Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 14:27   #1

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Dual XGPS150A with Windows & Opencpn

My apologies if this is redundant information, however after not seeing this GPS puck in the "supplementary hardware" of the manual I thought I should post my results for documentation purposes.

The Dual XGPS150A ( Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today ) is a Bluetooth connected, mini-usb charged hockey puck GPS of solid performance that works well with the iPad. I have used it with both car navigation and with Navionics. It has a switch by the mini-USB socket that selects either ios or other (read standard) communication protocol.

There is little info on the web either forums, youtube or the non-existent Dual support forum on its use with windows other than a few comments that it either could not be got to work, or that it could, but with difficulty.

I have one, and this is how you set it up..

1. Select "non-ios" by sliding the mini dip type switch towards the mini USB socket
2. Turn on the XGPS150 and set your laptop to add new BT device. It will discover the XGPS and connect.
3. Windows will then try to install a device driver, and fail. There will be an "!" warning on the device icon.
4. In START>DEVICES & PRINTERS; right click on the XGPS icon and select "properties"
5. In SERVICES; Uncheck Wireless iAP and Check Serial Port, you will see a com port identified. hit OK
6. The "!" warning will have gone
7. In OpenCPN select the com port seen in the device profile and it will work... the XGPS150A provides updates on a once per second basis.

regards,
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 13:57   #2

Re: Dual XGPS150A with Windows & Opencpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
My apologies if this is redundant information, however after not seeing this GPS puck in the "supplementary hardware" of the manual I thought I should post my results for documentation purposes.

The Dual XGPS150A ( Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today ) is a Bluetooth connected, mini-usb charged hockey puck GPS of solid performance that works well with the iPad. I have used it with both car navigation and with Navionics. It has a switch by the mini-USB socket that selects either ios or other (read standard) communication protocol.

There is little info on the web either forums, youtube or the non-existent Dual support forum on its use with windows other than a few comments that it either could not be got to work, or that it could, but with difficulty.

I have one, and this is how you set it up..

1. Select "non-ios" by sliding the mini dip type switch towards the mini USB socket
2. Turn on the XGPS150 and set your laptop to add new BT device. It will discover the XGPS and connect.
3. Windows will then try to install a device driver, and fail. There will be an "!" warning on the device icon.
4. In START>DEVICES & PRINTERS; right click on the XGPS icon and select "properties"
5. In SERVICES; Uncheck Wireless iAP and Check Serial Port, you will see a com port identified. hit OK
6. The "!" warning will have gone
7. In OpenCPN select the com port seen in the device profile and it will work... the XGPS150A provides updates on a once per second basis.

regards,

Hi,

I followed your step by step instructions on my last laptop and everything worked! Thank you. Unfortunately, that machine died and I tried to install opencpn with dual xgps on my new machine but am not able to make it work. It seems that the DUAL XGPS device is connected (the blue light is constant) it says COM3 and I inputted that under dataport. the boat shows up only in black and I can't get it to turn RED (active). I've attached the NMEA log. Any help would be greatly appreciatedClick image for larger version

Name:	opencpn_nmea.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	87931
rslotpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 14:11   #3

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Dual XGPS150A with Windows & Opencpn

rslotpole...
It looks pretty obvious that the GPS does not have a fix, you should probably take it for a walk outside...

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn