Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 19:15   #151
Marine Service Provider

jonasaberg....

OK, I am running NX2 Race as you have instructed.

I get no crash with the supplied history files, even in Turbo mode played over and over, until the 20 minutes expires.....

Can you give me any more detail about your crash? CPU/OS? Screen contents at crash? Anything else? I'd like to get to the root cause of this crash. It may be related to other random NMEA data crashes with virtual ports....

Regarding DTW/BTW/XTE: I agree that it would be a good thing to allow configurable NMEA output messages on Route->Activate. I'll add it to the list at low priority, unless others have a pressing need for this functionality....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:56   #152
Marine Service Provider

jonasaberg....

Thanks for the dump files.

Congratulations: You win the prize for the fastest multi-core CPU crash using virtual ports!

See the Beta Test/Technical thread for some recent discussion on this. Usually the crash can take hours to manifest.

Workaround (partially effective???):

Start opencpn as usual. Then:
  1. Access Task Manager. (ctrl-Alt-Del)
  2. Choose the Processes tab.
  3. Right-click the process associated with the problem application (opencpn).
  4. Select the Set Affinity command. (If you don't have a dual-core system, you won't see the Set Affinity command.)
  5. From the Processor Affinity dialog box, clear one of the CPU check boxes.
This makes opencpn use only one processor core. It seems to take much longer to fault under one CPU.

Please try this, and let me know the results.

Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34   #153

Boat: Wasa 410
Dave,
It seems to work much better. It has been running now for around five hours with varying "rates" without crashing. I will leave it running over night at 1* rate.

However: OpenCPN started picking up on CPU after a while, it is now running continously around 40-50% and is above 55MB of memory, continously increasing at about 4kb per second.
My system is behaving a bit sluggish, allthough there is of course a chance there is something else hidden that contributes to this.

I am plotting the trace.

Will see tomorrow if this behaviour keeps up. I suspect a memory leak or that all the trace points are kept in memory? In either case it will probably be a problem if running OpenCPN continously for a long time and 40% at my descently fast computer is surprising.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 15:53   #154
Marine Service Provider

jonasaberg....

I am researching your report of high CPU use and memory leak on Nexus playback.

Question: what are your tracking parameters? Time or distance? What are the values set in Toolbox->Etc. for time/distance?

Playback rate?

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 17:38   #155

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Question: what are your tracking parameters? Time or distance? What are the values set in Toolbox->Etc. for time/distance?
Why in modern times of COMPUTERS such a stupid selection?
What a sailor wants is the repeatability of the track. Sailing from Maledives to Suqutra, that was a streight line of 1200nm. Sailing inshore in Sudan between reef and coastline, this was more fun, to much after a few days.

I'd ike a track setting that does record every course change and not depends on a time or distance setting. Here still an allowance could be build in, like this track must be repeated with 0 tolerance or within a quater mile.

Storing vectors instead millions of waypoints might even save some space. Think thats why they invented electronic vector charts ;-)
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 17:57   #156
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
I don't think it's such a stupid selection.

In SeaClear and Nobeltec, they have:
  • Distance
  • Time
  • Course Change
And they allow multiples to be picked.

I think the addition of course change would be nice. And the ability to pick multiple catagories and "or" them.

A combination of those might give you what you are looking for.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 18:44   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Perhaps you should conceive a smart algorithm for what you want and share it. Then perhaps it could be included.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20   #158

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
FWIW, I've found the Seaclear NMEA monitors can be very VERY useful when hooking up nav stuff in a boat and/or trying to fix a problem.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45   #159

Open platform/architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dusan....

Don't see why opencpn could not be ported to TomTom. I guess one would want a unit with hard drive for meaningful chart storage. I'll look into this a little more.

Maybe this is our opensource chartplotter hardware platform/architecture that we have been looking for?

Dave
Another possibly easier option is to port to Windows Mobile, which wxWidgets also supports. For coastal sailors, there are already many convenient choices for a WM phone that also acts as a navigation tool. But maybe really interesting for bluewater sailors, AT&T is releasing a satphone running Windows Mobile ( AT&T announces TerreStar Genus Windows Mobile satellite phone | Cell Phone News and Cell Phone Reviews: HotCellularPhone.com ). It also supports built-in GPS, and Bluetooth (if you want a remote GPS).

