Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 17:37   #16

Re: Does Android opencpn work on new Amazon kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUSchotbruch View Post
Amazing! Thanks for pointing this out.

Some googling found that there is even a 9" tablet from the same company:

http://www.amazon.com/IRULU-Touchscr...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Reviews on amazon are all over the place but at that price I am willing to take a gamble. So I just ordered one. I will report back how it goes
OK, they weren't kidding. Looks like I snagged the very last one they had (as it did say when I placed my order). Only refurbished now, at least from that source.
MastUSchotbruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 19:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Mast....

yep.

Dave
OK, I can report a partial success: The tablet arrived and it is working.

Honestly, I am blown away by what you can get for less than 50 bux. I am sure there will be issues later (I can already tell that the screen brightness is not going to win any prizes) but so far everything works flawlessly with one crucial exception, see below. I had the tablet configured for my google account within 10 minutes, and was playing Traighly Bay from my music library while reading my email on it So far so excellent.

Here is the BUT: When I went to the playstore, I do NOT see the (paid) OpenCPN version that I had seen on my other android device (phone) and which I still see there. In fact, on my phone I see an additional free version from 'Maison automatique' which, I am pretty sure, did not exit last week, at least not on my screen.

This free version is the only one that is visible on my new shiny tablet. Unfortunately, it says it is "not compatible with your device."

So I opened the playstore online. Both opencpn versions appear there. My new device is also already listed (the wonders of google!) as "No carrier Softwinner X9". BUT: For both Opencpn versions, this device is listed as not compatible.

The tablet says it is running Android 4.4.1. Opencpn (both versions) says that any Android after 3.0 should work.

What gives?
Old 30-10-2018, 14:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUSchotbruch View Post
OK, I can report a partial success: The tablet arrived and it is working.

Honestly, I am blown away by what you can get for less than 50 bux. I am sure there will be issues later (I can already tell that the screen brightness is not going to win any prizes) but so far everything works flawlessly with one crucial exception, see below. I had the tablet configured for my google account within 10 minutes, and was playing Traighly Bay from my music library while reading my email on it So far so excellent.

Here is the BUT: When I went to the playstore, I do NOT see the (paid) OpenCPN version that I had seen on my other android device (phone) and which I still see there. In fact, on my phone I see an additional free version from 'Maison automatique' which, I am pretty sure, did not exit last week, at least not on my screen.

This free version is the only one that is visible on my new shiny tablet. Unfortunately, it says it is "not compatible with your device."

So I opened the playstore online. Both opencpn versions appear there. My new device is also already listed (the wonders of google!) as "No carrier Softwinner X9". BUT: For both Opencpn versions, this device is listed as not compatible.

The tablet says it is running Android 4.4.1. Opencpn (both versions) says that any Android after 3.0 should work.

What gives?
Sorry for replying to my own posting. Quite a few things have changed.

First, I have sorted out the battling OpenCPN versions and use exclusively the 'official' one. This worked quite well until early this year (can't really pin it down more precisely). Now there are two problems.

One is that OpenCPN only works with the raster charts. The ENC charts show up as some completely garbled pattern which has nothing to do with what should be shown.

The other is that the digitizer is quite flaky. This means that I tap on something and nothing happens. This is likely a hardware problem with the el cheapo product. It is particularly annoying because the 'reaction time' of the processor, or memory access or whatever, can be somewhat longish. So when you tap (or, rather, stab) the screen and nothing happens it is never clear whether the thing is thinking about it, or whether the digitizer did not work again.

So, not a complete failure but frustrating. It was not a lot of money, and it confirmed that a tablet w/ OpenCPN is nice to have but the hardware is disappointing.

Tags
enc, opencpn