Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 08:43   #1981

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Feature Requests

Skipperearly, this is being done by Thomas.R. tom_BigSpeedy
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2102453 Read through most of this. However it is being called Tactic
Also see the Dashboard Thread
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:48   #1982

Boat: Dufour 35

I have used O quite a lot lately, and a couple of improvements comes to mind.
I'm testing the ideas here, to see if it's just me, or if it is something that more users are interested in, before adding it to the long tracker list.

* Right click ->Center View.. You can enter lat/long and press OK and O will take you to that position.
I hardly ever use this, as it's slightly to "complicated".
I would like to see the possibility of adding "named places". You name a place, add it's lat/long. O saves this and the next time you can just scroll down a list, pick your place and press OK and the chart just centers on that named place.

* In quilting mode, right click->Hide this chart. This excludes this particular chart from the quilt. I would like this feature to be persistent between sessions.
There are of course other, slightly more involved ways to achieve this, but if you set up your chart selection by excluding, say 10 charts, it would be great to, see the same selection tomorrow when I restart the computer.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 07:03   #1983
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
* Right click ->Center View.. You can enter lat/long and press OK and O will take you to that position.
I hardly ever use this, as it's slightly to "complicated".
I would like to see the possibility of adding "named places". You name a place, add it's lat/long. O saves this and the next time you can just scroll down a list, pick your place and press OK and the chart just centers on that named place.

Thomas
"Center on Mark" ?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:04   #1984

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I have used O quite a lot lately, and a couple of improvements comes to mind........

* In quilting mode, right click->Hide this chart. This excludes this particular chart from the quilt. I would like this feature to be persistent between sessions.
There are of course other, slightly more involved ways to achieve this, but if you set up your chart selection by excluding, say 10 charts, it would be great to, see the same selection tomorrow when I restart the computer.

Thomas
If you were to form a group and remove the charts from that group, it would be persistent across restarts.

More involved? Yes, but doable. However, once you delete a chart from a group you can't restore it. Personally I would rather see this fixed first.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:04   #1985
Marine Service Provider

Feature Requests-AIS targets - show only targets closer than a defin

I has added aishub.net TCP stream to my opencpn and shows AIVDM messages from aishub on my local system. Since the coverage is enormous, this also will load AIS targets from almost the whole world into my system and resulting in opencpn being sluggish and slow responsive. Is there any possibility to only show targets within a certain range from own-ship ? With a normal AIS receiver this would be limited by the AIS/VHF radio range, but when streamed over internet live form AISHUB, the range is world wide with 100.000 's of AIS objects,,,,,

A possibility to add a filter function for Opencpn to only accept AIVDM messages with a position closer than"X" nautical miles from own-ship would be a nice feature. Since the NMEA stream from all the AIS targets is quite large I suggest that a such filter should be made so that the filter is applied directly on the incoming data connection so that the load on the system is reduced.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:08   #1986

Suggest you ask aishub for this feature, or possibly add to Tracker.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:39   #1987
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
To implement this feature you will have to know the own-ship position. A AIS receiver providing data to AIS hub does not provide a own ship position so this will be impossible.

Also, for a phone or other portable device using Opencpn it would be great to have a AIShub account providing close to real-time AIS feed into your device without the need to have a dedicated ais reciever. I think most such small deviced would be completely choked without the possibility to limit AIS targets closer than a defined range from own-ship position.
Old 20-05-2016, 05:04   #1988
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Also:

http://www.hypack.com/new/portals/1/...%20Updates.pdf

Hide vessels outside of (nm)
: The limit
for displayed positions is significant only
when you receive AIS updates over the
Internet via such services as aishub.net or
marinetraffic.com. If you use one of these
services, receiving position updates for 10
to 20 thousand ships might overload the computer. In most cases, the default limit
(Figure 2) is high enough to cover updates received over the radio.
Old 20-05-2016, 05:11   #1989

Boat: Valiant 42

One thing you can try that may help the CPU hogging by AIS is to reduce the track time for AIS targets to near zero. I think maybe even zero will work. A lot of CPU time is spent drawing tracks or figuring out that a track point is not visible at the current zoom level.

The reality is that even the CPU time to compute the spherical distance from ownship for tens of thousands of AIS targets will hog the CPU. OpenCPN is not the right tool for a world wide AIS viewer.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 05:40   #1990

Boat: Amel Sharki

Try out the setting of AIS-List.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AISlista.png
Views:	179
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	124588   Click image for larger version

Name:	AISlistb.png
Views:	166
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	124589  

CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:25   #1991
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
One thing you can try that may help the CPU hogging by AIS is to reduce the track time for AIS targets to near zero. I think maybe even zero will work. A lot of CPU time is spent drawing tracks or figuring out that a track point is not visible at the current zoom level.

The reality is that even the CPU time to compute the spherical distance from ownship for tens of thousands of AIS targets will hog the CPU. OpenCPN is not the right tool for a world wide AIS viewer.
No, world wide AIS view is not of interest, but the possibility to effectively show nearby AIS targets using a service like AISHUB is nice, especially for networked devices like android etc,,, Since the tcp data stream is massive, there should be any sort of distance filtering.
Old 20-05-2016, 07:26   #1992
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Try out the setting of AIS-List.

Gerhard
Settings of AIS-list works only for the list, not for targets displayed on the display - just tried,, :-)
Old 20-05-2016, 15:02   #1993

I wonder if nmeaconverter_pi could filter ais based on distance, using a cqlculation?
I thought that plugin allows calcs.
Old 20-05-2016, 17:10   #1994

Boat: Valiant 42

The problem is that just dealing with the huge incoming list of targets then constantly computing distances for ten thousand or more targets is CPU intensive. Displaying the targets isn't the CPU pig. It's all those floating point calculations and the endless wading through the list throwing out hundreds of old targets and adding hundreds of new ones every few seconds.

The only way to get an Internet service AIS to perform is to use their API to select the desirable targets at their server. They all have that feature but i believe you have to pay something to use it.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 03:28   #1995

Good point TDan about CPU. I guess that's why I suggested the source be limited. You put it more clearly with

TDan wrpte:
Quote:
The only way to get an Internet service AIS to perform is to use their API to select the desirable targets at their server. They all have that feature but i believe you have to pay something to use it.