Longer term, I think WM will have its work cut out competing with iPhone & Android (obviously also Linux-based, but that would be challenging), but WM is pretty entrenched. And porting OCPN does look pretty easy for this.

re: hard-drive storage - not needed anymore, I think. Nowadays its easy to keep the entire suite of NOAA BSB and ENC charts - they're 5GB total, so they fit on a $15 microSD. And all the phones now support microSD (some older ones use miniSD or SD). If you want more continents, you may want more cards

A few minor changes may still be beneficial for support in OCPN...real mem is still limited on these devices. For example, with the entire suite of NOAA charts, my chart db metadata alone takes over 250KB, most of that from repeated full paths to each chart from two directories.

Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 13:48   #160

Measure from a waypoint etc, via context menu

Currently, the context menu (CanvasPopupMenu) is set to the exact actions available over the mouse cursor, rather than the union of all available ones there. This means you cannot do simple things like right-click over a waypoint or AIS target to measure.

Ideally you'd be able to do anything that the chart stack allows, like an Object query from the nearest ENC while on an RNC, but I know that's more of a stretch.
Old 16-11-2009, 22:46   #161

Load all Icons when OpenCPN is loaded.

I've been trying to figure out OpenCPN for the last three weeks. I like it as it's much easier than any of the nav programs I've tried.

It would have been much easier if all the Icons were loaded at start up or listed in the help file. I've spend many hours trying to figure out how to get to different Icons.
The help file can have a list of the Icons than can be turned off.

I have a file that I have been editing. If anyone would like to review it for content let me know.

Gordon
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 04:33   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmau View Post
I've been trying to figure out OpenCPN for the last three weeks. I like it as it's much easier than any of the nav programs I've tried.

It would have been much easier if all the Icons were loaded at start up or listed in the help file. I've spend many hours trying to figure out how to get to different Icons.
The help file can have a list of the Icons than can be turned off.

I have a file that I have been editing. If anyone would like to review it for content let me know.

Gordon
Gordon, I'd be interested in seeing the content that you've been working on, and I expect others would too.

The term "icon" means different things to different people. What do you mean in OpenCPN? Just the waypoint symbols, or the images on the toolbar, or the symbols displayed on ENC-style charts? Or do you mean the symbols shown on RNC-style charts, or something else that I've missed?

I assume you do not mean the symbology on RNCs (raster charts), because that would be impossible. US chart symbology is summarized in an 85MB file you can get in full or parts here: U.S. Chart No. 1 but that is only for standard US charts. As you can see from threads in this forum, raster charts are not restricted to US chart symbology, or any symbology at all for that matter: I could scan a photo of anywhere on earth, and georeference it, and show it in OpenCPN. OpenCPN isn't aware of symbols on RNCs...an RNC is just a georeferenced picture. Sorry if this is already known and obvious - It's just not clear what you meant.

Mark
Old 17-11-2009, 09:53   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
Gordon, I'd be interested in seeing the content that you've been working on, and I expect others would too.

The term "icon" means different things to different people. What do you mean in OpenCPN? Just the waypoint symbols, or the images on the toolbar, or the symbols displayed on ENC-style charts? Or do you mean the symbols shown on RNC-style charts, or something else that I've missed?

It's just not clear what you meant.

Mark
Sorry for not being clear. The Icons I refered to are in the Tool Bar. The two I refered to are 'Show GPX icon' and 'Show Track icon' in the 'Etc.'
section of the ToolBox.

I just browsed the help file and found 'Show Printing Icon' under 'Settings'.

I'm open to suggestings on how to get my Help file on the internet.

Gordon
Old 17-11-2009, 11:43   #164

Gordon, I expect your work on a better help file will be appreciated.

I assume you've updated the actual OpenCPN help file, tips.html. For starters I suggest you zip the new one with icons, rename to tips.zip.doc and attach it for review here.

After review, Dave or someone with project write access would need to take it and check it in, and the next build will have your improvements.

(or if there's another process folks have used, feel free to educate me too)

Mark
Old 17-11-2009, 19:29   #165

Mark,
Thanks for your offer. It's been a few years that I had anything to do with editing web sites. I think it's best for me to create a web site with the help file.

I did manage to get one going. It's at

gmau

Looking for corrections and additions.

Gordon