Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 03:17   #2101

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
In v4.2 and 4.4, there is a bug that causes the program to hang if you have OpenGL enabled and charts located anywhere other than the default folder. So my first advice is to only put charts in the default location, and don't try to point OpenCPN to any alternate locations.

My second advice is to vote for my bug report so this will get a higher priority to get fixed:

FS#2141 : OpenGL breaks when alternate chart directory is used

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2188601
I should add that in the second link Dave describes a workaround that allows you to use alternate chart locations. It involves manually editing opencpn.ini.

But if you have OpenGL activated, you must not "point" the program at any directories through the settings dialog. That will corrupt the .ini file and require manual editing again.

Until this bug is fixed in v4.2 and v4.4, I am using v4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Use the integrated Chart Downloader, it does all the download, unpacking and configuration for you. Can you also post a link to the part of the manual containing pictures of stuff that does not exist in the program so we can fix it?

Pavel
FWIW, the chartloader plugin does not overcome the bug that I described. All the plugin does is make downloading the charts a little easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Have you had a look at the opencpn log-file?
I'm fairly sure that the key to solving your problems are revealed in that file.
Press the Tool Bar Button that looks like a blue book with a "?". The dialog that pops up will contain info were you will find the log file on your system.

If you can't find the solution yourself by reading the log-file, please publish an excerpt, containing a full session where you try to load your charts, here in this forum.

/Thomas
FWIW, in my prior testing the log file did not show any reports of the bug that I described.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:42   #2102

Boat: Amel Sharki

RD,
I couldn't find any problem using Mac OS X, compiled OpenCPN 4.4.5 with Xcode8, wxWidgets 3.1.1 and SDK 10.12. Is it only a problem for Windows?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40   #2103

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I've used the integrated loader and also done it manually. none worked
thanks for the suggestion
Then we definitely need to see your logfile. There are tens of thousands of OpenCPN users out there obviously seeing their charts, so I suppose we would already know if there was some general problem...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:50   #2104

Quote:

FWIW, the chartloader plugin does not overcome the bug that I described. All the plugin does is make downloading the charts a little easier.

FWIW, in my prior testing the log file did not show any reports of the bug that I described.
Isn't what you describe in that bug report a problem only if you use relative paths to chart directories and as such completely irrelevant to normal non-portable OpenCPN installations where absolute paths are always used? Or do I understand it wrong?

Pavel
Old 09-09-2016, 06:18   #2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Thanks for your kind help.
Quote:
Isn't what you describe in that bug report a problem only if you use relative paths to chart directories and as such completely irrelevant to normal non-portable OpenCPN installations where absolute paths are always used? Or do I understand it wrong?

Pavel
No, that's not accurate.

When you use the settings dialog to "point to a chart directory," v4.2 and 4.4 write that directory into opencpn.ini as a relative path. On versions 4.2 and 4.4 , this is done by default, with no user intervention (try pointing to a new directory, then check your opencpn.in file and you'll see it). Version 4.0 wrote an absolute path to the .ini file by default.

The workaround is to manually edit the .ini file to use the absolute path.

This has all been verified by Dave, as documented in the messages that I linked.

The thousands of people who are not having a problem are either keeping their charts in the default directory, or have OpenGL deactivated. Or, more likely, the chart directories were written to the .ini file as absolute paths under a prior version and were not changed since doing the upgrade. But if you make a directory change in the settings dialog in v4.2 or v4.4, you are likely to see the bug if you have OpenGL activated.

This bug is more likely to affect new users (who are setting up their chart directories for the first time) than upgrading users (who may have set up their directories under a prior version). That may be why none of you are seeing it, while the newcomers are.

I run Windows, and cannot verify whether this bug happens under MacOS or Linux.

Please vote to have this bug fixed. It totally interferes with using OpenCPN in portable mode, which is very important to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:22   #2106

Quote:
No, that's not accurate.

When you use the settings dialog to "point to a chart directory," v4.2 and 4.4 write that directory into opencpn.ini as a relative path. On versions 4.2 and 4.4 , this is done by default, with no user intervention (try pointing to a new directory, then check your opencpn.in file and you'll see it). Version 4.0 wrote an absolute path to the .ini file by default.

The workaround is to manually edit the .ini file to use the absolute path.

This has all been verified by Dave, as documented in the messages that I linked.

The thousands of people who are not having a problem are either keeping their charts in the default directory, or have OpenGL deactivated. Or, more likely, the chart directories were written to the .ini file as absolute paths under a prior version and were not changed since doing the upgrade. But if you make a directory change in the settings dialog in v4.2 or v4.4, you are likely to see the bug if you have OpenGL activated.

I run Windows, and cannot verify whether this bug happens under MacOS or Linux.

Please vote to have this bug fixed. It totally interferes with using OpenCPN in portable mode, which is very important to me.
RD...
That's why I was asking, what you describe is simply NOT happening for me...

Pavel
Old 09-09-2016, 06:24   #2107

Quote:
RD...
That's why I was asking, what you describe is simply NOT happening for me...

Pavel
Try making a change to your chart directories, and turning on OpenGL. You will see it if you are running Windows.

This bug is more likely to affect new users (who are setting up their chart directories for the first time) than upgrading users (who may have set up their directories under a prior version). That may be why none of you are seeing it, while the newcomers are.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:32   #2108

RD...
No, sorry, don't see it on Windows neither. All the path saved to the .ini file are absolute, no freezing. FWIW I did this operation probably hundreds of times during 4.2/4.4 beta cycle and never seen what you describe.
I never use portable mode though.

Pavel
Old 09-09-2016, 06:39   #2109

Quote:
RD...
No, sorry, don't see it on Windows neither. All the path saved to the .ini file are absolute, no freezing. FWIW I did this operation probably hundreds of times during 4.2/4.4 beta cycle and never seen what you describe.
I never use portable mode though.

Pavel
Not sure what to say about this. Dave replicated the problem.

I did a fresh install and replicated the problem. I suggest that you move your opencpn.ini file out of the directory and launch the program (to create a fresh .ini file). Then go in and create a new chart directory pointer to a different location, and turn on OpenGL. In that case, you should see the issue.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:45   #2110

RD...
Are you really, really sure that you are able to reproduce this in a normal NON-PORTABLE mode (which NEVER stores relative paths to the INI file on any platform on my machines)?
I (and as I understand Dave's comment you mention, he as well) am able to reproduce it ONLY in portable mode. That of course also explains why nobody but you keeps reporting it - the number of portable mode users is a fraction of the userbase...
I am willing to fix this, but need to be sure I understand what the problem you see exactly is.

Pavel
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15   #2111

Quote:
RD...
Are you really, really sure that you are able to reproduce this in a normal NON-PORTABLE mode (which NEVER stores relative paths to the INI file on any platform on my machines)?
I (and as I understand Dave's comment you mention, he as well) am able to reproduce it ONLY in portable mode. That of course also explains why nobody but you keeps reporting it - the number of portable mode users is a fraction of the userbase...
I am willing to fix this, but need to be sure I understand what the problem you see exactly is.

Pavel
I am 100% sure that I was not running in portable mode. I only use that on my boat tablets, not on my computers at home.

A couple months ago I purchased a brand new laptop for home use and did a complete virgin install of OpenCPN 4.4 onto it using all default settings. The install created a "charts" folder somewhere on the computer (can't remember now). Putting charts into that folder worked fine. But moving the charts somewhere else and pointing to the new location through the settings menu caused the same bug to happen on that computer if I had OpenGL activated.

Furthermore, I see no mention from Dave that he tested portable mode. As far as I can see from his post, he replicated the problem on a typical C: drive install. Perhaps he can clarify for us.

If you are unable to replicate the problem, then there must be some other variable that is different for your setup. Maybe a different Windows version?
Old 09-09-2016, 18:19   #2112
Marine Service Provider

Pavel/Rd...

Regarding OpenGL problems with chart directories:

Tested on Windows, in portable mode.

1. There is clearly a problem with OpenGL if the config file references a chart directory specified in relative terms. Doesn't hang, but also doesn't display anything. This regression should be easy to find with get bisect.

However...
2. In standard non-portable mode, I can see no program path that will add relative paths to the config file.

Here is some code, for example:
Code:
void options::AddChartDir(const wxString& dir) {
  wxFileName dirname = wxFileName(dir);
  pInit_Chart_Dir->Empty();

if (g_bportable) {
    wxFileName f(dir);
    f.MakeRelativeTo(g_Platform->GetHomeDir());
    pActiveChartsList->Append(f.GetFullPath());
  } else {
    pInit_Chart_Dir->Append(dirname.GetPath());
    pActiveChartsList->Append(dir);
  }

k_charts |= CHANGE_CHARTS;

pScanCheckBox->Disable();
}
So, I tentatively conclude that this relates to portable mode only. But I will listen to alternate arguments and theories.

RD, can you demonstrate that changing/adding a chart dir in 4.4 standard mode adds a relative path to the config file? I cannot.

Also, please note that a standard default install on a virgin machine does not create a default chart directory. The initial chart list will be empty.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 18:32   #2113

I could have sworn that I did a virgin install on my new laptop. I'll have to go back, uninstall, and try it again from scratch. It might be a few days before I get back to where that computer is.

I don't want to mislead you guys, so I need to verify. I had not realized that you were only seeing this problem in portable mode.
Old 09-09-2016, 18:47   #2114

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Not sure what i was reading but the only issue evident to me was this: 5:16:52 PM: Warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
what ever that means
Please publish your log file as described in my last post.
So far we know no facts about your system and setup at all.

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:04   #2115

Boat: Najad 34

On Win10:
I use a local portable mode all the time beside a normal OCPN instance. Both are using the same charts but the portable are storing the path in a different way.

My config file for the normal instance reads:
Code:
[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=C:\\Users\\admin\\Documents\\Charts\\CM93^
And my config file for the portable instance reads:
Code:
[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=..\\..\\Users\\admin\\Documents\\Charts\\CM93^
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote