Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 00:46   #1531

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
fulup...
I think the informational message (linux and Mac only) might be a good idea. I will try to work it into the next Beta.
Dave
Thank you Dave. Hopeful it should not be too complex. A basic empty test on devices list after /dev scandir should be enough to detect the error.
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:25   #1532

As a feature request/idea would it be possible to :

a/ have a style setup that increases the toolbars size (200%) for use on tablets
b/ have a more user friendly way of changing zoom on a touchscreen tablet ...maybe a slider bar?

Thanks

Mark
OpenCPN installed on a Sony Xperia 10.1"tablet.
mhasting2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57   #1533

Chart shift management

I have a few charts that are in datums that are not WGS84-compatible, but the shift is indicated in the chart, something like, say '0,05 E, '0,12 N

So I'm left with one option: rip the tiff and, using complicated software, re-create the KAP file using the known shift. Or else discard the chart.

I would be really nice if we could, by configuration, shift individual charts. Or by chart directory, in the worst case.

--Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 14:38   #1534

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: Chart shift management

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
I have a few charts that are in datums that are not WGS84-compatible, but the shift is indicated in the chart, something like, say '0,05 E, '0,12 N

So I'm left with one option: rip the tiff and, using complicated software, re-create the KAP file using the known shift. Or else discard the chart.

I would be really nice if we could, by configuration, shift individual charts. Or by chart directory, in the worst case.

--Diego
If your charts are in BsB/KAP format then you can use the GE2KAP program to shift them.

Though I wrote it for an earlier version of GE2KAP you might find my guide here to be of use.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 15:01   #1535

Re: Chart shift management

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
If your charts are in BsB/KAP format then you can use the GE2KAP program to shift them.

Though I wrote it for an earlier version of GE2KAP you might find my guide here to be of use.

Terry
Thanks Terry.

I was thinking about something incorporated into OCPN, so I can use marks are reference.

I could use the DTM instructive to shift the BSB, but I can't correlate the results. I seems that with a few charts just shifting the indicated amount does not produce a good match with WGS84, such as Brazil's 211209.KAP

-Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:50   #1536

Boat: Catalina

A really cool feature would be to have an 'Actual' water depth (calculated).This would only work on vector charts I guess. You could use the tide information and add it to the sounding. Maybe a linear interpolation between tide 'reporting beacons'. A little icon like a bold green circle with the 'calculated depth' inside would be useful.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00   #1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
A really cool feature would be to have an 'Actual' water depth (calculated).This would only work on vector charts I guess. You could use the tide information and add it to the sounding. Maybe a linear interpolation between tide 'reporting beacons'. A little icon like a bold green circle with the 'calculated depth' inside would be useful.
Great idea!
I would like to see the ability to enter the depths of the amendments in the parameters map. + / - Amendment.
After entering the soundings and depth contours should be automatically recalculated, coloring areas to change the color depth. How it is implemented in the viewer can see S-57 SeeMyENC http://www.sevencs.com/files/downloa...eeMyENC.20.zip
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29   #1538

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Great idea!
I would like to see the ability to enter the depths of the amendments in the parameters map. + / - Amendment.
After entering the soundings and depth contours should be automatically recalculated, coloring areas to change the color depth. How it is implemented in the viewer can see S-57 SeeMyENC http://www.sevencs.com/files/downloa...eeMyENC.20.zip
Maybe the ammendments should be available on the cloud somewhere and downloadable to everyone. Possibly a 'sync' button so that what you have added get's uploaded and you get to download everyone elses information.

Kind of a community 'soundings' correction. Now what would be really cool is if the depth sounder on your boat could also be added into the software and it could record at intervals of maybe 1 second along with the GPS coordinates and record that information automatically. This could then be uploaded to the cloud and a correlation with others data calculated (like the median/average value). That would automatically produce accurate soundings which is constantly being updated. This would all have to be time correlated so that the tide information is correctly utilized.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 05:26   #1539

Hi Dave,

just an idea. Would it make sense providing an option for updating the PC clock from the GPS when the PC doesn't have Internet access?
berthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 06:28   #1540

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes maybe, possibly could default back to previous internet clock when the GPS is turned off, but with different OS that may be a challenge. Time is a security issue.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:10   #1541

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
While most clocks derive their time from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the atomic clocks on the satellites are set to GPS time (GPST). The difference is that GPS time is not corrected to match the rotation of the Earth, so it does not contain leap seconds or other corrections that are periodically added to UTC. GPS time was set to match UTC in 1980, but has since diverged. The lack of corrections means that GPS time remains at a constant offset with International Atomic Time (TAI) (TAI − GPS = 19 seconds). Periodic corrections are performed to the on-board clocks to keep them synchronized with ground clocks.

The GPS navigation message includes the difference between GPS time and UTC. As of July 2012, GPS time is 16 seconds ahead of UTC because of the leap second added to UTC June 30, 2012. Receivers subtract this offset from GPS time to calculate UTC and specific timezone values. New or cold started GPS units may not show the correct UTC time until after receiving the UTC offset message. The GPS-UTC offset field can accommodate 255 leap seconds (eight bits).
Something to consider when thinking about using GPST to set the computer clock.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:50   #1542

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by berthold View Post
Hi Dave,

just an idea. Would it make sense providing an option for updating the PC clock from the GPS when the PC doesn't have Internet access?
If there weren't ready made free solution that can happily coexist with OpenCPN and do it, maybe. But I don't see any real reason why not use GPS clock freeware or gpstime - Script that sets system time through a GPS. - Google Project Hosting depending on the platform...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 07:04   #1543
Marine Service Provider

Pavel...

We have code in OCPN to do this. Very old cruft, untested in a long time.

chart1.cpp:7451

Code:
#ifdef ocpnUPDATE_SYSTEM_TIME
//      Use the fix time to update the local system clock, only once per session
    if( ( sfixtime.Len() ) && s_bSetSystemTime && ( m_bTimeIsSet == false ) ) {
Too many ideas, too little time....
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 11:10   #1544
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Given the typical accuracy of computer clocks, and that the main purpose of the computer's clock will probably be "What's the tide?", I would think the issue is meaningless. Unless you plan to use the computer's clock as your sextant chronograph, which is certainly possible but almost certainly not necessary or convenient.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 11:38   #1545

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

I would love to be able to convert the clipper wind sensors MWV and XDR sentence to the VWR sentence required by my ST1000 autopilot.

Don't know if it is possible..

.manitu