Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 15:05   #1876

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Greg,

the draw-boundary plug-in does provide the EBL functionality (and much more other gooddies)

Hubert
Thanks Hubert. I found the thread with "ocpn-draw" plugin and the EBL and VRM capabilities look good. I think I would prefer to see just the radar plots on a blank screen, but I can probably adapt to using EBL on the chart.
Old 10-11-2015, 17:48   #1877

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Is there a quick and easy way to turn off the charts display and leave the radar returns and then quickly turn charts back on?. I say this because it might be an effective way to work.

One idea for accomplishing this would be to make a group with just gshhs outline charts and pick that group. --Not quite what you are asking for but closer.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:12   #1878

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Is there a quick and easy way to turn off the charts display and leave the radar returns and then quickly turn charts back on?. I say this because it might be an effective way to work.

One idea for accomplishing this would be to make a group with just gshhs outline charts and pick that group. --Not quite what you are asking for but closer.
What I think we're talking about is chart clutter.

I would like to have a way to turn hide all WP names. A check box in the Route Manager would be nice. SAS Planet has this.

If anyone else is interested I'll put it in tracker.
Old 11-11-2015, 18:38   #1879

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

rlgleason. Thanks for the help. I like your idea. Maybe there is an easy solution to toggle the chart off to get a "clean radar picture"? I did that once, but forgot what I did and now can't duplicate it. Senior moment?
Old 13-11-2015, 01:32   #1880

chart format mnx

Can I please ask for mnx chart support?

I have some UK charts in this format.

Thanks
John
CorinthianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 02:03   #1881

Maybe we should be making some of these requests in tracker?
1. A new chart group tab,next to All charts, No charts or Gshhs carts. Then user can change it easily with right click.
2. Reduce chart clutter
Maybe wdkester would put in tracker?
Old 13-11-2015, 03:21   #1882
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: chart format mnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorinthianJohn View Post
Can I please ask for mnx chart support?

I have some UK charts in this format.

Thanks
John
I fear that this will not work:
Will Kamp - the author of MXmariner - has licensed these charts from UKHO/Admiralty and is offering those for this program in a propieatary format.
So no way to import these into OCPN directly.
Perhaps you might want to contact Will?
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 05:14   #1883
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Just to add:
you can get the same chart material from VisitMyHarbor for OpenCPN.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:21   #1884

Use one keyboard key to drop mark.

Hello,

In a previous post to the OpenCPN forum I noted that the ability to drop a mark with the spacebar had been eliminated,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ey-155480.html

I found the ability to drop a mark by pressing one keyboard key to be extremely useful. Whether it is the spacebar or another key.

I noted that I could use AutoHotkey in Windows to map ctrl+o to spacebar but it is a little clunky. I find that I can't do that at all using Linux which I am switching to as my primary OS.

Using ctrl+o is very awkward for me in a small boat in choppy conditions. I need to stop the boat to leave the helm to use two hands on the keyboard. Before I could reach over with one hand and tap the spacebar and continue underway. Training guests on the boat to drop the mark with ctrl+o would be near impossible on a day outing.

It would be excellent if the ability to press one key to drop a mark at the boat position was returned to OpenCPN. Perhaps it could be OFF by default and turned on through the settings panel or a config file.

Thank you,
Steve Jackson
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 19:05   #1885

Steve,

I use control-m to drop a mark. I can do this with one hand by using one finger to hold down the Ctrl key on the right side of the keyboard while I tap the M key with a different finger on the same hand.

The space bar previously dropped the man-overboard mark and started the MOB navigation process described in the manual.

There is a man-overboard button on the taskbar. It is easy enough to click that with one hand if you have a mouse or a touchpad or a touch screen on the computer running OpenCPN.

To ask to bring back on old feature or to request a new one, you should put your suggestion in the feature request section of the Tracker over on the OpenCPN.org website in addition to a posting in this forum. Once it is in the tracker, other OpenCPNers can vote for it. You should also vote for your requested feature in the Tracker.

Regards,
Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 23:16   #1886

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

There are too many plugins on the download page. So many users get confused by all of this and miss the important plugins. I think it's time to put them into categories like:

1) Weather
2) Charts
3) Navigation

etc ...

And automatically sort the plugins based on downloads, and publish the statistics next to each plugin.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 03:46   #1887

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
There are too many plugins on the download page. So many users get confused by all of this and miss the important plugins. I think it's time to put them into categories like:

1) Weather
2) Charts
3) Navigation

etc ...

And automatically sort the plugins based on downloads, and publish the statistics next to each plugin.
Maybe this should move to a new thread!

There are currently 27 plugins. They are listed under OpenCPN version headings. I agree it may be better if they were listed by purpose, I have added Instrumentation. The downloads and compatibility with various versions and even beta's could be handled within each title and would avoid repeats (ie. calculator). As you say they could be ordered by number of downloads that would also give some feedback as to the usefulness and what effort should be expended on any future development.

Something like this? Comments?

CHARTING
Chart Downloader
S-63 Charts
Google Earth Plugin
nv-charts Plugin
BSB4
World Magnetic Model

NAVIGATION
Chart Object Search
Statusbar
sQuidd.io
Logbook Konni
Watchdog
Route
SAR
VDR or Voyage Data Recorder
Debugger
Calculator
Celestial Navigation
FindIt

WEATHER
Weather Routing
Weatherfax
Climatology
IAC Fleet Code

INSTRUMENTATION
Navico Radar
GRadar
AIS Radar
RTLSDR
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 05:34   #1888

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Why can't the plug-ins be rationalised by incorporating the most generally useful ones into the OCPN core?
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 07:16   #1889

Boat: Najad 34

Hoolie..
A kind of general option about the most common, like Dashboard, Grib, Chartloader and WMM, are already incorporated in the core code.
What more do you think are "general" for a common user?
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:09   #1890

Yes I do think this should be in a new thread. There are some other plugibs too