Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 09:04   #2041

Re: Feature Requests

Don't know if this has already been proposed, but while it is possible to change the default icon when creating waypoints, would it be possible to have separate default settings for waypoints created through the waypoint manager and waypoints created through 'Ctrl-O' / 'Ctrl-M'?

At the same time, would it be possible to have waypoints created through 'Ctrl-O' and 'Ctrl-M' be timestamped when they are created?
Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 10:23   #2042

Boat: Stevens Custom 50
"Show Name" as default

Hope this hasn't been raised before, but I don't see it in this thread, so ...

I use OpenCPN a lot, creating and changing routes on a more than daily basis. A minor pain in the neck is that O doesn't show the names of the waypoints on these routes. When I upload the routes to my GPS, the GPS and autopilot show the name of the waypoint I'm navigating to but the chart on O doesn't show that name so I have no idea what's going on. The only workaround I've found is to right-click each waypoint, either on the chart or in Route Properties, select "Properties", check "Show Name" and then "OK" (which is, annoyingly, about as far away from the check box as one can get, in the Properties screen). Not a lot of work for each point, but tedious when you do a lot of points.

Would it be possible for the default to be "Show Name" (at least those created by hand using the Route tool)? It seems to me that most users would prefer to see the names of the waypoints on a route, than not.

I think this could be a problem when creating a route from a track, but that could be handled by a little logic, it seems to me.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 00:28   #2043

Boat: Trisbal 36
Re: "Show Name" as default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post

Would it be possible for the default to be "Show Name" (at least those created by hand using the Route tool)? It seems to me that most users would prefer to see the names of the waypoints on a route, than not.

Please, no!

I for one am very happy that route waypoints do not have the name displayed systematically.

In fact the pain I see is when OpenCPN crashes, and this still happens often: any recently created route then suddenly displays the name of every waypoint. I then have to go through the whole routine you described, but in order to hide each waypoint name, not to display it.

I hate it when the display is cluttered with 001, 002, and so on, which does not provide any useful info anyway.

In order to reconcile your need with that of others like me, the way forward I would suggest is a setting to either display or hide waypoint names of new routes. And please apply it also to routes when resuming after a crash !

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 01:31   #2044
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: "Show Name" as default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
In fact the pain I see is when OpenCPN crashes, and this still happens often: any recently created route then suddenly displays the name of every waypoint. I then have to go through the whole routine you described, but in order to hide each waypoint name, not to display it.
This should not be the case and is worthwile to be investigated.
As always a complete picture would be helpful
- OS
- Version of OCPN
- Trying to describe when a crash happens
- The crash dump
- the OCPN log-file
And please open an own thread or if you are using 4.4 already post the findings in the "4.4.0 released" thread.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 07:31   #2045

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You could make a tracker request, under Feature Requests
Begin the title with "WP " please, it helps sort requests.
Get on Opencpn.org > Tracker to register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spithost View Post
I'm working on layers for OpenCPN and have a suggestion for the implementation of the gpx's that are used for that.

I have some waypoints in my gpx-layers, that have nearly the same coordinates (a bridge with a lock).
The "name-attributes" of both, that are then projected on the map, are drawn over eachother making both unreadable.

I tried to create a "newline" at the front of one name as "sort of" a workaround to project one of the "names" below the other but apparently the gpx-implementation of OpenCPN "breaks off" the name after the first "newline" thus making that one disappear :-(.

I tried replacing the "newline" with other solutions, like <br>'s, &x0A; characters but uptil now without any visible result so I guess it's a "missing" feature in OpenCPN handling the name-attributes in the gpx's that could be enhanced?!
Same for AKA, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2153120
If you are certain this is the way it works (more than 2 times)

belle-isle you can register your point too.
Describe exactly what happens now, and how you would like it to change. Give detail, & screenshots if needed.

mas http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2153052
I don't see timestamps in the available fields, under extended. May be possible, but needs to be put into tracker.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 13:11   #2046

At the moment (v 4.4) you can't disable the AIS/CPA alarm without also disabling the MOB/SART alarm too. Would it make sense to make it possible to disable them separately?

Aedan

AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:58   #2047

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
At the moment (v 4.4) you can't disable the AIS/CPA alarm without also disabling the MOB/SART alarm too. Would it make sense to make it possible to disable them separately?

Aedan

Try to just untick the "Warn if...." items near the top of the AIS tab.
This should disable the AIS/CPA alarm while still letting the MOB/SART alarm
work. Please test and report back!
/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 15:36   #2048

Thanks. I'll take a look the next time I'm on the boat, hopefully in the next two days.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:56   #2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Try to just untick the "Warn if...." items near the top of the AIS tab.
This should disable the AIS/CPA alarm while still letting the MOB/SART alarm
work. Please test and report back!
/Thomas
Hi Thomas,
That looks like it should work all right, I should have seen those tick boxes in the first place. Unfortunately I can't test it as I don't have access to a SART device, I'll just have to wait until a boat close to me sets theirs off by accident again.

Thanks for pointing those boxes out to me.

Aedan
Old 04-07-2016, 15:32   #2050

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
At the moment I am at sea using the AIS functionality. I am not happy with the way the alarm behaves. A target can come in and out of the set time since the speed of my sailing vessel varies. The result is that you have to confirm it numerous times.
There should be some kind of backlash. The target should not go inactive unless the distance rehashes for instance 10% grater than the set value once the alarm is set.
I see now that you have taken care of the problem when sailing along in partner with another boat. Fine.
Earlier I wrote the above which I have quoted. Is it possible that in a future release there will be a solution to the problem I am describing ?

/Hasse
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 15:51   #2051

Very difficult to fix this. If Cog and Sog were stabilized more (Transnitter Dan has made a better IR filter for Cog/Sog but it is recent and not fully tested and only for Dashboard right now.
What practical solutions do you have to solve this?
To learn what we have done and considered read tracker feature requests look for AIS or sort by summary and look for AIS. You will find some good discussion about this problem.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
What practical solutions do you have to solve this?
One brutal way of dealing with it would be to ignore a new alarm situation for a ship (MMSI) that has been confirmed and delete it from the list of no alarm when it's distance is, lets say 20% further away than the threshold set in the Tools-> Ships -> AIS Targets -> Warn if CPA less than (NMi)
At least this would be much less annoying compared to how it works at the moment.

Actually, I think this would do just fine.
The mode could be optional, so you could chose it.

/Hasse
Old 05-07-2016, 16:16   #2053

Hasse_A I think this might be worthwhile making a Tracker Feature Request. Please start the title with AIS -
Old 06-07-2016, 04:30   #2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Hasse_A I think this might be worthwhile making a Tracker Feature Request. Please start the title with AIS -
I entered a task in Feature Request but it being my first attempt I probably did some mistakes. It turned up as Bug Report instead of Feature Request. Perhaps someone can fix this ?

/Hans
Old 06-07-2016, 06:30   #2055

Hasse_A Thank you. I will check it and change to feature request. good job! I suggest you should log in again and vote for it as I have.
http://opencpn.willkamp.com/index.ph...s&task_id=2117

I encourage others to vote for it and to make comments/suggestions about Hans tracker item.