Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 02:46   #1486

Boat: North Beach 24
Re: OpenCPN running on smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Try VNC it allows you to see and control a computer remotely. Works with andoid Windows.Don't kknow about linux

I have thought about that, as a matter of fact I tried TeamViewer at home. It looks good, but will it work when I am cut off from internetconnection and no WIFI-network is available?
titaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:09   #1487

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaantje View Post
I have thought about that, as a matter of fact I tried TeamViewer at home. It looks good, but will it work when I am cut off from internetconnection and no WIFI-network is available?
Well obviously nothing is going to work if you don't have SOME connection between the 2 computers. Teamviewer does work well to control a laptop with an Android over wifi - I do exactly that regularly.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:32   #1488

You need a wifi router on the boat. it does not need to be connected to the internet.
You can test this at home by setting up your VNC connection through your home network and then remove the connection to the internet at the modem. VNC will still work. Any old router will do. Most of them work on 12 volts. I must admit that the whole thing is fairly clunky and I have replaced it with Flytomaps on my android phone as well as the same program on an ipad. You must have full GPS on either device. I look forward to Opencpn being available for android without all of the workarounds. I like the idea of redundancy and so run a Garmin chartplotter, open CPN on a small laptop, an android and Ipad with Flytomaps, which is all a bit too much when I'm rarely more than 10 miles off shore and 50 miles from a destination. Ah, boys and their toys.

Flytomaps was having some copyright issues with their European maps, but I got in early and mine still work. I think their American maps work. Navionics maps are great but not so cheap.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 19:34   #1489

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Feature Requests

Hi all. This is the thread for feature requests?

OK, after the short debate on T or M bearings, got me thinking, a rare event.

One thing I miss on screen is the difference between my course and my intended destination. This is what I call "Leeway" In the example below, I have to steer another 5 degrees to port to lay my waypoint.

This is only when the Autopilot is NOT in "track" mode, but is steering a fixed course. (M or T)

If "O" is going to have M or T bearings available, they must be noted as such on the little dashboard when the route is activated.
BRG changes to BTW

I made this little edited version to illustrate.
Please consider this, but if it is deemed in the greater good to ignore it, so be it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	67463  
Old 18-09-2013, 22:35   #1490

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Hi all. This is the thread for feature requests?

Hi sy_gilana

The best option to Feature Request is to use Tracker/Flyspray.

You have to register before deposit your item but you will be sure that it will be accessible to every (readers, developer...) as long it has not been closed, and, even better, everyone will have the opportunity to vote for it.

The (sticky) thread "Tracker/Flyspray-When-and-How-to-use-it" gives you all the details.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 09:55   #1491

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Ok thanks AISEAG FS#1140 refers.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:07   #1492

Boat: North Beach 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
You need a wifi router on the boat. it does not need to be connected to the internet.
You can test this at home by setting up your VNC connection through your home network and then remove the connection to the internet at the modem. VNC will still work. Any old router will do. Most of them work on 12 volts. .

I guess that will work. But it will consume a lot of power (laptop, router, smartphone). And power is limited, at least on my boat. Another disadvantage is that you don't have direct control over OpenCPN. How stable will the connection be?

Despite the disadvantages I might give it a try. However I"ll stick to my "feature request" for an OpenCPN android app.
titaantje
titaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 09:14   #1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaantje View Post
I guess that will work. But it will consume a lot of power (laptop, router, smartphone). And power is limited, at least on my boat. Another disadvantage is that you don't have direct control over OpenCPN. How stable will the connection be?

Despite the disadvantages I might give it a try. However I"ll stick to my "feature request" for an OpenCPN android app.
titaantje
The ZyXEL MWR102 pocket router runs off of USB power. By specification, this means it needs less than 500 mA. I don't have this router, so can't comment on how well it works. But it's what I would buy if you needed an onboard router.

Another possibility is to set up an ad hoc network from your laptop. This is supported under Windows, not sure about Linux. But then your laptop is hosting a network without the need for a router. You'll probably need to root Android to connect to it, because by default Android blocks ad hoc networks.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 09:29   #1494

Boat: Tartan 37

your android or tablet can host wifi for your pc. No router needed.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:09   #1495

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

titaantje..

Here is an easy way to control your laptop from a tab or phone in your cockpit:

Did a more thorough test today using the WiFi Mouse and it worked perfectly within the common hotspot network I set up with Hotspot Control connecting my tablet to my PC/laptop via TeamViewer. The thing to remember is to set up the various elements in the right order.

1. Hotspot Control from my smartphone,setting up the common hotspot.
2. Connect my PC to the new hotspot
3. Make sure the WiFi Mouse Server is started and running on your PC/laptop
4. Start you WiFi Mouse App on your smartphone and the mouse controls will appear.
5. Start the TeamViewer Server on your PC... the IP numer and password is displayed.
6. Connect your tablet to the hotspot network and start TeamViewer App. on your tablet.
Enter the IP and password shown on your PC
7. You have now established connection between the tablet and the PC.
8. You can now use your smartphone to move the cursor around the PC screen.
9. Switch OFF ´Display mouse cursor....´ in the small TeamViewer Server box displayed at the bottom right of your PC screen. The cursor is now displayed and working on your tablet.

Or, just set up a hotspot and connect it to your Tab or phone and access the commands from the screen. However,I find it more convenient using one of the mouse options. So,no need for an extra router unless you want to connect to the internet when available.

After this,plain sailing!!!

Tore
Old 22-09-2013, 11:10   #1496
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

tita-
A local wifi connection, from computer to router to smartphone all via wifi, should be "perfectly" stable as long as you are with in range of the devices. For many routers and devices that is 25 feet although in the relatively interference-free environment of a boat you might see 50-75' depending on the range/power of each device. They do vary quite a bit.

As I understand it, porting things over to Android is very much shooting at moving targets, because there is so much variation in the hardware support on each device, and so much variation from version to version of the OS itself. With little to no effort from the manufacturers to allow devices to be upgraded as the OS changes. So anything that is even vaguely hardware dependent (like screen resolution and sizes on the display) may become problematic unless the application is coded for lists of devices or options. I don't write the stuff, I just see numerous complaints that this is one inherent weakness holding back Android from total world domination.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 15:01   #1497

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

titaantje..

I have just tested out the hotspot connection mentioned in my # 1495 from a distance of ca. 27 feet and through a corner brick wall with my Galaxy SII phone, with the attached results.

Perhaps this thread is not the right one for this topic.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-22-18-13-29.png
Views:	183
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	67684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-22-18-37-18.png
Views:	153
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	67685  

Old 15-10-2013, 10:37   #1498

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Feature Requests-Simple fast highlighter pen?

Hi,

I recently moved to an area which has many shoals and low water areas.
As I do not know the area to well, I'd love to have a sort of "highlighter pen function" within OpenCpn (controlled by mouse/pen/finger).

This way I could sit over my charts before departure and quickly and very approximate encircle areas which are specifically tricky to my specific route.
Basically mark the virtual chart up with a kind of thick translucent pen. "Ladyrover" has little draft so I do not need to follow the buoyed shipping lanes.

With the highlighter I could see in a very short moment if I approach a danger.

This is not meant to replace any normal tool to add buoys & the like.

Maybe this can be implemented? Plugin?

Would be very cool! Thanks for a great program so far!
Old 15-10-2013, 11:12   #1499
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fran-
Under the "wrench" icon, go to charts, vector charts, and there are options to set "shallow depth" "safety depth" "deep depth". By setting the first two at your draft and comfort levels, you get a very good picture very easily.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 11:51   #1500

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi I tried it,

but I do not think it works fully. See the attached screenshot. (I pressed apply!). My boat has 0.75m draft.

For BSB/N.V. this is not working and they are popular here.

So the highlighter would be good still...

Thanks for your reply though.[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]