Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 13:54   #1636

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Pavel.. Many thanks for the nice lesson, I'll save it, but I'm out sailing and have nothing but a terrible net-connection. To get something done I do appreciate if you can process the patch this time and I'll make a try next time?
Håkan
Hakan...
No problem. I have excellent connection. But no windows to see whether it's day or night outside. Enjoy

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 13:49   #1637

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests-I want OpenCPN to display heading line

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
xiurong...
OpenCPN shows the heading line when heading is available in the NMEA stream. If you believe that in your case it is in the data stream and is not shown, capture some sample data and post for analysis.

Pavel
Dear Pavel,Thanks alot for your reply.
I'm sure OpenCPN shows the heading line when heading is available in my NMEA stream. What I want to suggest is about the length of heading line,the length of heading line in opencpn dos not cover the whole screen(not extend to the edge of the chart displaying area) but has been limited by the "COG Predictor Length(min)" in "Own Ship" settings.I am sorry for my bad english so I found 3 pictures for you:

xiurong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	187
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	84859   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	84860  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	84861  
xiurong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 04:18   #1638

Boat: BENETEAU

Hi folks,

There is too much requests with no (or very little) votes.

Have a look on the "OpenCPN - Features Requests" stream , 132 requests are in the portfolio and only 32 have 2 or more votes (<25%).

> Be the actor of your favourite software :
>> as a User :
>>> by voting for the request that is imortant to you
>>> by posting new request (after checking if not allready there in the portfolio);

>> as a Requester :
>>> by checking, from time to time, if your request is still accurate and if YES, by asking for its closure.

> Tracker/Flyspray :

>> Tracker/Flyspray is here OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
>> Login and Registration is here OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist at the top

Thanks to all

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 07:40   #1639

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Serge

Two points

1. many submitters haven't voted for their own submission.
2. you can only vote for 3 (or so) feature requests per day.
Old 18-07-2014, 01:36   #1640

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hakan...
No problem. I have excellent connection. But no windows to see whether it's day or night outside. Enjoy
Pavel
Many thanks. I saw it's implemented in 3.3.1911 And I admit myself to be a little proud you didn't correct my code in more than some minor commands. (e.g. wxEmptyString instead of "")
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 03:42   #1641

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I noticed that out of the 28MB package for opencpn (assuming lzma compression)
  1. documentation - 18MB
  2. gshhs (world background map) - 5.5MB
  3. wxWidgets libraries (windows only) - 1.5MB
  4. main application binary - 1.4MB
  5. sounds - 1.3MB
  6. s57data (for vector charts) - 800kb
  7. tide/current data - 700kb
  8. everything else, translations, builtin plugins etc ~ 400kb

First of all, the documentation is huge and accounts for more than 2/3rds of the package due to many screenshots. I personally would like to see it split off into a separate package and download, or at least have an option to download opencpn without the documentation for people with slow/limited connections, or if you already know how to use the program.

Sounds. We have 1 bell, 2 bells, 3 bells... 8 bells. Why not just have 1 bell, or maybe 1 and 2, and use code to repeat? This would save over 1MB and not have any sacrifice on functionality.

The world background map is still a bit big, but what can we do? There are 5 levels of detail, this is only level 1, 2, and 3. If the user wants higher they have always had to download it. We could drop back to level 2, and probably save 3mb, then allow automatic download of what level is desired would be great. Many users probably don't need the map at any level, while weather routing and watchdog really benefit from level 5 which was never included.

Now, the package for opencpn could be just 5.5MB or 7MB for windows, less than 1/4th it's current size.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:38   #1642
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
First of all, the documentation is huge and accounts for more than 2/3rds of the package due to many screenshots. I personally would like to see it split off into a separate package and download, or at least have an option to download opencpn without the documentation for people with slow/limited connections, or if you already know how to use the program.
The complete and up-to-date documentation is one of the strong points of OpenCPN, so I would not like to see users without it.

In the scenario for a minimal download - whenever this is the case, 28MB nowadays is really small and who will install new software in the case of a very bandwidth limited situation? - the only way might be an opt-out.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:47   #1643

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Options for download do not hurt, and I like and welcome the idea of dropping one level of gshhs and having a user selection to download each of the more detailed levels. I think that is a very good improvement. Maybe if you are online and hit help the documentation downloads, and then have a separate documentation package that can be downloaded. Slow connections like things broken up into smaller pieces, and small is beautiful.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 08:59   #1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The complete and up-to-date documentation is one of the strong points of OpenCPN, so I would not like to see users without it.
I would like to point out that the documentation is neither complete or up to date for the latest beta, but it is distributed with the beta.
Quote:
In the scenario for a minimal download - whenever this is the case, 28MB nowadays is really small and who will install new software in the case of a very bandwidth limited situation? - the only way might be an opt-out.
28MB is not really small. I am _always_ in a limited bandwidth situation. In some places fees as high as $5 for 50MB exist but then I just have no access. In remote locations internet is very limited, and in many areas in the philippines often with 2g, but speed is 5kb/s and is unreliable so it can take many hours at 1 cent per minute to download. This is from personal experience, and I want to point out that many cruisers frequent these areas.

2/3rds of the download is documentation and is of no value to me. Then most of the other data, I already have and hasn't changed from a previous version. In fact we could reduce the size to 2-3MB for upgrades, and even theoretically we could script it to generate it's own documentation images.

The easiest option to provide "minimal" packages with reduced gshhs level and online documentation would result in packages 5-7MB. Download statistics over time will show how worthwhile it is.
Old 20-07-2014, 04:47   #1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Sounds. We have 1 bell, 2 bells, 3 bells... 8 bells. Why not just have 1 bell, or maybe 1 and 2, and use code to repeat? This would save over 1MB and not have any sacrifice on functionality.
Probably this is true...

I remember taking off our bell (a heavy item indeed) and taking it to the local broadcasting studios to do the recordings... I was quite busy with the "ringabulina" and then doing some quick research on sound file formats before sailing just in time for building the next release... lots of fun indeed.

I do not remember today why I followed the code structure of WxTides, but feel free to squeeze it algorithmically to 1 and 2 bells, if you like!

Cheers,

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 13:00   #1646

I have built two debian packages for armhf and put on sourceforge.

The regular package is 28MB, the minimal package (no docs and less world background chart) is 4.3MB. It took an hour to upload the smaller one so I wait until a better connection for the big one.

opencpnplugins - Browse /opencpn_armhf at SourceForge.net
Old 03-08-2014, 11:06   #1647

I am considering writing a plugin for display of laylines and also one for race start procedures. Anyone knows if something in this area already has been done?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24   #1648
Marine Service Provider

seglar-lulle...

As far as I know, this has not been done.

Give it a try, and let us know if we can help.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26   #1649

Boat: Phantom 19

Have a look at CSC | Kompass für OpenCPN und Chart Navigator - Windows only, closed-source. I would really like to see it as a real plug-in, not another overlaid application.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31   #1650

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

English Translation:
https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Good example! Would also very much like to see option settings to show vectors for Wind Vector (True or apparent wind),
Boat Vector (speed+direction -via GPS or calibrated heading sensor and speedo).
Other Vectors (Current + Leeway -first, then separately later)

The Layline will be affected by these factors!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote