior DEN 38 Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Ehem.. that is a wiki filter, and it's got a WYSIWYG interface?
I don't think wysiwig interfaces works with wiki formatting, unfortunately.

Old 18-01-2010, 15:29   #257
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredna View Post
I don't think wysiwig interfaces works with wiki formatting, unfortunately.
Oh ok, it's not a true wiki in that sense, but it does use a wiki module.

Quote:
Having thought for a while that I could possibly contribute a bit to opencpn, I dived into the code today, with the goal of making a simple change: allowing for a more finegrained viewport control.
Sounds fantastic I think Dave is on hols, he'll probably decide on that?

Old 21-01-2010, 08:22   #258

Hi all,

Currently I'm experimenting with openCPN as a replacement for SOB. Seems good to me at present. There are a few features I think would be valuable...

* Chart quilting option. Particularly to get around the problem with harbour chart insets resulting in rendering for much of the chart window area being blank.
* Lights animation option

Some optimisations for small screens
* Variable size toolbar option - default toolbar is huge when running on a screen only 480 or 600 pixels deep.
* Fix text scaling in status bar. Under linux the text scales down MUCH too quickly as the status bar boxes reduce in size, so at small window sizes it is totally unreadable.
* Option to remove the chartstack bar. Perhaps remove the bar automatically when only one chart is available.

Some AIS features
* Option to extend vectored course lines to TCA, rather than fixed time. Possibly only for CPA below a certain threshold, or TCA within certain period. Vectors extended to CPA is the most useful feature of NavMonPC's AIS screen.

Vector chart management features
* Make Mariners Custom filter box ordered alphabetically
* And also if possible make it searchable with key presses

General navigation and rendering
* Introduce a quick depth lookup on the right-click menu?
* Possibly... show a warning on this menu when safety depths selected don't match charted depth lines available on CM93
* Allow diagonal chart scrolling as well as up/down left/right when corner areas are clicked

Future dev... biggies
* The ability to have configurable NavMonPC-style info guages/dials would be a real boon

All in all at the moment though, I am very impressed and can't wait to try the system out for real, particularly interoperating with Raymarine GPS, plotter and instruments.

Regards,

Mike M.
Old 23-01-2010, 14:12   #259

Need RMB and BWC NMEA messages

In order for the next waypoint to appear on my Raytheon RL70 screen textually and as a plotted location, I apparently need both the RMB and BWC messages. I have used Seaclear's capability to send one or a combination of messages to the radar and plotter via Seatalk thru Raymarine's converter box and those two work. Strangely, the same message does not always create the same result on the 620 plotter and the radar....I couldn't explain why.

Great program Dave....I'm anxious to use it full time vice Seaclear.

Thanks, Bruce
Old 25-01-2010, 11:53   #260

Boat: Ovni 345
Hello,

Is there a possibilty to open a mapmedia map from maxsea with opencpn ?

Do you plan to make a routing weather system like in Maxsea ?

Thanks
Old 26-01-2010, 10:05   #261

Route management GUI

What do you think of this:

This implements something I think is a very valuable addition to openCPN, namely graphical route management. Allmost all of it is implemented here, I have a few glitches left before I will show the patch, so this is more a question if anyone else find this a good idea, and if you have suggestions/questions.

Before reading on, ask yourself: Do you understand this dialog, the purpose of each element (the list and buttons)?

The most advanced element is the first column in the list, which displays an eye if a route is visible. You can click the column for a route to toggle visibility, or ctrl+click to make it exclusively visible. (I have partially implemented route visibility toggling, still missing to make invisible objects non-selectable, but that is trivial)

The buttons should be selfexplanatory, they operate on the selected route except for the "import" button, which lets you import gpx files (does not currently allow filtering gpx data to import only routes, but that is trivial to implement)

The "Zoom to" button would make the entire route visible in the chart window, and should only be enabled if follow mode is off (or...? )

The "Activate" button will make the route active, if it is not visible it will be made so, and zoom to the route.

