Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 01:19   #1516

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Feature Requests-Highlight Pen/Lock indindividual routes

Hi,

as seen in my posting few posts above, I was looking for a "highlight marker pen" feature.
I still think it would be nice to be able to kind of scribble remarks & notes onto the chart that way.

Nevertheless, the above suggested workaround with routes kind of works.

Still, can a feature to lock individual routes be added (while keeping their color setting!)? Maybe via the route manager with a check box?

That way I could lock the routes I use for remarks only.

Thanks.
Old 23-10-2013, 05:30   #1517

Boat: 45' ex-trawler
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'll go out on a branch here and guess that means, in order to keep the database on each ENC chart small, they haven't encoded every sounding. That would require a lat/lon position for each sounding and each sounding perhaps to be a separate record in the database. As a compromise, putting in three records (5, 10, 20 meter) and just encoding the multiple locations in each one, should really compact the data. At the cost of "blurring" the charts and only showing those three depths.

Otherwise, if they are showing more soundings...that other data is out there somewhere, and some other invisible trade-offs are being made. Still, it beats "Here be dragons!".
As far as I know, the fixed-depth contours are based (at least traditionally) on a different surveying method than the spot soundings - and thus have an inherently much higher "resolution", if you will, than what could ever be obtained by interpolating from spot soundings.

The traditional way of surveying as I imagine it, is that you use a "weighted measuring tape" for spot soundings - but for depth contours you use something akin to a fixed-length "stick" with which you trace the contour of the seafloor while moving the surveying vessel so as to keep the stick touching the bottom - the track of the vessel becomes the contour line.

With modern echo-sounder surveys, this distinction might be obsolete and in that case, there is probably a lot of data that's thrown away, to make the end result look like traditional "soundings + contours" charts. However, in my waters most charts are still based on surveys done in the 19th century, and I imagine it's the same in many places.

Since I'm guessing a bit here, I'd welcome someone with more knowledge to correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic, however:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska
as seen in my posting few posts above, I was looking for a "highlight marker pen" feature.
I still think it would be nice to be able to kind of scribble remarks & notes onto the chart that way.
I think this is a good idea, so +1 from me. It might make sense to build upon the POI concept toward a "freeform POI" system, where not only *Points* of Interest, but *Areas* of Interest etc. can be defined. I'm thinking along the lines of how AIS Area Notices work, etc.
maxxflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 05:36   #1518

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You could put a request into Tracker if you want, but you should think about the big picture of "Drawing Tools" needed to have a complete set of requests. (Please don't ask for the whole ball of wax, just the most useful ones and list why it is needed.) It would be worthwhile to start a new thread for discussion of this topic first. It is much better to figure out exactly what is needed, then program, rather than the reverse, so looking at the big picture as well as the precise features is needed. Discussion is valuable in the forums and this deserves a separate topic.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 18:17   #1519

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Ok, I have read the sticky. This is not a feature request, merely an idea, and if it turns into something real it can be put on the tracker.
Maybe this is an ideal application for a plug-in.

I came across this NMEA Barometer....
Bohlken Westerland NMEA compatible high precision barometer barobox
and there is a good description of the protocol here
http://www.bohlken.net/download/nmeadata.pdf

Could be useful....
Old 10-11-2013, 15:34   #1520

Im afraid Im not tech savvy enough to know if the data available here : JIBS Public Viewer

Can easily be integrated in OpenCPN , can anyone advise ?
MichaelRathlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:26   #1521

Boat: Phantom 19

MichaelRathlin...
No, not easily.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 10:42   #1522

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
The Garmin GLO bluetooth GPS has a refresh rate of 10hZ. Intend using the GLO to feed the GPS compass on Dashboard to assist the adjustment of magnetic compasses. Ok, COG etc well understood!

A lubbers line on the display of the 'card' would be very useful when the digital display of heading is flickering a degree or three either way. It is sometimes easier to read the heading from the card. Could this be added to a future update.

