Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24   #1651

Re: Feature Requests

I would like a guiding tool. I sail a 2 hour route with passengers every day. It's always the same route and I do the same guiding every day. If there was any way that when you drive over a chosen spot, coordinates or waypoint a window pops up with some information you written or a picture. When you have an activated route the waypoint automatically switches when you get close enough. The principal could be the same with this tool, instead of showing the course and time to next waypoint it could open a new window. If it's possible you have a screen connected to you computer that is showing the chart and ships position all the time, and when you come to a special place it shows information about it and then later closes. Glad for feedback

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tommylun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:21   #1652

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
Lightbulb Re: Feature Requests-I want OpenCPN to display heading line

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
xiurong...
OpenCPN shows the heading line when heading is available in the NMEA stream. If you believe that in your case it is in the data stream and is not shown, capture some sample data and post for analysis.

Pavel
Dear Pavel,a useful heading line should be a unlimited ultra long line but not be limited by the SOG predictor,pls see this link
Old 07-08-2014, 16:23   #1653

turn track recording on the instrument panel
close the program
run the program off track recording

that no one tracks do not use?
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:07   #1654

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

Dear Developers:
Good day to you!
I have request the Long Heading line before,due to my bad english,I made this picture for your reference,I request a long heading line,which can extend ahead to the chart area edge,a long heading line is more useful for the navigator if there are lots of ships near around.pls see this post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	long headingline.png
Views:	255
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	86381  
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56   #1655

Boat: BENETEAU

OpenCPNers,

Please use TRACKER/FLYSPRAY with no moderation; you will be sure that any bug, any remark, any suggestion... will be traced, analyzed and taken in account.

How to access TRACKER/FLYSPRAY:
Select the “tracker Button” (http://opencpn.org/ocpn/) in the upper right hand side of the menu.

How to register onto TRACKER/FLYSPRAY:
In the upper part of the screen; there is a place to register, and a place to login.
Nota: no registration gives a limited access to functionalities

How to select a category (project):
In the 2nd line of the screen (upper left Handside); a listbox with categories (project list) concerning OpenCPN and Plugins has been set.
So far, in the project list, you can select between :
All Projects
0 - OpenCPN Feature Requests [for Opencpn feature requests)
1 - OpenCPN 3.2.x Stable
2 - OpenCPN 3.3.x Beta
documentation
pi-AIS Radar
Plugin System
Short Cuts & Touchscreen

How to enter a request:
Browse through the tasklist to be sure that it is not already there; if not
>> Concerning OpenCPN :
- ask for a new functionality by address it via ‘new features’ project.
- report a bug by address it to the version of your running OpenCPN

>> Concerning Plugins:
- address by Plugin and identify "beta" or "release" and "bug" or "feature" and name (and version) of plugin.

How to close a request:
When a new version of OpenCPN and/or plugin has been released, check if your submitted requests have been taken into account, if Yes, thanks for asking for its closure.

How to vote for a request:
Select a task and click on the “vote button” on the Left handside
Use with no moderation, this is how to pinpoint what functionality is important to you.
Nota: by pressing “overview” you will get the list for the most wanted task of the category.

Thanks everyone
Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 07:36   #1656

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

after using OCPN in inland rivers for years now, it seems silly to bring this point up, but here goes...

mile markers on inland waterways ECNs are shown on the screen as km. my bet is this is for kilometers and reflects some european influence in the development?

anyway, how about making that selectable to mi for those of us river rats, loopers, semi-loopers, or just plain old goin' south folk.
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 07:47   #1657

Boat: Phantom 19

BluegillBoy...
This is a flaw in the presentation library, which as you correctly anticipate is based on the IENC standard as published on ienc.openecdis.org
Please open a ticket in the tracker so that we sometimes take care of it somehow...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00   #1658

The tides predicted are in many cases quite OK, except for the local time zone or daylight saving state.

Perhaps it would be useful to have a user-adjustable selection of the local offset to UTC (including 0) ? It will not replace the need for a correct database, but can be a quick help in need...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hawkesbury_Tides.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	89258  
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:09   #1659

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Re tides yes adding UT offset field and daylight savings would be very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:16   #1660

Also, believe it or not, sometimes the observed tide is different (perhaps for varying reasons like Pressure) but sometimes the predictions are more consistently late or early. If a user knows this it might be reasonable to be able to note this so it comes up and can be checked the next time etc. Ie slack late 15 min or high tide early 10 min.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43   #1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
it might be reasonable to be able to note this so it comes up and can be checked the next time ...
What you are saying here would sound similar to the CM93offsets mechanism, or something like a built-in Harmonics editor...

I was just thinking of a simple adjustment of the final display. I am certainly not going to edit all Queensland tide stations. Not today ...
Old 05-10-2014, 06:03   #1662

Quote:
I was just thinking of a simple adjustment of the final display. I am certainly not going to edit all Queensland tide stations. Not today ...
Understood! I wouldn't expect more....perhaps someone will have a way of crowdsource or whatever, observed conditions in the future. Noaa has measuring sites distributed primarily in harbors, but not so many where current runs...
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42   #1663

Integrating Earth Wind and Currents View

I am using the Earth Wind and Currents daily, and I like the clearly readable presentation very much.

For the Coral Sea area I set up a waypoint with 2 links, for wind and sea currents:

earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

This gives me a very easy way of having the display immediately correctly centered and zoomed. Usually, the only change I do when moving the focus along progress of the route is to change the center coordinates.

I would be very happy if just moving the waypoint on chart by some magic would also change the two values following, in this case, the keyword "equirectangular=" in the text of the link...

It is a little hard to think of a general mechanism, that would do this, but I think this tool deserves such an integration, even if it would be some special case, looking for a string in the waypoint name, icon or description...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nullschool_wind_20141011.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	89539   Click image for larger version

Name:	nullschool_currents_20141011.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	89540  

Name:	nullschool_wpt_S.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	89541  
Old 11-10-2014, 06:24   #1664

1. Requires Internet connection or access.
2. Need to send Boat Location (GPS) = Waypoint location.

So you suggest using a Waypoint with long and lat values with HTML request sent to---> URLs using Libcurl(?)

In something like this format

Which then is processed and overlays onto the Opencpn charts.

One problem is the difference in chart projection.
Another is that the URL is not a static image.

Perhaps a plugin that takes Boat Location and inserts it into the "Walking Waypoint"?
Or perhaps have "My Boat" have link properties which allow sending current position information to various URLs such that the Browser comes up.

This might be a hover on Own Ship > Right click > Pick "Links" > Pick the user defined URLS which are dependent on Own Ship Gps location. It would open the browser then.

The other way to do it is to have the user URL's activated through the "Cursor Location" > Right click > Select "User URL Links" > Select the URL which adds the cursor location to the URL and then the Browser comes up to view. --Requires internet connection.

This could probably be a Curser-User-URL plugin for near real time Wind, Current data.

Is that what you are thinking of?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:44   #1665

Thanks for the help, I have been trying to get all this working.
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote