Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 15:36   #2656
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 555
Re: Feature Requests

Terry
Here is a catamaran icon, if you like to use it.
Best Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ownship.png
Views:	32
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	173471  
__________________

P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:46   #2657
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,391
Re: Feature Requests

P_dub, my statement from before does not change. I do not know how the android is configured, however the ship icon is located here This ..\Android\data\org.opencpn.opencpn\files\uidata\t oolicons_traditional.png
and is the location for the icons used. I see no usericon directory in the android system, however you could try to make one or you could try to insert your special icon into that image file in exactly the same location.
__________________

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:10   #2658
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 555
Re: Feature Requests

It does not work like you said.
Best Regards.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 22:42   #2659
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,594
Re: Feature Requests

It would be really cool if the user could select Great Circle instead of Rhumb Line for the "Navigate to here" function and see GC distance, departure, vertex, all that stuff, and also the Navigate To Here route drawn as a Great Circle on the chart. Also it would be great to be able to specify beginning and end of a route or leg of a route and the longitudes of the GC waypoints, and have OCPN create a Great Circle route and then divide it up into rhumb lines between the waypoints when creating a route.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 00:46   #2660
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 146
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
It would be really cool if the user could select Great Circle instead of Rhumb Line for the "Navigate to here" function and see GC distance, departure, vertex, all that stuff, and also the Navigate To Here route drawn as a Great Circle on the chart. Also it would be great to be able to specify beginning and end of a route or leg of a route and the longitudes of the GC waypoints, and have OCPN create a Great Circle route and then divide it up into rhumb lines between the waypoints when creating a route.
Why would this be useful? It is already a function of route planning.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:33   #2661
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,594
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Why would this be useful? It is already a function of route planning.

Don't see it. I select a place on the chart and select "Navigate to Here" and all I get is a rhumb like and a rhumb line temporary route. "Properties" gives me no options for GC, either. I would need to manually calculate the GC waypoints or use some other tool to do it for me. I just think it would be a nice feature, admittedly of little use to sailing yachts. On a ship I can of course get the list of waypoints from the 2/M and enter them, but I can't be bothered.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:16   #2662
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 338
Re: Feature Requests

in TimeZero also!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tzgoto.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	173863  
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:33   #2663
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 146
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Don't see it. I select a place on the chart and select "Navigate to Here" and all I get is a rhumb like and a rhumb line temporary route. "Properties" gives me no options for GC, either. I would need to manually calculate the GC waypoints or use some other tool to do it for me. I just think it would be a nice feature, admittedly of little use to sailing yachts. On a ship I can of course get the list of waypoints from the 2/M and enter them, but I can't be bothered.
OCPN will do this. Create a route by selecting the icon (5th from the left) or Ctrl+R. Any 2 points on the route that are a suitably long distance apart will give you the option (pop up menu) to select a GC Route. If you select this then that part of the route will be segmented with WP's.

Still unsure as to your need, unless sailing by compass or wind-vane, a GPS sails a GC route by default.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:01   #2664
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,594
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
OCPN will do this. Create a route by selecting the icon (5th from the left) or Ctrl+R. Any 2 points on the route that are a suitably long distance apart will give you the option (pop up menu) to select a GC Route. If you select this then that part of the route will be segmented with WP's.

Still unsure as to your need, unless sailing by compass or wind-vane, a GPS sails a GC route by default.

Not using it to steer. Redundant official type accepted ECDIS on the bridge. OCPN is running on my personal laptop in my room. I'm the Bosun so I don't have to steer LOL. Don't have to stand a watch. Just monitoring our progress and sending occasional screenshots home to GF. We are enroute Port Hueneme to Gamagori. Definitely long enough for GC to be advantageous and as a matter of fact our route is a GC as you can see. Screenshot attached. Shows recent and current track, and the "Navigate to Here" temporary route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN HERE to Japan 2018-07-19 06-27-17.png
Views:	44
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	173867  
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 02:06   #2665
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 146
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Not using it to steer. Redundant official type accepted ECDIS on the bridge. OCPN is running on my personal laptop in my room. I'm the Bosun so I don't have to steer LOL. Don't have to stand a watch. Just monitoring our progress and sending occasional screenshots home to GF. We are enroute Port Hueneme to Gamagori. Definitely long enough for GC to be advantageous and as a matter of fact our route is a GC as you can see. Screenshot attached. Shows recent and current track, and the "Navigate to Here" temporary route.
Here is an example using "Create Route" using wp's instead of "Navigate to Here".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	173893   Click image for larger version

Name:	GC2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	173894  

Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 04:15   #2666
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ENA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,361
Re: Feature Requests

The Route plugin has much more support for gc:s than the built in std features.
Well worth a try if you want more details.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 18:03   #2667
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Boston
Boat: Wellcraft, St. Tropez 3200, 32 ft
Posts: 2
Re: Feature Requests

First off, let me say that I love OpenCPN - so a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to it in any way.

I want to be able to use OpenCPN to do route planning at home on my desktop PC, then bring a printout (or electronic file, or screenshot, etc.) of my route and waypoints to my boat and manually enter them into my GPS, which is an old-school Garmin GPSMap 210. (yes yes, very old, I know, but it is my backup GPS!)

The problem I'm having is that OpenCPN (as of now, v4.8.6) only seems to show me or print 1-digit decimal place on for the minutes of the lat & long when displayed as "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" which is why my GPS takes. My GPS requires 3 digits on the Decimal Minutes, as does my sanity and well-being. Because, in Boston area waters and where I boat, a 3 meter difference either way is a big deal and can mean fouled running gear, so I don't buy the argument that seems to have been made in other posts here that it is "good enough."

Sure, I could go into each properties box where there are more digits for each waypoint's minutes, and copy and paste them into a spreadsheet, but that's a pain, and defeats the time-saving purpose of using OpenCPN in the first place. :-/

Is there any way you'd consider giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!

Thank you!
Aquasition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 20:20   #2668
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 338
Re: Feature Requests

Suggestions for the tested function "multi canvas"
Now it is activated in the settings. This is not very convenient! This function should be on hand for example in the context menu. You also need a horizontal canvas separation, for example a radar and two canvases with a map.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:04   #2669
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 2,213
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquasition View Post
I want to be able to use OpenCPN to do route planning at home on my desktop PC, then bring a printout (or electronic file, or screenshot, etc.) of my route and waypoints to my boat and manually enter them into my GPS, which is an old-school Garmin GPSMap 210. (yes yes, very old, I know, but it is my backup GPS!)
You haven't considered transfer the route from OCPN to your Garmin via a serial connection, have you? In that case all decimals would be transferred. (http://static.garmin.com/pumac/130_OwnersManual.pdf page 52)
Quote:
Is there any way you'd consider giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!
No, there's no user setting to change precision for the route print. By coding it would be easy but the developer has used low precision for this. Probably for a good reason I can't figure out. Anyone else??
If the code is changed a printout could look like the attached shot.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route_print_test.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	176439  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:33   #2670
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,251
Re: Feature Requests

As Hakan says, it is a simple change. I see no reason not to show full precision in the route properties waypoint list table.

Perhaps it was originally done to preserve screen space on small devices?

Anyone recall?

Dave
__________________

bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet anothr of my stupid requests Little Otter Multihull Sailboats 2 29-06-2008 23:29
Any requests for pics at Strictly Sail Oakland? Redbull addict Monohull Sailboats 0 30-03-2007 18:33
Capt.Jack requests permission to come aboard canatc1 Meets & Greets 8 10-04-2006 16:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.