My own adapted Dashboard plugin which includes the lubbers line is attached. Also a screenshot.

Mike
good one! works for me!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:34   #1523

Boat: Catalina

I've just been playing with OpenCPN and it looks to be a great piece of s/w. However I have a couple of features/bug fixes (Windows 7):

Using Vector only charts:

1) When I scroll up the screen I don't automatically load the chart that is above the one I'm currently on. It only loads it when my current chart goes off screen. Please advise/fix. It looks like the chart defaults to 'off'
- I have tried various options - Quilting etc

The maps I'm using are in the SF Bay Area, between San Mateo Bridge and heading up to San Francisco.

2) I don't find the options buttons at the bottom on which screen to choose very intuitive. Ideally I would like some form of indication of what the chart is.

3) For the soundings it would also be great if there could be a of rounding up to the nearest whole number. Maybe display the sounding as Bold ?

Great Job though all said and done.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 01:47   #1524

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Linux Ubuntu installation script

Since version 13 OpenCPN does not work out of the box because users are not part of dialout by default. While the command to fix it is present in many different places:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

Why is this command not embedded within OpenCPN installation script ? Many basic users fail to operate OpenCPN on latest version of Ubuntu because of it. As it would be simple to have the command executed automatically at installation time, why not doing it ?
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 02:08   #1525

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: Linux Ubuntu installation script

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

Why is this command not embedded within OpenCPN installation script ?
Although I understand the (very reasonable) reason for this, my vote would be against. Although this is fine for a single user system (the common case for OpenCPN installs), on a multi-user system the installing user is not necessarily the user to run the app. If a user needs a serial data connection and it doesn't work, they will hopefully seek out the (readily available) answer to their problem. If this command is run as part of the installation and it isn't needed (data connections are via the network or the installing user is not the running user) security will be silently loosened and not necessarily noted or corrected.

The above suggestion, whilst generally good in practice, is less ideal from a theoretical security stand point. I'd rather apps didn't muck about with my security config.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 02:40   #1526

Re: Linux Ubuntu installation script

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
The above suggestion, whilst generally good in practice, is less ideal from a theoretical security stand point. I'd rather apps didn't muck about with my security config.
This is my point, it is a very practical case, that respond to 99% of OpenCPN users. I'm a system engineer and adding a group is a none issue for me, but most users are not IT expert.

Either OpenCPN handle properly the case when it does not have adequate access right to "/dev" with a warning providing the command user should enter to solve the issue, or installation script should clean the problem automatically.

Relying on user skill to handle access right issues, it a very good option for preventing most standard user from using OpenCPN on Linux. Isn’t ?
Old 30-11-2013, 05:48   #1527

Boat: Phantom 19

fulup...
There is another OS trying to be smarter than it's operator and knowing what's best for it's user. While we perhaps should implement some sort of visual warning if the ports are not accessible, as a system engineer I highly dislike packages tampering with security settings (spent the last three days recovering our system from the effects of one such package).

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 08:41   #1528

Boat: Dufour 35

I have changed the documentation wiki a bit to make it more ore less impossible for anyone, that checks the FM , to miss the message about belonging to "dialout". It's at the top of Linux installation instructions as well as near the top of the "Connections" page.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25   #1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I have changed the documentation wiki a bit to make it more ore less impossible for anyone, that checks the FM , to miss the message about belonging to "dialout". It's at the top of Linux installation instructions as well as near the top of the "Connections" page.
This is better than nothing, it will not help much for non English speakers, but at least it is crystal clear that opencpn users should below to dialout group.

I sill think that an explicit error message should be display by OpenCPN when it fail to access /dev/tty*. Most people do not understand anything in AC. I see far too often people that fail to operate OpenCPN, just because of basic installation issues.
Old 01-12-2013, 16:14   #1530
Marine Service Provider

fulup...

I think the informational message (linux and Mac only) might be a good idea. I will try to work it into the next Beta.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote