Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17   #1

DR construction using the Route Manager

I have put a compiled version of a modified OpenCPN 3.3.1009 on github.

https://github.com/Rasbats/OpenCPN.3...utemanager.git

You can set the DR speed and this will add DR positions to the route, when the Route to DR button is selected. At the same time a track with empty waypoints is constructed.

Lots of errors but it is 'proof of concept' for evaluation/criticism. You may need to re-start OpenCPN to clear garbage DR products before making a new DR route.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33   #2

Re: DR construction using the Route Manager

Mike,

Thanks for looking at track generation.
I did try, but it is still too early to report on crashes etc... still some work ahead, I guess!

I produced a good track and a route once, but deleting the routes leaves behind lots of waypoints.

Just some impressions: perhaps the intermediate waypoints in the working route are too prominent. After all, they are just meant to form rows in the Properties, rather than stick out on chart. So, maybe a "bluecross" icon is enough, if you really want the routes to be non-homogenous?

For my track-to-route I chose 4 hours as default for two reasons: usually GRIB situations come in at 3 hours intervals, so every point has a new forecast. Secondly, 4 hours is a standard watch time... but this is a matter of preference.

Looking forward to final version.

As I recall, it was a very tricky business :-), especially the Date Line crossover!

Good luck,

P.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 06:55   #3

An update of the DR modified routemanager is available at:

The 'Route with DR ...' button brings up a window for choosing a DR route or track with another option for deleting the existing route.

This version relies on the user having a 'DR_symbol.png' file (from github) in the 'UserIcons' folder.

Had some problems with the 'georef.cpp' mercator formulae so I used those in 'Navfunc.cpp' from SaltyPaws.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR_route.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	70282  
Old 24-11-2013, 05:19   #4

Mike,

How is your project going? The last version I tried was not stable enough to report...

But I would dearly like to see the Route-to-Track function available, even in the simplest form. Just point-per-point track will be OK for chart annotations.

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 24-11-2013, 08:57   #5

Piotr,

The 'Route with DR' button on the latest modified version of OpenCPN.exe brings up a dialog box with a 'Route to Track' option. Should be a lot more stable than the first effort.

Quote "This version relies on the user having a 'DR_symbol.png' file (from github) in the 'UserIcons' folder"

I used this symbol for the DR because the blue cross was not showing up very clearly on the route. On the track produced there are only empty waypoints.

Mike
Old 24-11-2013, 12:27   #6

Mike,

Thanks a lot for the new version. You probably should have announced the update of 24 Nov...

Looks good, doesn't crash even at the Date Line... however, just route building seems painfully slow (even before DR dialog is called), and it does crash there, if choosing the Great Circle e.g. from Western to Eastern hemisphere.

I would be happy, if all the defaults were filled, at least from the .ini parameters, so the user just needs to click OK in most cases:

speed - .ini Plan Speed or Route Properties last Plan Speed
hours - it should be possible to choose any number of hours, certainly 12 or 24 might be useful as well

the resulting route and track name might perhaps contain both speed and hours encoded:

e.g. route Tenerife_CaboVerde might result in Tenerife_CaboVerde_DR_5kt_4h for 5kts speed and 4hrs interval

Looks almost ready ,

P.
Old 28-11-2013, 09:13   #7

Hint needed!!!

I would like to manipulate routes from the Navobject using a plugin instead of route manager.

Is it reasonable to go into navobj.xml to retrieve the routes or can this be done using the OpenCPN plugin API?

Many thanks.

Mike

Tags
route