If you do not see the use for this, here is my case:
I am a costal sailor, and I use the same routes quite often. For example every wednessday I go sailing an evening match, one of 7 different courses. Depending on the wind, we may agree to reverse a course. I also go to the same destinations regularly on weekend or day trips. Having those routes easily available will be a nice aid for planning and analysis.

So, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	routemanagerdialog.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	12823  
Old 26-01-2010, 10:09   #262
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice feature, and respect for actually making it happen!

How difficult would be an implementation of columns for route length / number of waypoints that sort of thing?
Old 26-01-2010, 10:14   #263

Quote:
Nice feature, and respect for actually making it happen!

How difficult would be an implementation of columns for route length / number of waypoints that sort of thing?
Very trivial. Another option would be a tooltip containing extra information about the route (the list could become quite wide with many columns)

Anders
Old 26-01-2010, 12:09   #264

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fblc View Post
Hello,

Is there a possibilty to open a mapmedia map from maxsea with opencpn ?

Do you plan to make a routing weather system like in Maxsea ?

Thanks
Mapmedias .map charts are not supported. For supported chart formats check this wiki page.

Built in weather routing has not been discussed much in this forum and it is probably fair to say, that it's not high on the list of future developments.

Thomas
Old 26-01-2010, 12:12   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very trivial. Another option would be a tooltip containing extra information about the route (the list could become quite wide with many columns)

Anders
The tooltip has been fantastised about in some feature request list ages ago
Old 26-01-2010, 12:38   #266

Quote:
The tooltip has been fantastised about in some feature request list ages ago
I looked at it, and the prognosis for creating tooltips for list items are not good with wxwidgets, there is no appearent events or functions provided to facilitate this, neither in v.2.8 nor in the current trunk (wxwidgets 2.9 to come).

That means that I would have to do some hocus pocus with mouse tracking and timers -- possible but tedious, although I may give it a try.

Can you remember what tooltips usage was fantasized about? Can I find it in this forum?

Anders
Old 26-01-2010, 12:42   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nono, I meant to sea in the list of feature requests, people were requesting to have ->tooltips of routes<-
Old 26-01-2010, 13:26   #268
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Route Management

Anders,

I like it. A great start, and very useful with only what you got.

The additional columns would be nice, and yes, it could be very wide. This is another place where we need options to choose what columns we want to see. And possibly what units of measure, etc.

New features: Copy button. Option inside properties to split route, append route. Rename (or maybe that's already there in properties?)

Dang work is interrupting, so I gotta run. I may add some more ideas this evening.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 14:26   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Anders,

I like it. A great start, and very useful with only what you got.

Quote:
The additional columns would be nice, and yes, it could be very wide. This is another place where we need options to choose what columns we want to see. And possibly what units of measure, etc.
Measures are seleted globally (imo, we need an option to combine nm with meters, but that is ot here).

Selectable columns? Mh, I believe more in good defaults. Given I can produce a functional tooltip, I think not needing to scroll is much better.

Quote:
New features: Copy button. Option inside properties to split route, append route. Rename (or maybe that's already there in properties?)
I am open for adding a copy button, copying a route can be usefull.

Splitting a route requires the waypoints, so that is better placed in the route properties.

Append/join could be a possible action here, but requires some consideration - what are the requirements for a route being appendable to another (how far can they be apart)? Maybe this is better suited for editing directly in the chart, if a route point is made near an end of another route a join could be suggested?

Rename is possible in the route properties dialog, and since wxwidgets does not allow to edit columns other than the first at current, I will skip that for now. It can be added when wxwidgets supports that...

Anders
Old 26-01-2010, 16:10   #270

Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
Anders,

Nice job!

I assume that the properties button in your dialog brings up the route properties dialog for the selected route. If this is so then there is no needed to repeat the same information that is in the properties dialog in your route management dialog. It looks like that between the route properties dialog, on chart route editing, and your new route management dialog OpenCPN has Mercator routing covered. I still believe that Great Circle routing needs to be added to support long distance cruisers. But that implementation is down at the route properties level and should not impact your management dialog.

Best regards,

Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: