Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 11:37   #181

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoel_Asia View Post
Re the Web Code and updating the original help data in css - this has already been done for 1.3.4: It was to have been included with that release but was missed. Before 1.3.5 was released I hit a busy patch at work and failed to get it ready for Bob to include. What I did was to remove all the Word type style references in the data and replace with proper CSS. I then updated the icons and added additional screen shots of 1.3.4. I skipped including Javascript though there is no reason not to add a new JavaScript sub-folder with sharable functions. By using a common CSS and directory layout, it should be possible for many of us to contributor to the central help file.

I am happy to upload this to a common server for people to inspect, edit or whatever.
Rhoel, all good stuff but I'll respond to just this part. I wonder how that work got lost, and how we can keep that from happening in the future? Now Gordon has invested a fair amount of time doing this. It'd be great if you two worked this out so each could leverage the others work.

I think enabling many contributors is an important goal for documentation and other areas, and your approach for doc sounds like a good strategy to help facilitate.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 22:59   #182

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
I wonder how that work got lost,
Not lost so much as overlooked ... if you remember the lead up to 1.3.4 was pretty hectic and the omission understandable.

I have emailed Gordon and I'll send over my stuff for him to compare.

Quote:
and how we can keep that from happening in the future? Now Gordon has invested a fair amount of time doing this. It'd be great if you two worked this out so each could leverage the others work.
I have emailed Gordon and I'll send over my stuff for him to compare. My thought is to get the css and file structure right as that will provide a firm foundation for everyone to build upon: I thnk a menu system is also called for, as the help file is now getting too large. Being able to specifically look for AIS guidance will save everyone much time.

One thing I did check on is the OpenCPN.com, .org and .net have already been taken ... registered to a Dutch address and run as Cruising Knots. The use of a .org for a private site is questionable and probably worth an ICANN request for release. Whilst any individual can register an .org (not restricted to organizations), the registrant can be forced to provide a plausible reason as to how he arrived at the name: If it look as though it is name squatting, then the name could recalled. If this open-source project requires this name (and I think we do), then we need a consensus before a complaint is lodged first with GoDaddy (the company who registered it) and then with ICANN.

Personally, I think we need to follow this up but would appreciate comments on this before pressing the complaints button: maybe I need to start a new poll thread on this as its too important to get lost in a sub-thread.

Rhoel.
Rhoel_Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 03:56   #183

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I feel the sourceforge hosting is perfectly fine, you can customise http://opencpn.sourceforge.net/ to your liking.
Old 30-11-2009, 10:43   #184

psyches
rhoel_asia
dacust

I've added my comments on the help file in the http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/help-file-location-contents-additions-and-corrections-33260.html section.

I feel it's better there for the new users of OpenCPN.
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 13:56   #185

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
One thing I did check on is the OpenCPN.com, .org and .net have already been taken ... registered to a Dutch address and run as Cruising Knots. The use of a .org for a private site is questionable and probably worth an ICANN request for release. Whilst any individual can register an .org (not restricted to organizations), the registrant can be forced to provide a plausible reason as to how he arrived at the name: If it look as though it is name squatting, then the name could recalled. If this open-source project requires this name (and I think we do), then we need a consensus before a complaint is lodged first with GoDaddy (the company who registered it) and then with ICANN.

Personally, I think we need to follow this up but would appreciate comments on this before pressing the complaints button: maybe I need to start a new poll thread on this as its too important to get lost in a sub-thread.
Rhoel, thanks much for your help and thinking. I see idpnd's point re: use of sourceforge, and I agree it could be better leveraged. But I think having a web site would make complete sense if OpenCPN usage is going to grow greatly in the navigation community - and I think that's highly likely. I do believe we have the foundation for an ecosystem: the nav app, a suite of tools such as Seaclear already provides, a catalog of free charts, good integration with other world charting and weather sites, etc.

I also agree - a new thread is probably worthwhile due to the topic's importance. You thought of this idea - want to start it?

I see what you mean about opencpn.org redirecting to cruisingknots.com. As you saw, the person that owns these is Yme Bosma. Here is more info on him:

Yme Bosma
Yme Bosma - LinkedIn
Yme Bosma - Netherlands | Facebook

I suggest before filing a complaint, we contact him re: his intent for the domain; perhaps he would be happy to delegate ownership or even act as domain admin on behalf of the project. Perhaps he's already involved in some way (I'm fairly new, so I could easily have missed out), or is even anticipating this.

This assumes Dave is on-board with all this.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 14:22   #186

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
I suggest before filing a complaint, we contact him re: his intent for the domain; perhaps he would be happy to delegate ownership or even act as domain admin on behalf of the project. Perhaps he's already involved in some way (I'm fairly new, so I could easily have missed out), or is even anticipating this.

This assumes Dave is on-board with all this.

Mark
I did some more work on this and checked the SEO on alternatives. I discovered a better workaround and have emailed dave about this. If adopted, it would mean in the mid and long-term, matie in Holland who is hitchhiking on Dave's product name will loose out: His site isn't ranking at present and I don't see that changing.

As for sourceforge, its ideal for development but it's not being picked up by SEO general queries (because of how the SEO spiders work) and its not easy for newbies to navigate. The reason for having a clean domain is to resolve the SEO issues and create a place where Joe Public can get information easily, see screenshots and find FAQ, etc From my POV, the two sites are complimentary, not a replacement or adversaries.

Rhoel.
Rhoel_Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34   #187
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
I think this issue has been discussed a few times. By Rhoel Asia the last time I guess. But I'm so impressed by the functionality and coding that I thought I wanted to show a few examples. So please excuse .

sk_brjng.jpg is a marine chart of a port close to my home town. If I open Google Earth you can see a satellite image like in sk_brjng_GE.jpg. If I use the 'groundoverlay' feature in Google Earth I get the picture as in sk_brjng_GE_O.jpg. The KML-file contains the following segments:

<GroundOverlay>
<name>Brejning Lystbådehavn</name>
<color>57ffffff</color>
<Icon>
<href>sk_brjng.JPG</href>
<viewBoundScale>0.75</viewBoundScale>
</Icon>
<LatLonBox>
<north>55.67646635859729</north>
<south>55.67375524748617</south>
<east>9.693870008148835</east>
<west>9.688439452593274</west>
<rotation>0.3360646771542267</rotation>
</LatLonBox>
</GroundOverlay>

All raster based marine charts can be 'groundoverlay'd like that. And I think it gives incredible information to see marine chart information on real life satellite images. See another example in GE_snaevringen_med.jpg. It's actually the 'color' that gives the degree of transparency to the satellite image.

I have seen the functionality in the fugawi software as an unsupported feature, - however still impressive and simple.

For vector charts I think that www.earthnc.com/online has shown that a full KML-based interface/layer of marine information is possible. I guess that a transformation from the S57-vector objects to KML-segments has been programmed. But my knowledge is unfortunately not deep enough. I'm still impressed by the combination og satellite images and marine information.

My suggestion is (of course) to make this idea appropriate for OpenCPN That is a 'button' showing the active marine chart as ground overlay in Google earth. Easy for raster charts. For vector charts I guess more consideration is necessary.

Thanks for letting me tell my story..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_brjng.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	11413   Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_brjng_GE.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	11415  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_brjng_GE_O.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	11417   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE_snaevringen_med.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	11418  

oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 16:03   #188

Boat: Hylas 44
Hi Dave

The Raymarine SPX 30 autopilot reads NMEA RMC sentences as well as the RMB sentences that OpenCPN writes. The BU-353 GPS writes an RMC sentence to OpenCPN. It would be nice if OpenCPN could echo that RMC sentence to the autopilot.

Regards
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:01   #189

Boat: Sailboat
Locking a chart to be able to read notes

In post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...art-33616.html "huguley" makes a valid point. On some BSB charts, including NOAA charts, the notes are outside of the active chart area. When trying to look at these notes with opencpn, opencpn selects the next overlapping chart, which might have these notes in a totally different place.

There should be an option to lock the chart, so the user can move across all corners of the chart to find the notes to mariners. This would also need to disable any future "stitching" or "autoscaling" of charts.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:29   #190

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
I would like to ask for a new point :
To manage the daylight saving offset in the tide display window . It could be through a parameter to be set somewhere in the tool box .
thanks
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 14:45   #191

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
I would like to ask for a new point :
To manage the daylight saving offset in the tide display window . It could be through a parameter to be set somewhere in the tool box .
thanks
Jean Pierre
I'm sorry ,it seams to be already existing .Please forget this threat
regards
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 21:36   #192

Quote:
One thing I did check on is the OpenCPN.com, .org and .net have already been taken ... registered to a Dutch address and run as Cruising Knots.
Rhoel & Dave,

A whois lookup on opencpn.org shows the domain to be registered under
Dave's cantact info:

Registrant Name: David Register
Registrant Organization: Dyad
Registrant Email:bdbcat at yah00.com

Do we have control of this url? Cant wait to contribute to a documentation wiki...

Will
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52   #193

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Quote:
One thing I did check on is the OpenCPN.com, .org and .net have already been taken ... registered to a Dutch address and run as Cruising Knots. The use of a .org for a private site is questionable and probably worth an ICANN request for release. Whilst any individual can register an .org (not restricted to organizations), the registrant can be forced to provide a plausible reason as to how he arrived at the name: If it look as though it is name squatting, then the name could recalled. If this open-source project requires this name (and I think we do), then we need a consensus before a complaint is lodged first with GoDaddy (the company who registered it) and then with ICANN. Rhoel..
Hi all..

Very strange that the OpenCPN.com,org.,net should be registered with names like 'Dave' and 'Dyad', the latter being Dave's first name and not familiar in Holland. And e-mail: bdbcat which is Daves pseudonym. Has anybody contacted the registrant about this? 'Curiouser and curiouser said Alice'
Old 10-12-2009, 03:17   #194

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Has anyone considered that by registering the domains in Holland,Dave might have wanted to remain anonymous? Hope we haven't blown it...
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Has anyone considered that by registering the domains in Holland,Dave might have wanted to remain anonymous? Hope we haven't blown it...
Doubtful about the anonymous theory. You can hide your info in whois searches if you want anonymity.

Will