Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 14:11   #1756

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Mercator (or polyconic) will do. I am refering to those charts that have the recommended routes on it. I had the CD and unfortunately trew it away.
Regards.
It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but the Pilot Charts does show the GC routes. Have a look Pilot Charts for Chart Plotters | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:05   #1757

I use the route tool to do tradtional navigation - fixes, set/drift, etc..

Is there a way to draw a circle of position. That is not hard when doing a LOP and a distance, but two COPs seems almost impossible.

Any suggestions?

Might this be a simple features to include. This also might be useful in drawing limits around isolated dangers.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:34   #1758

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Suggest you enter into tracker

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:08   #1759

jackdale,

Take a look at OpenCPN.org > Book Navigation (left side of screen) > Supplementary Software > Chart Work

Chart Work | Official OpenCPN Homepage

These tools enable traditional chart plotting methods to be used on OpenCPN's screen.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:33   #1760

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I use the route tool to do tradtional navigation - fixes, set/drift, etc..

Is there a way to draw a circle of position. That is not hard when doing a LOP and a distance, but two COPs seems almost impossible.

Any suggestions?

Might this be a simple features to include. This also might be useful in drawing limits around isolated dangers.
The plan is to include drawing capabilities and more in the future. Have a look here https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/239 , scroll down to bdbcats first post.
There will probably first be a bugfix release and then the serious development starts for the following stable release. So it will likely take some time.....

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 03:19   #1761

ETA for Active Route

The method used to calculate the ETA for the full (active) route is different in Route Properties dialog and in Route Information Window (the small display in top right corner).

For current leg, both assume constant current SOG.

For following legs:

- Route Properties assumes the Plan Speed, which is user-settable in the dialog, at any time.

- Route Information Window assumes the same speed as for the current leg.

The result is slightly confusing, as the two tools give different values for seemingly the same question.

Both being useful, Route Properties is more general, since it is very easy to choose any Plan Speed, including making it equal to current SOG.

I think it would be nice to add the same capability to Route Information Window, e.g. in the form of a choice: "assume current SOG", or "assume Plan Speed", with suitable initial default and save-on-exit.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:52   #1762

May I suggest to implement visualized PORT/STBD XTE limits along route legs? If they could also be dragable would be great.
Something similar to the following:

tidikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 09:52   #1763

Boat: Dehler 47

Using this great program when sailracing, a couple of features would be really helpful:

- Wind direction indicator from boat (twd)
- Heading from compass as an indicator together with cog indicator.
- An EBRL together with the range rings

Best regards!
/Henrik
HenrikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 10:48   #1764

Boat: Najad 34

Henrik
If you've the wind info as NMEA 0183 into OCPN there are a couple of instruments in the Dashboard.
Heading line is there, when NMEA HDT is available. I you just have HDM then install the WMM plugin. (Tools-Ships-Own Ship-Heading Prediction length > 0)
The EBRL I don't understand

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:05   #1765
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

EBRL or EBL (Electronic Bearing Line) is a tool to indicate or to draw a bearing and distance to a point. You will have this at your radar
Like the measurement to the cursor we already have, but as a persistent line. Or a measurement with one leg and persistent.
Once the draw&boundary plug-in gets stable it can become the place to implement this.

Plus VRMs (Virtual Range Markers): circle around a point with variable radius. A fix radius is already present in the draw&boundary PI.

Both are tools that are persistent during a session if not deleted by the user before.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 14:29   #1766

Boat: Catalina

Hi,

FEATURE REQUEST :
I've been doing a bit of playing around with OpenCPN and it's a wonderful tool. One aspect is the navigation bar at the bottom where you have green and blue buttons to represent ENC vs RNC maps.

The issue I find difficult is switching between the maps as they both have information on.

What I would like to see is this (aligned green and blue buttons):

Green bar ==> Map1 Map2 <blank> Map3 Map4
Blue Bar ==> Map1 Map2 Map2a Map3 Map4

The Maps would correspond to the same scale (eg 1:20000 = Map1, 1:40000 = Map2, 1:50000 = Map2a, 1:80000 = Map3, 1:120000 = Map4, etc).

A blank area would be inserted for no corresponding map. This way it becomes obvious on which map you need to select to not lose your chart info or zoom scale. It also shows you what charts may be missing or need to be added.

BTW, having this would also allow you to overlay the ENC on the RNC map by potentially highlighting both corresponding green/blue buttons. Just a thought for some Alpha blending in the future...

BUG? :

I've also found a discrepancy. The measure tool 'M' is in metres even when the distance is in Nautical Miles. This is kind weird as you are mixing metric with imperial units.

I typically use Nautical Miles and Feet. My soundings are in feet too. When larger distances of nautical miles are measured all is great and the units are nautical miles.

Maybe there should be a unit selection for the 'M' tool as an option too ?

Great work though I must admit. Keep it up, we appreciate it !! :-)
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 14:55   #1767

Boat: Phantom 19

cruisingdog...
Nice idea. Given you have both ENC and RNC charts covering the same area at the same scale. This is not always the case even in the US, forget about the rest of the world completely...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 18:08   #1768
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have a feature request. I would love to be able to share my position with family and friends, preferably using an online map embedded in a web page. Unfortunately this only seems possible using subscription services or some clunky system such as YOTREPS.
I would Like to be able to send position reports using email. Iridium at sea and wifi near shore.
Is there anyway opencpn could
Make a position report at the click of a button, format and prepare the email to an online map that accepts coordinate position reports, possibly have a pop up txt box for comments as well?
If not any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33   #1769

Boat: BENETEAU

Hi,

@monte, @crusindog, @Tidikawa, @jackdale....

Please use Tracker/Flyspray to be sure that your suggestion is store and visible during its lifetime.

OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

By using Tracker/Flyspray you will be able to see if your suggestion is shared by other OpenCPNers (vote option).

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58   #1770

Boat: Amel Sharki

@serge,

if you might have a look here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-146989.html
the developers don't care about the tracker/flyspray.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote