Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 15:07   #1801

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillian Fellers View Post
Would it be possible, when parsing NMEA sentences over TCP, that OpenCPN accepts both <CR><LF> and <LF> as valid end-of-line markers (or offers the choice as an option)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
You might want to register this at the bug tracker as a request.
This has changed since I last looked: Early last year I was testing android GPS apps and found the same inconsistencies that Hillian Fellers is noting. At that time though OpenCPN would accept the dodgy output from BlueNMEA etc. but kplex dropped it for being malformed. Looking through git it seems OpenCPN's parsing was tightened up in May last year to be more "correct". Meantime I added in option to kplex to relax its parsing rules to accommodate this kind of dubious sentence formation.

I'd definitely say that loosening the parsing rules again (or providing an option to do so) is a feature request. This isn't a bug. nohal is probably best placed to comment on this.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 02:03   #1802

Boat: Steel Lavranos 50

Is there a way to add a feature into OpenCPN that will allow a push button contact to be connected to say one of the RS232 control lines to activate the MOB alarm so that a push button can be setup at the help to record the MOB position as an alternate to the mouse of PC keyboard.

NavMonPC has this feature as well as the ability to drive an external alarm.

My old SIMRAD chart plotter has this.

It would also allow one of the Crew tag products to show on OpenCPN the position the MOBi signal was lost.
Distant_Shaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:47   #1803
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Considering that the brand of laptop, the version of OS, the specific hardware and any RS-232 to USB converter that are involved may implement the control lines differently (and there's always a choice of implementing them in hardware or software, another setting which could disable a hardware button unintentionally) I think that would be an unreliable feature to add. That it would work on "this computer not that computer" and leaves users confused or misunderstanding whether it would or wouldn't work on any one particular system--unless they tested it out and did configuration of the serial port. (Which further confuses most people.)

Clever kludge if it works though.

Would there be a way to have a "Bluetooth button" that actually signaled to the computer & program, using legitimate (fully supported) programming though? A wy to send a BT alert message into OpenCPN to trigger the alert?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 16:51   #1804

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Considering that the brand of laptop, the version of OS, the specific hardware and any RS-232 to USB converter that are involved may implement the control lines differently (and there's always a choice of implementing them in hardware or software, another setting which could disable a hardware button unintentionally) I think that would be an unreliable feature to add. That it would work on "this computer not that computer" and leaves users confused or misunderstanding whether it would or wouldn't work on any one particular system--unless they tested it out and did configuration of the serial port. (Which further confuses most people.)

Clever kludge if it works though.

Would there be a way to have a "Bluetooth button" that actually signaled to the computer & program, using legitimate (fully supported) programming though? A wy to send a BT alert message into OpenCPN to trigger the alert?
My thoughts:

Maybe the answer is to buy a cheap rechargeable/battery operated BT keyboard and then have it on deck in a plastic ziploc bag. Pushing the space bar or a specific key (which can be user defined in CPN ) would activate the MOB alarm. There should definitely be an alert sound to indicate that the MOB has been activated (most people's PC/laptops sound is connected to their onboard hifi/speaker system for music anyway).

This system would allow users to have the optimal system for their setups (range, cost, choice of BT keyboard etc).
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 22:15   #1805

https://www.delcomproducts.com/webpage.asp?id=31

RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:42   #1806
Marine Service Provider

If this functionality is to be implemented, it should absolutely not be tied to Bluethooth. It should be implemented as other sensors to Opencpn and can then be extendes the normal way available bo open copn, whnenevwer it is rs232/ USB / Network etc etc. Bluethoot is " nice to have" but not a technology I woud trust to operate a MOB button if this was a critical part of my system.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 23:39   #1807

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
$54 for a button is a bit steep !! And it's not even waterproof !!
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 20:25   #1808

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
$54 for a button is a bit steep !! And it's not even waterproof !!
I am not endorsing any manufacturer. I am just showing that the sort of device that you're looking for is out there. Do some searching of your own.

Frankly I think the best answer to this issue is simply to run OpenCPN on a touchscreen tablet or laptop. Then you have the MOB icon button on screen all the time, and all you need to do is tap it on the screen with your finger.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:57   #1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I am not endorsing any manufacturer. I am just showing that the sort of device that you're looking for is out there. Do some searching of your own.

Frankly I think the best answer to this issue is simply to run OpenCPN on a touchscreen tablet or laptop. Then you have the MOB icon button on screen all the time, and all you need to do is tap it on the screen with your finger.
This is only a part solution as it does not allow for more than one MOB button ( have 3 currently, outside helm, inside helm and nav station). Your system will not allow for MOB tag systems to be connected to OpenCPN. It would also allow for a motor cut off tag to be connected and alarm is the helmsman fell overboard.

Have a look at NavMonPC for a similar application I am requesting. This feature in OpenCPN would be easy to all for computers with RS232 ports or corrected configured USB RS232 ports.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:29   #1810

Boat: Amel Sharki

May I ask how many times a day you fell overboard? What about a life belt? It will for sure help you.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:57   #1811

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gerhard. Very funny, dry wit. Mob improvements are worthwhile, but extra buttons?
I believe pavel and dave have implimented a plb-ais support which has been tested. With watchman and the proper emgine connections you could even shut down the engine.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20   #1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
GMob improvements are worthwhile, but extra buttons?
I agree and this is the reason for asking as I do sail short/ single handed any help in a MOB situation must be good.

Quote:
I believe pavel and dave have implimented a plb-ais support which has been tested.
Yes I have connected my VHF DSC radio to OCPN and it works OK. I would have liked an output signal to operate an alarm sounder and to either stop the engine or to signal my autopilot to reverse course.

I also have a design to turn into the wind when under sail either to port of starboard depending on the tack the boat is currently on. Useful when single handing.

Quote:
With watchman and the proper engine connections you could even shut down the engine.
I don't have watchman but something similar that has a volt free contact when MOB situation.

May be I an going over the top but I want to do all I can to save any one who may go over the side even taking all precautions to prevent MOB.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:10   #1813

Quote:
Yes I have connected my VHF DSC radio to OCPN and it works OK. I would have liked an output signal to operate an alarm sounder and to either stop the engine or to signal my autopilot to reverse course.

I also have a design to turn into the wind when under sail either to port of starboard depending on the tack the boat is currently on. Useful when single handing.
Some of this sounds worthwhile to me. You really should register on Tracker and enter it as a request so it does not get lost! I would put the request under both "Watchdog plugin" and "Opencpn Features" and start the task with "AIS Alarms".
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-110519.html

The WatchDog plugin has now become very flexible and can become the "glue" that is necessary to make these things happen. You should get on the WatchDog thread and start discussing how to implement this I think. Sean the author may notice it.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-150313.html

Quote:
I don't have watchman but something similar that has a volt free contact when MOB situation.
I think you should start using WatchDog and get familiar with it.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13   #1814

REgister for Tracker OpenCPN::Tracker Register new user
Old 03-09-2015, 05:18   #1815
Marine Service Provider

Re: Feature Requests REDSHIFT as color sheme plugin

REDSHIFT https://github.com/jonls/redshift is program to dim your display for different light conditions. even if it can be installed separately on your system, it would be a great future to make a opencpn REDSHIFT plugin that uses the normal opencpn position data to configuer the display brightness and that can be configuerd the same way as other plugins in opencpn.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote