Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-06-2016, 10:10   #2026

Boat: EuroShipServices Luxemotor 22m
Re: Feature Requests

OpenCPN and Inland Waterways

OpenCPN is brilliant displaying AIS inland but what we lack is a geo background.

Would be great if open source maps could be displayed - either Maps.me or OpenStreetMap.

How feasible would that be?
Colin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 11:13   #2027
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

OpenStreetMap has already a workflow OSM-->.kap
Done for Coast lines, not for Inland Water. You might request it to OSM.

An alternative way would be to implement MBtiles as an input format for OCPN, another format OSM can deliver (and others)
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 11:50   #2028

Boat: Amel Sharki

Perhaps he should have a look at visitmyharbour.com ?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 12:06   #2029
bcn

Gerhard,

VMH does not cover Inland NL - at least not on the USB stick I have here

Hubert
Old 18-06-2016, 12:33   #2030

Hubert,

sorry, I guessed it was a user in Great Britain...

After all his home page looks like that: www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk

Gerhard
Old 18-06-2016, 12:52   #2031
bcn

UK neither - raster charts from UKHO.
You will not get from London to Oxford, not covered.
Or from Limerick further on..
Old 18-06-2016, 13:18   #2032

Sorry, for me London, Oxford or Limerick is not in NL.

But maybe I haven't seen too much of the world...

However if it is on your NL USB stick you will be right.

Gerhard
Old 18-06-2016, 13:47   #2033

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Dynamicaly load layers with charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spithost View Post
I have layers for the Netherlands with more then 10.000 points and this (as the manual also states) is sort of bringing down the performance of OpenCPN ;-)
When trying to show the data stored with a specific point, it can take some time to get it visible.

For the Netherlands I use self-generated rastermaps (.kap-files) generated from Open Street Map. And I created layers (gpx-files) from available open data, like buoys and mooring-spots.

It would be nice to be able to create layer-files somehow that are "coupled" to the underlying charts.
For example I have a ONC-Ned_1304.kap-file, and it would be nice if then dynamicaly a ONC-Ned_1304.gpx would be loaded.
The number of visible/loaded points could then dramatically go down.
I could then "distribute" the points from the layers, that now cover the whole of the Netherlands, over the 200+ rasterfiles.

This could be done based on the filename of the charts (like in my example).

Or maybe by a "indexing" function in OpenCPN that would run once through the gpx's and then "know" when to show which layer-files, like it knows that after indexing the charts.
That would be the better solution I guess, because then you could still have layers that would cover the whole of the Netherlands (in my case) beside layers that would cover only a small area.
Large layer files are a problem, as well as large track files etc. One solution is to get a faster computer. Or divide the layers by type e.g. marinas, anchorages, bridges, etc. This works for me because I am usually only interested in one item at a time.

I thought of another idea, a plugin that looks at the area currently being displayed and then searches for only those Marks(Waypoints, POI) that would be on the screen. When you sailed off the screen, and you were still interested, you could invoke the PI again. This seems to minimize the computing required.
Old 22-06-2016, 05:37   #2034

Boat: Luxe motor from 1927 30m
Re: Dynamicaly load layers with charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Large layer files are a problem, as well as large track files etc. One solution is to get a faster computer. Or divide the layers by type e.g. marinas, anchorages, bridges, etc. This works for me because I am usually only interested in one item at a time.

I thought of another idea, a plugin that looks at the area currently being displayed and then searches for only those Marks(Waypoints, POI) that would be on the screen. When you sailed off the screen, and you were still interested, you could invoke the PI again. This seems to minimize the computing required.
I allready devided the layers by type, but all buoys and other (not floating) marks are allready taking about 10.000 waypoints for the whole of the Netherlands.
If I want to show the bridges and locks as well, that would take another 11.000 or so, so that will not work in the long run (even if you have a monster of a computer).

Ofcourse I can devide those layers into seperate layers for "regions" of the Netherlands but auto-loading would be the best, not having to think about manually loading a new region when you sail into it.
As OpenCPN loads maps dynamically according to the view-port I guess it would be nice to load the waypoints dynamically as well, according to the same view-port. That is the part of the map you're interested in anyway :-)

The waypoints that are then visible at a certain point would maybe add up to a few hundred, maybe even not slowing down OpenCPN noticabily at all.

It would even be better to be able to add a zoom-factor for permanent layers under which they wouldn't be visible at all.
That way you could easily zoom out, move to another part of the map and then zoom in without having OpenCPN loading all the waypoints at a zoomed out level, which is often useless anyway.

It allready does that with maps. As I zoom out to a certain level, the OSM-based rastercharts I normaly use with zoomlevel 16, are replaced by the "global basemap".
spithost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 05:49   #2035

I rendered rastercharts in .kap-format, suitable for OpenCPN, for the Netherlands earlier this year for myself because the old .kap's that can be downloaded from OpenSeamap were very old (2011 or so).
I use those rendered maps as a basemap for OpenCPN and that works great for me.
"My charts" are rendered out of OSM in February this year and I plan to update at least once a year.
You can download them for the whole of the Netherlands through the chart-downloader plugin in OpenCPN. The chart-catalog needed for those, hasn't been added to OpenCPN yet, but you can add the catalog to OpenCPN by referring to: Netherland OSM RNC Charts (.kap-format for use in e.g OpenCPN) in the plugin.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:32   #2036

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Very nice. This address could be added to chartdwnldr plugin that Pavel and TDan worked so hard on.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 12:46   #2037

Thanks! :-) I mailed Pavel earlier with the url but I guess it just didn't make it yet to the 4.4.0 release of OpenCPN. Maybe it'll be in the next ;-)
Old 22-06-2016, 14:53   #2038

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pavel may have some standards for accepted sources to be added to the catalog. I do not know them however.
Keep in mind that sources can be added to chartdownloader and we could keep a manual list of these sources in the user docs if necessary.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 06:51   #2039

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
OpenStreetMap has already a workflow OSM-->.kap

Done for Coast lines, not for Inland Water. You might request it to OSM.

An alternative way would be to implement MBtiles as an input format for OCPN, another format OSM can deliver (and others)

Just for reference, I had already suggested that tiled images would be a very interesting format for OpenCPN to read.

It is FS#1993 (http://willkamp.com/opencpn/flyspray...993&project=68)

If you feel this makes sense, then please vote for the feature request !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 04:56   #2040

I'm working on layers for OpenCPN and have a suggestion for the implementation of the gpx's that are used for that.

I have some waypoints in my gpx-layers, that have nearly the same coordinates (a bridge with a lock).
The "name-attributes" of both, that are then projected on the map, are drawn over eachother making both unreadable.

I tried to create a "newline" at the front of one name as "sort of" a workaround to project one of the "names" below the other but apparently the gpx-implementation of OpenCPN "breaks off" the name after the first "newline" thus making that one disappear :-(.

I tried replacing the "newline" with other solutions, like <br>'s, &x0A; characters but uptil now without any visible result so I guess it's a "missing" feature in OpenCPN handling the name-attributes in the gpx's that could be enhanced?!